June 8, 2015
Congrats to the Head of the Class for 2015, Kyle Read, Valedictorian & Renee Hunsbeger, Salutatorian
Commencement for the Class of 2015
Be sure to use #PGHS15 when tagging pics/video on Social Media especially Twitter
Commencement will be outside on Pennypacker Field if the weather cooperates. A decision will be made between 3:00 and 4:00 p.m. on whether it will be held indoors or outdoors. This announcement will be posted on the district website, Twitter, Facebook, and sent as a Remind message to all students.
If Indoors - Commencement will be held in the Pottsgrove Middle School Auditorium. Since parking at PGMS is limited, busing will be provided from the soccer field across the street from PGMS and from the PGHS Tennis parking lot. These buses will begin to run at 4:30 p.m. If indoors, graduates will be given four tickets for entry into the Commencement ceremony. There will be an overflow room available in the PGMS Cafeteria.
PCTV Airs Commencement - PCTV will be airing the PGHS 2015 Commencement ceremonies on PCTV Channels, live streaming on the PGSD website, and providing closed circuit television in the PGMS Auditorium.
Laptop Collection and Drop Off - Or Pay the Insurance & Keep Your Laptop all Summer
Complete this paperwork and pay your insurance to keep your laptop throughout the summer. Click here to download the paperwork http://www.pgsd.org//site/Default.aspx?PageID=3938
If you register to keep your laptop over the summer you can ignore the info below.
9th, 10th, & 11 Grade Drop Off
It is expected that all 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students drop off their laptops on June 10, 11, or 12th. Students are to turn in their laptop, power cord, and laptop bag with strap. If you do not turn in any of the items listed or if the items come back damaged or in poor condition, you will receive a bill for payment. Tech Support is located in the Library to answer any questions.
If parent signed up to keep for their son/daughter to keep the laptop over the summer, there is no need to turn the laptop in during this time. No action is needed by the student if the parent arranged to keep the laptop over the summer.
Students may come down before their exam, once they finish the exam, or after the exam times.
Location Drop Off: Auditorium
Wednesday, June 10 7:00 a.m.-Noon
Thursday, June 11 7:00 a.m. - Noon
Friday, June 12 7:00 a.m. - Noon
Senior Drop Off
It is expected that all Seniors drop off their laptops on June 3 or 4th. Failure to do this could jeopardize your ability to receive your diploma in a timely manner. Students are to turn in their laptop, power cord, and laptop bag with strap. If you do not turn in any of the items listed or if the items come back damaged or in poor condition, you will receive a bill for payment. Tech Support is located in the Library to answer any questions.
Location Drop Off: Library
Wednesday, June 3 - 9:00-12:00
Thursday, June 4 - 9:00-12:00
FInal Exam Information
Exams will be administered on June 9, 10, 11, 12,
All students will take English during 6th and 7th period.
7:35 – 9:10 Exam - Math
9:10– 9:25 Break Collection of lab tops & Clean Out Lockers
7:35-9:10 Exam - Science
9:10– 9:25 Break Collection of lab tops & Clean Out Lockers
7:35 until completion - Make Up Exams
If students do not have a final at the time allocated, they may remain home during this time. Buses will run at the regular AM time and then again at 11:00 a.m. after the last Final Exam of the day.
Parking for Senior Class Awards Assembly
- Along Kauffman Road (On the school side)
- Visitor Lot - The visitor lot in the front of the building is available with limited spacing. Please do not park in a numbered space.
- South Parking Lot - You may park in our Student Parking lot and enter through the 400 wing entrance. We will have a staff member there to direct you into the entrance to the 400 wing.
Last Day Letter for PGSD
The last day of school for students will be Friday, June 12th. The last three days of school will be early dismissal days for all students. Students will be dismissed according to the following schedule:
HIGH SCHOOL: Wednesday, June 10th – Dismissal at 11:00
Thursday, June 11th – Dismissal at 11:00
Friday, June 12th – Dismissal at 11:00
MIDDLE SCHOOL: Wednesday, June 10th – Dismissal at 11:45
Thursday, June 11th – Dismissal at 11:45
Friday, June 12th – Dismissal at 11:45
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: Wednesday, June 10th – Dismissal at 12:30
Thursday, June 11th – Dismissal at 12:30
Friday, June 12th – Dismissal at 12:30
Beginning Monday, June 15th through Friday, August 28th, the District will be open Monday through Thursday from 8:00 AM until 4:00 PM and will be closed Fridays.
Have a safe and happy summer.
Renovations Update & Summer Schedule for Offices
- Cafeteria is CLOSED - The cafe lobby, cafe restrooms, and the cafeteria are all closed off to students and staff. Please notify all students that they are to stay out of this area. Also, faculty and staff are also not permitted in this area without administrative approval.
- Gym is now the Cafe - We will be serving lunch out of the gym. Students are to enter at the auditorium side entrance.
- Athletic Wing - The Athletic wing is now open. This will allow students to access the team rooms and open this hallway open to students and staff.
- Music Wing - The Music Wing is open - feel free to come down and see the newly renovated rooms.
- Commencement – If we need to be inside due to inclement weather, commencement will be held in the Pottsgrove Middle School auditorium (We are really hoping for great weather :)
- HS Offices - Office and Guidance Office Moving to Middle School this summer – These offices will be in the middle school library for the entire summer. All phone extensions will remain the same along with office hours of 7:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Athletics – The Athletic Office and athletics area will remain open throughout the summer.
- The HS WILL BE CLOSED, except for the athletic director’s office and entire athletic wing to all guest, teachers, staff from June 15 until sometime in August. If you need to enter the high school for any reason, you will need to contact the HS office first for permission. This is for your safety as the main lobby, instructional wings, café, and the entire library area will be under major renovations. They are holding off on renovating the main and guidance office but they will stilll be doing some wiring and other minor renovations.
Thanks to our PTSA
Thanks to the PTSA for hosting the Post Prom event and the Senior Picnic. The PTSA provides volunteers for the refreshment stand in the stadium and assists in numerous activities in the school.
A BIG THANK YOU goes out to our PTSA officers, Kim Kelly (President), Trish Downey (Vice President), Jamie Sanchez (Treasurer), and Dave Trexler (Secretary). We so appreciate all that they have done to serve our school.
Congratulations to the following new PTSA Officers for next school year:
Pete Robles – President
Kris Scipio – Vice President
Jeananne Lockey – Treasurer
John Coniglario – Secretary
SIP School Improvement Plan 2014/2015
- Establish a district system that fully ensures consistent implementation of standards aligned curricula across all schools for all students
- Instructional Practices - Establish a district system that fully ensures the consistent implementation of effective instructional practices across all classrooms in each school
- Establish a district system that fully ensures students who are academically at risk are identified early and are supported by a process that provides interventions based upon student needs and includes procedures for monitoring effectiveness
Goal 1 Update
- SLO's - Teachers are completing their Student Learning Objectives
- Keystone Increases - All Keystone scores are up from last year at this time
- 1-1 Implementation successfully completed
- Teachers aligned Units of Study to 1-1 DiLE Rubric
Goal 2 Update
- 1-1 implementation shows teacher and student tech engagement up
- Increase use of 1-1 for Mid-term and final exam administration
- Drop in Discipline data since the 1-1 DiLE implementation
- Apple Coach has provided strong and job embedded coaching to teachers
- 3 teachers trained in Penn Literacy Network
- Students in grades 9-11 complete writing prompt in Science, SS, & English
- Increase in AP test takers and AP enrollment for 2015/2016
Goal 3 Update
- Revising Early Release Wednesday to support Keystone interventions, course failure interventions, enrichment, and clubs.
The Principal team shared the plan with faculty on creating an extra period once a week for the following reasons: Keystone interventions, course failure interventions, enrichment, and clubs. We are still working out the details on this with faculty and staff. If a parent is interested in meeting to review this, please contact Mr. Van Horn at email@example.com - This would swap our early release Wednesdays with an extra period once a week that would be 45 minutes in length.
- Drop in discipline data from the previous year