(non-metal)Member of the Carbon Group
With an atomic number of 6 that means the protons are 6 as are the electrons(if the element is unchanged). The atomic mass is 12 and the number of valence electrons equal 4. Carbon is also a member of group 14 and period 2 (so that means it rolls deep), its most common isotopes are c-12(neutrons of 6 and mass of 12),c-13(7 neutrons and mass of 13), and c-14(neutrons of 8 and mass of 14).
Carbon was discovered long ago in prehistory and was known as soot and charcoal. Diamonds war known at about 2500 b.c in China. In 1772,Antoine lavoisier showed that diamonds are a form of carbon; when he burned samples of charcoal and diamond and found that neither produced any water and that both released the same amount of carbon dioxide per gram. In 1779, Carl Wilhelm Scheele showed that graphite, which had been thought of as a form of lead, was instead identical with charcoal but with a small admixture of iron.
Graphs of Carbon
Common (physical) forms of Carbon
- Carbon is quite dense and black,unless it's a diamond then it's colorless
- Has a melting point of 3500c and a boiling point of 4827c
- commonly found everywhere and in every living organism
- found in the compounds CO2 (carbon dioxide) and CO (carbon monoxide)
1. Carbon comes from the Latin word carbo for charcoal
2. Pure carbon is considered non-toxic, although inhalation of fine particles, such as soot, can damage lung tissue.
3. Although the cost can vary from place to place the average cost of carbon per gram is $2.4 for 100 grams or $8.57 for an ounce