Compass Family Update
March 6, 2017
What's happening at Compass?
Monday, March 6, 2017
- No School for Students: Progress Report Writing Day for Teachers
Tuesday, March 7th, 2017
- 6:00PM-7:30PM: Kindergarten Parent Meeting (Maple Class Only, Childcare and Dinner provided)
- 6:30PM-7:30PM: FSC Board Meeting
- School-wide rules meetings for small groups of children in grades K-3
Wednesday, March 8th, 2017
- 8:20AM-9:00AM: Join us in the gym for Community Gathering
Thursday, March 9th, 2017
- Maple Class (Kindergarten) Field Trip to New Victory Theater to see The Way Back Home
- Pine Class (2nd Grade) Field Trip to the American Museum of Natural History Hall of Eastern Woodlands Indians
- Mark Morris Dance Classes Begin for Kindergarten and First Grade
- 8:30AM-10:00AM: Tour for Prospective Families
- New York State Education Department Site visits Compass
Friday, March 10th, 2017
- Elm Class (2nd Grade) Field Trip to the American Museum of Natural History Hall of Eastern Woodlands Indians
Saturday, March 18th, 2017
- 2:00PM-5:00PM: Family Game Party in the Cafeteria
Attendance Letters Coming Home Soon
We will send attendance letters home in the coming days. These letters are to let you know how much school your child has missed so far this school year.
Chronic absenteeism is defined as 20 days of absences or more per year, and we are expected to notify the Administration for Children's Services (ACS) when we are concerned about a child's poor attendance record, even if the 20-day mark has not yet been reached. Chronic absenteeism requires further investigation by school officials, the police, and/or the Administration for Children‘s Services.
We're noticing that many of our students have missed several days of school or have been late to school on a regular basis. We are concerned about the negative implications that come from poor school attendance.
As a school, we are working on a plan for supporting families to ensure all of our students are at school each day. Please reach out if you are experiencing difficulty getting your child to school.
Staff Raffle Winners
Updates from the Studios
Visual Arts Studio Update from Suzanne
Do you or family have a favorite artist? Would you like to visit your child's class and share?
I will be scheduling families to visit throughout the next few weeks as we begin artist studies across the grades. Please reach out if you are interested!
Sustainability Studio Studio from Kirsten
I hope families are able to spend more time outside with this early spring weather. Visit a park or take a walk. Look for robins, blooming crocuses, and plants beginning to sprout. Please join the sustainability studio instagram (@compass_sustainabilitystudio) to follow along with our studio learning.
All the best,
Music Studio Update from Sara
Kindergarteners are beginning their work with hand percussion instruments by thinking about instrument families. Here, the oak class has sorted the instruments into three: wood, metal, and skin.
Our Healthy School Fund: March
If you have not already contributed to the Healthy School Fund for September and October, please do so as soon as possible. We ask that you contribute $30 per child per month. Directions for payment are listed below. Please let us know if you have questions. If you need support in making contributions to the Healthy School Fund, please let us know and we will do our best to support you.
Various ways you can make payments to Compass (for the Healthy Snack Fund, t-shirts, school lunches) include:
- Mail or hand-deliver a Cash, Check, or Money Order to Todd or Chelsea (For the time being, please only give money to these two Compass employees. Haleema, our new Finance Manager, will be setting up a new process for receiving funds in the near future.)
- Venmo: username = compasscharter
- Square Cash = send your contribution to Todd’s work email address: email@example.com.
- Here are slightly sophisticated directions for how to setup an automatic payment through Square Cash if that helps you.
- Chase QuickPay = send your contribution to Todd’s work email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Chase's platform allows you to easily setup a recurring payment.
- Online: https://brooklyncompass.org/donate/
2016-2017 School Year Calendar
Click HERE to access our public Compass calendar.
*Please scroll down to the bottom of the page to see the calendar. We update this often with events such as field trips and FSC events for families.
Compass Charter School
Follow us on Instagram @brooklyn_compass
Feel free to reach out anytime with questions or to catch up. Our contact info is listed below.
Brooke Peters, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction (Grades K-1)
718-310-3588, extension 503
Michelle Healy, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction (Grades 2-3)
718-310-3588, extension 504
Todd Sutler, Co-Director of Strategic Development
718-310-3588, extension 501