Vanguard Information Page
Week of September 5th
From Dean Elsasser
I wanted to share my own experience and work history with you. Right out of high school I went to work as a plumber, working in a ditch. I worked through college as an apprentice plumber and took any job I could get dry-wall, construction, even Red Lobster. I graduated with an Industrial Technology degree from the University of Nebraska- Lincoln and eventually became a construction manager in DFW building traffic signals, highway lighting and utilities. That road eventually took me to MISD and Vanguard. This photo is of my son on one of my job sites! Starting them young!
Thanks for another great week, Vanguards! We will see our students back at school on Tuesday, September 6th!
Vanguard Spirit Week!
Some other things that will be happening during that week:
- We will be having special dress days for the week that we will announce next week.
- Students can purchase jeans passes for $2 a day or $10 for the week beginning September 12th.
- All funds will benefit advanced academics and go to help pay for AP testing.
- On Friday, September 22nd students can wear mums and garters. Our student council and advanced academics are sponsoring a mum-making event called mum-age and fun-age!
- Students can purchase a mum-making ticket for $25, or a week of jeans and a mum-making bundle for $30 If you are interested in making a mum with Student Council and Advanced Academics please fill out the Google Form. Numbers are limited!
Meet the Dean Night
Open Weight Room and Gym
Students took advantage of our weight room and open gym that started this week!
Archery has begun!
Archery has begun at Vanguard!
HOSA -Health Occupation Students of America
Vanguard HOSA, our Health Sciences CTSO, held its first Officer elections yesterday. All of the nominees did an amazing job with their speeches. Congratulations, to the following students on becoming Vanguards FIRST HOSA Officers:
Reporter: Ana Ascenio
Historian: Zayra Estrada
Secretary: Alijah El-Hauaq
Vice President: Giselle Rose Aquino
President: Daniela Aguilar"
Vanguard Fall Family Campout
Vanguard Outdoor Education is excited to announce our first family campout of the year!
When: November 18-20, 2022
Where: Lake Ray Roberts State Park Isla DuBois
Cost: $25 per family (Payments will be made available to awarded student InTouch accounts on October 17th-21st)
Interest form filled out by October 16th at 11:59pm.
Spots will be awarded on October17th. Only 20 family spots are available.https://tinyurl.com/yc3kpuakak
- September 15th- October 15th Hispanic Heritage Month - We have many fun things planned to celebrate and learn about Hispanic Heritage!
- September 16th - Junior class Jostens Ring Presentation
- September 21st- Jostens on campus for ring orders
- Week of September 19th - September 22nd - VANGUARD SPIRIT WEEK and COLLEGE AND CAREER WEEK (Details coming soon!)
Meet the Dean Night 6:00 pm-7:00 pm at Vanguard High School
- October 14th- Manufacturing Day
- Week of October 3rd - First District Checkpoints
- Fall Festival TBA
- October 25th - PSAT Day!
- End of October - Red Ribbon Week!
- Discovery Night (Details coming soon!)
- November 18th - 2nd Annual Turkey Tourney Kickball Tournament! (Revitalized- bigger and better than last year!)
- December 10th - Winter Formal
AP Exams are $60 each. $40 each if your child is eligible for free or reduced lunch.
Exam fees are due by Nov. 1st. There is no refund for the exam fee.
Exams should be paid for by debit/credit card through Total Registration.
Students should have created an account in their AP class(es).
Student Parking Pass
Parking stickers must be on vehicles starting Monday!!!
Every vehicle parked on campus must be registered with the office and have an approved 22-23 parking sticker. VHS student drivers MUST Park in the designated student parking lot located at the back of the building. Parking stickers will cost $20 each.
To get a parking sticker, follow these steps:
Step 1 - Complete and submit this form. You must have a valid driver's license and proof of insurance.
Step 2 - Pay $20 for your parking sticker via cash/check/credit card. Parents can pay with Credit Card through the MISD Online Payment and Registration Portal. Cash and Checks will be accepted by Mrs. Kathman C130.
Do you have something positive to share about Vanguard students, faculty, or incoming Vanguards? We would love for you to share celebrations through this Google Form! Your submission may be shared on social media or the VIP!
This student looks fantastic in his solid color polo, khaki pants, and lanyard with ID clearly visible!
This student is displaying her ID badge and lanyard visibly over a military hoodie and black pants.
College or University Pride!
This student is wearing a college shirt with khaki pants, visible ID badge and lanyard, and solid colored hoodie.
This student looks great in her Vanguard Emerging Leaders shirt with khaki pants with visible ID and lanyard! Vanguard shirts will be available for purchase soon! Look for more info in the upcoming VIP soon!
Shorts are great too!
This student looks ready for the weather wearing black shorts, solid red polo, and a visible ID badge and lanyard!
Crocs are cool, but they must be in sports mode while on campus like these students are showing!
Shorts are great too!
Student ID Badges
Students are required to have Student ID badges visible at all times, this is for the safety of the students and Vanguard High School Campus.
If students do not have an ID badge they will be charged $5 for a replacement. This includes if a student scratches off picture, puts a sticker over the original pictures or in some way alters the original picture on the ID Badge.
Thank you for helping us keep your student and Vanguard High School safe