Thursday, January 24th, 2019
- January 24 & 25: Auditions, Northwest Children's Theatre, after school in the MPR
- January 25: Family Breakfast, 6:45 AM
- January 26: Honor Choir Performance, Lake Oswego High School
- February 5: Chinese New Year
- February 6: Professional Growth Wednesday, students dismissed at 12:10
- February 6: PTSO Meeting, 6:30 PM, Sunset Library
- February 8: Kindergarten field trip, Oregon Children's Theatre 8:15-12:00
- February 13: Grade 5 full day to JA Biztown
- February 15: Kindergarten to Tanner Springs, 12:00-12:40
- February 20: Professional Growth Wednesday, students dismissed at 12:10
- February 22: Preschool Open House between 10:00-11:00, preschool classrooms
- February 28: STEAM Night 6:00-7:30 PM (Science, technology, engineering, arts & math)
Sunset PTSO News
- Please join us Friday for Sunset’s Family Breakfast. Breakfast will be served before school from 6:45 to 7:45 am. It’s not too late if you didn’t prepay, you can pay at the door. Breakfast is $6.50 for adults and $5.50 for children.
- We’d still love to have some volunteers for breakfast. We are still in need of money takers from 7:00-7:45, line people from 6:20-7:00 and 7:00-7:45. We also need people who would be able to help clean up from 7:45-8:15. Please see the PTSO website for volunteer details.
- Reminder: NWCT auditions are today, January 24th and Friday, January 25. K-1 at 2:30, 2nd and 3rd 3:30 and 4-5 at 4:30.
1/24-1/25 NWCT auditions after school
1/25 Family Breakfast 6:45-7:45 am
2/6 PTSO Meeting 6:30-7:30
Lunar New Year Celebrations at Sunset School - the week of February 4th!
One of the things that makes Sunset Primary so special is our status as a Chinese World Language school. We have a wonderful instructor, Lily Yu, whose weekly Chinese lessons are energetic and engaging. If you were to pop your head into her classroom in the next few weeks you would hear children exchange greetings, talk about their favorite foods, and ask and answer questions about the animals of the zodiac- all in Chinese! Classroom teachers are learning alongside the children, modeling the growth mindset we ask students to demonstrate every day. It’s really something to see. Earlier in the year Chinese lesson themes included family members, counting, and colors. All of those lessons were dynamic, but there’s an extra-special buzz in the air right now because the current lessons are leading up to a school-wide Lunar New Year celebration!
During the week of February 4th, our school will will be swept up in Chinese learning and celebration. Children in every class have been working on traditional decorations which will adorn our hallways. The official launch of Lunar New Year is February 5th; first thing in the morning we’ll have our annual visit from the Chinese lion dancers. We hope you’ll join us for the assembly and feel the magic for yourself! We encourage students and visitors to wear red that day in the spirit of celebration. On Thursday, the cafeteria will be serving vegetable spring rolls free of charge to any student who would like one. (Please contact the office for ingredient information.) On Friday, following a presentation about our sister school in China, classes will cycle through special Chinese New Year activities- ping pong and jianzi (Chinese hacky sack) a chopstick challenge, and time with the Chinese dragon.
Please contact Willow McCormick with any questions or if you’d like to volunteer! She can be reached at email@example.com.
STEAM Night at Sunset School - February 27 & 28, 2019
Science Fair boards are available for sale in the office for $3.00.
The Seasonal Flu is making its rounds!
Kindergarten and Preschool Registration for 2019-2020 is now open!
Sunset Primary Preschool Registration is currently open for the 2019-2020 school year. We offer both a 3 day program and a 4 day program.
3 Day Program
*Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday mornings
*Enrolling students 3 to 5 years old
4 Day Program
*Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday mornings
*Enrolling students 4 to 5 years old
To learn more about our preschool programs and meet the teachers, please join us for an Open House on Friday February 22, 2019 between 10:00am - 11:00am. Come and see how we support early childhood development in a caring, joyful, and educational environment. We look forward to seeing you!
World Cultures Celebration
Do you share a strong connection to a wonderful country?The World Cultures Team wants to invite you to present at our first ever World Cultures Celebrations here at Sunset on April 18th! This is a great time to share with the community about your family's cultural heritage, connection to a country or meaningful experience. We are looking for families to present a poster of their country, as well as share items, food, pictures, currency, clothing and anything else that connects them to the wonderful culture they are sharing. If you and your family are interested in presenting please contact Mrs. Stoutt at firstname.lastname@example.org, or let your student's teacher know! We can't wait to celebrate the wonderful cultures that make up the Sunset Community!
Join West Linn's Safe Routes to School Open House - January 29th
West Linn Softball Registration now open
West Linn Girls Youth Lacrosse
West Linn Girls Youth Lacrosse will be hosting two FREE Try Lax events open to all 1st - 8th grade girls. Come out have some fun & give lacrosse a shot! We supply all the equipment and no registration required - just show up and have fun!
* Sat, Feb 2, 3:00 - 4:30 pm at Rosemont Middle School
* Sun, Feb 10, 3:00 - 4:30 pm at Rosemont Middle School
More details can be found at the following link: