Welcome back, Seniors!
Updates from the College & Career Counselor, Sheri Crigger
College & Career Counselor Introduction
Financial Aid Update
- The application can be found online at www.fafsa.gov, and it is FREE! Make sure you go to the correct website to get started.
- There's TONS of information on the FAFSA website to help you - a list of documentation needed, a list of questions found on the application, and more. Find all this helpful information at https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa.
- Start by creating an FSA ID for both student and parent. (If you previously had a Federal Student Aid PIN, it is no longer valid. You must have the FSA ID to apply for financial aid this year.)
- Begin gathering your documentation now!
- Consider filing your taxes early this year. After e-filing your taxes, you can access your income and tax information directly by using the IRS-data-retrieval tool within your FAFSA application. This saves time and also ensures accuracy!
- The earlybird gets the worm! Some federal funding is distributed by the college and is limited. Submit your FAFSA early to have the best chance at this funding!
Need help completing the FAFSA?
It's scholarship season!
College Scholarships - Some colleges have a specific scholarship application that must be submitted online. Make sure all your materials are submitted, and don't miss the deadlines! Coming soon - Auburn scholarship deadline is Feb 10, and Calhoun deadline is March 1.
Local Scholarships - January - March is a busy season for scholarships. All local scholarship information is posted in Naviance. Log into your account @ succeed.naviance.com and click "Colleges" then scroll to the bottom for the "Scholarship List". Click on each scholarship to learn about eligibility and to access the application. Check this list often to see what's new!
Check out some of the scholarships currently posted - log into your Naviance account to access the list.
- Delta Sigma Theta Tuition Scholarship: up to $3500; 3.0+ GPA; African American Students; Deadline: January 15th
- Huntsville Council of PTA's: $500; two per school; Deadline: March 1st
- College Counts: $2000-4000; GPA 2.75+; ACT 26 or below; based on financial need; Deadline: April 22nd
- Auburn Club: up to two semesters of tuition; must be accepted to Auburn; Deadline: March 1st
- Redstone Federal Credit Union: Multiple $2000 scholarships; member in good standing; Deadline: February 29th