The Wright Review
2015 - 2016 Third Grade Weekly News
It's beginning to Look a Lot Like Winter...
Please, encourage your child to wear and bring warm clothes to school. We are going to see single digit degrees soon. We like to take the kids outside for recess as often as possible and will likely go outside until the temperature drops below 10 degrees.
We watched this fun video in class. Several kiddos wanted to see it on the blog, too!
Kid President’s 25 Reasons To Be Thankful!
Door Decoration Winners!
Each class was asked to create a door decoration showing the lifelines of fairness or gratitude. Our class used the phrase "Flip your attitude into gratitude." We thought about the things we typically complain about and flipped it into showing gratitude. Due to the kid's amazing words, WE WON! We took the grand prize for the school. Their humble and grateful hearts won the class extra recess :)
Fit Gram in Gym
Place Value and Lots of Questions
What a busy week and a half! Here is a quick break down:
- GENIUS HOUR! We successfully completed another week with our Genius Hour projects. The task has been daunting but fun! Some are flying through with colors and others are hitting road blocks - our stumbling blocks allow us to learn :) We also read Rosie Revere, Engineer. We learned how to use our failures to grow.
- Computer Skills: Due to Genius Hour, the kids had to pick up some needed computer skills. So far, they've learned: how to copy/paste, how to use keyboard shortcuts and how to access their Google Drives.
- Math: We kicked off our Unit 5 study. Due to a quick pre-assessment, I discovered the class had a lot of strengths in place value. We have moved quickly and will take time in the more needed areas - decimals and reading large numbers.
- Reading: We continued our progression with asking and answering questions. I love how they have gone from asking quick, easy questions to asking and thinking in open-ended questions. Strong readers ask questions continuously to stay engaged with the material.
Scholastic Book Orders
If you would like to order books for your child through scholastic's website, please click on the link above. Checks can still be sent to the classroom and I will mail the orders.
Here is a look into next week:
- Math: Place Value Practice
- Reading: Visualizing and Sequence
- Writing: Research Writing - FINALLY our kickoff lesson!
- Grammar: Dependent and Independent Clauses
- Science/Social Studies: Civilizations - we're creating our own!
- Thanksgiving Break: Nov. 25-29th (NO SCHOOL)
- OLSAT Practice Test: December 4th
- OLSAT Testing (3rd Grade): December 7th