August 30, 2019
Mrs. Akers' Top Three - Ep #201 for 8/30/19
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- Monday, September 2nd - Student Holiday
- Tuesday, September 10th - Texas Roadhouse Night
- Tuesday, September 10th - Back to School Parent Night 5-5:30 or 5:45-6:15
- Wednesday, September 18th - Adventure Dash Fundraiser Kick-Off
- Tuesday, September 24th - Watch Dog Orientation
- Friday, September 27th - Adventure Dash Fun Run! During Large Group
- Monday, October 14th - Book Fair all week!
Tuesday, October 15th from 4:30pm-6pm - Book Fair Family Night - Early edition
Thursday, October 17th from 6:30pm-8pm - Book Fair Family Night - Later edition
Parents, thank you so much for your patience with the car rider process this week. Students are still learning their car rider numbers, so it is taking longer than usual as we have to look up the names of many numbers when students do not respond when they see their number. It would help us so much if you would go over your child's car rider number with them. We have significantly MORE car riders in the car rider line this year. On Wednesday alone we loaded students into more than 150 cars. At this time, the majority of our bus routes are finished dropping students at home before our car rider line finishes loading. If you would like to switch your child to try riding the bus, please send a note to the front office.
How was school?
Not getting much response when you ask your child "How was school today" or "What did you do at school today"? This is totally normal. It is such a broad question, children often struggle to think of any response. Try asking more specific questions such as, "Did anything funny happen at school today?" or "Who did you play with at recess today?" Here are some other questions to try to connect with your child about their school day:
- What made you smile today?
- Can you tell me an example of kindness you saw/showed?
- What was the book about that your teacher read?
- Who did you play with at recess?
- What was the best thing that happened today?
- Did you help anyone today?
- Did you learn something you didn’t understand?
- What is something you heard that surprised you?
- What is something you saw that made you think?
- Tell me something you know today that you didn’t know yesterday.
- What is something that challenged you?
- What questions did you ask at school today?
- What are you looking forward to tomorrow?
- What are you reading?
- What was the hardest rule to follow today?
- Teach me something I don’t know.
- What made your teacher smile? What made her frown?
- What kind of person were you today?
- What made you feel happy? proud? loved?
- Did you learn any new words today?
- What are you looking forward to at school tomorrow?