December 20, 2021
Join us for Community Forums About our Bond Election
January 6: 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. @ Wahitis Gym
January 13: 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. @MMS Commons
January 20: 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. @ OHS Corridor
January 27: 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. @ MMS Commons
February 2: 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. @ Wahitis Gym
Our Board of Directors has voted to place a $51 million capital projects bond on the February 8, 2022 ballot. The bond plan seeks to improve overcrowding conditions at Othello's elementary schools and to create a more modern learning environment at Othello High School.
Bond projects include:
- Replacing the OHS 600 wing with 18 new general education and 3 new science classrooms. The new addition would also connect the 400, 500, and 700 wings to improve traffic flow and campus security.
- Adding a new competition gym with a capacity of 1,500 to allow events that accommodate the entire student population at one time.
- The expansion of McFarland Middle School to accommodate all of our district's 6th grade students, relieving overcrowding issues at each elementary school.
- Construction of a new Food Services central warehouse on a property owned by the district near our Regional Transportation Cooperative building. The new warehouse will have expanded cold and dry storage space, and will help improve operational efficiency in that department. Safety will also be improved by eliminating truck deliveries from Juniper St., adjacent to the OHS campus.
- New gymnasiums at HIA, LUT, and SCO that are equal to the gym at WAH. This creates equity between elementary facilities and improves building functionality.
The Scootney Springs multipurpose room in use during lunch service.
A small classroom in the 600 wing of OHS.
Children playing hockey in the Hiawatha Multipurpose room.
OHS Girls Wrestling Coaching Staff Receives Honors
Lupe, Mark and head coach Rafael Ruiz were also chosen by the WSWCA (Washington State Wrestling Coaches Association) board to be the Mat Classic 2020-2021 "Coaching Staff of the Year" for last year's performance!
Thank you, OPD
Winter Weather Closure/Delay Decision Making
School Board Update
December 15, 2021 Meeting
Jenn Stevenson reported that she plants to contact potential new legislators depending on whether our area is moved into a new legislative district.
NSBA Conferences Update
Student board representative Elise Garza reported on changes to the National School Board Association Conference plans. Meetings with congressional representatives will occur virtually.
Ken Johnson reported that more than 7,000 food items were collected in our schools for their annual Christmas Baskets food drive!
Student Rep Reports
Elise Garza and Consuelo Lamilla provided reports on activities in our schools including canned food drive competitions. Elise Garza discussed a student representative networking meeting that occurred earlier in the week.
The board discussed and approved required approval items including past meeting minutes, accounts payable warrants, and personnel orders.
Superintendent Informational Items
Pete Perez shared information about changes to the Valedictorian and Salutatorian selection process. A committee at Othello High School made recommendations to make changes to the policy, which can be read here. The changes will take effect for the class of 2023.
Mr. Perez also the November 2021 financial report with the board.
The board entered into an executive session for approximately 15 minutes to discuss the performance of a public employee. No action was taken following the executive session.
Watch the entire board meeting below
Othello School District
Questions about OSD QuickNews? Contact Ed Petersen, Director of Public Relations & Communications.