SEPTEMBER 24, 2020
An honest person is truthful and does not lie, steal, or cheat.
“The measure of a man’s character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.” - Thomas Babington Macaulay
Learning Options Changes - DEADLINE FOR PLACEMENT CHANGES - SEPT. 30 @ 5PM
This information was sent out by Central Office via email on September 17, 2020. It is your opportunity to change your child(ren)'s learning option for 2nd nine weeks.
- If you want to change from Full-time Virtual or Blended to Face-to-Face learning (which is currently staggered with three days of remote learning), you will complete this form.
- If you want to change from Face-to-Face learning (which is currently staggered with three days of remote learning) to Full-time Virtual or Blended, you will complete this form.
- If you are a Full-time Virtual student and want to add or remove your Blended option, you will complete this form.
- If you do not need one of the above changes, you do not have to complete this form.
As promised, we are now accepting requests for Pre-K to 8th-grade students to change their current learning option placement for the second nine-weeks grading period which begins on October 19th.
If you want to stay in your current learning option placement (in-person with remote possibilities, full-time virtual, or blended), you don’t have to do anything. You only need to submit a request if you want to make a change.
You will have to be signed in via Google using your student’s school email address in order to use the form. Please use this link to reach the change request form. This form will close at 5:00 pm on September 30.
Half-Way Day - Friday, September 25, 2020
RFB does not send home traditional Progress Reports to be signed but instead asks our stakeholders to participate in Half-Way Day. The objective of Half-Way Day is to advance our half-way point progress reporting methods to provide a more meaningful line of communication between students, parents and teachers. Let’s use our technology to increase the flow of information while decreasing the mis-communication caused by sending home a static grade report. You will be asked to check your child's current academic progress in INow and acknowledge that you have reviewed the grade on the Google Form provided by the academic teams.
Today's Football Game
Due to the threat of inclement weather, today's football game against Berry Middle School @ SPHS was rescheduled for Monday, September 28th at HOOVER HIGH SCHOOL. Tickets purchased for today's game through GoFan will be honored on Monday. We hope to see you there.
The school's fiscal year ends on September 30th. We appreciate the parents who have already paid the fees for the 20-21 school term. While the look of the year is different, our preparations for the arrival of your child remained the same. We currently have an outstanding bill for locker servicing which took place this summer and for student agendas. All students who are Face-to-Face at any point throughout the course of the school year will be billed for locker use. Student agendas were pre-ordered for each student. Virtual students may pick up their agendas any day between 7:30-4:00 in the main office.
COVID Exposed and COVID Positive
Parents, please remember, it is very important to call the health room if your child has been exposed to or is positive for Covid 19 as soon as this information is known. This will help determine if your child needs to stay at home and for how long and if anyone in their class will need to stay home from school as well. It's the best way to contain any potential spread. Thank you.
If you have questions or concerns, we are here to listen and will always respond. You can email us directly or through email@example.com
Dr. Tamala R. Maddox, Prinicipal firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Justin Jones, 6th grade Asst. Principal email@example.com
Ms. Donna Burke, 7th grade Asst. Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Sean Colosimo, 8th grade Asst. Principal email@example.com
Dr. Tamala R. Maddox
Contacting and Visiting Us
Our firstname.lastname@example.org email address will continue to be open if you have questions. Our website will be updated frequently with up-to-date information. We request that everyone entering the building wear a mask (of some form) to protect us all. If you need to go beyond the lobby area into the building, we will also need to take your temperature. Thank you for your patience.
STUDENT SCHOOL PICTURES
MAKE-UP PICTURES - We will let you know as soon as we set a date.
INFORMATION FROM OUR SCHOOL NURSE, MRS. SCHMITH
Parents, please remember, it is very important to call the health room if your child has been exposed to or is positive for Covid 19 as soon as this information is known. This will help determine if your child needs to stay at home and for how long and if anyone in their class will need to stay home from school as well. All information that is discussed and obtained will be kept confidential and not disclosed to anyone. (except Dr. Maddox, Mrs. Phillips, HCS lead nurse and Health Department (if necessary)) without your permission.
Please see link below for guidance when your child has to be home due to COVID.
You can contact the Nurse Schmith in the health room at 205-439-2230 or email at email@example.com
Thank you for allowing us to keep your child safe and healthy while at school.
All students, virtual, in person, and in all grades, are welcome.
BUMPUS SPIRIT WEEK - SEPT. 28 - OCT. 2, 2020
PARENT HOME PORTAL INOW INFORMATION
ATTENDANCE - MRS. PHILLIPS
Attendance questions? Please email Mrs. Phillips at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (205) 439-2268
- For the first 4-week staggered schedule: Please make every effort to make appointments on the student's virtual days so valuable, in-person instruction is not missed.
- A parent/doctor note is still required within three (3) days of returning in order to excuse an absence or check-in/out and can be dropped in the excuse boxes in the main lobby or throughout the school.
- Anticipated absence forms need to be filled out entirely with parent and all teachers signatures, and turned into the 2nd floor office for approval at least three (3) days prior to the anticipated absence in order for it to be excused. Anticipated Absence Forms should include all consecutive school days within the requested time (including in-building and out-of-building days). Students can pick up the form in the 2nd floor office or download it off the Attendance page on the Bumpus website, have parents fill out and sign, and then have students bring it to school for the teachers to sign prior to turning back in to the 2nd floor office for approval.
NEWS FROM OUR COUNSELORS
Mental Health During COVID-19: Signs Your Child or Teen May Need Extra Support
The stress, fear and uncertainty created by the COVID-19 pandemic is challenging for all of us, however children and adolescents may have an especially tough time coping emotionally. Feeling depressed, hopeless, anxious, or even angry during the COVID-19 pandemic may be signs your child needs more support during this difficult time.
It's normal for children and teens to feel sad and experience anxiety during this time. Your child could likely benefit from extra mental health support if they have:
· changes in mood that are not usual for your child, such as ongoing irritability, feelings of hopelessness or rage, and frequent conflicts with friends and family.
· changes in behavior, such as stepping back from personal relationships. If your ordinarily outgoing teen shows little interest in texting or video chatting with their friends while stuck at home, for example, this might be cause for concern.
· a lack of interest in activities previously enjoyed
· a hard time falling or staying asleep, or starting to sleep all the time.
· changes in weight or eating patterns, such as never being hungry or eating all the time.
· problems with memory, thinking, or concentration.
· changes in appearance, such as lack of basic personal hygiene (within reason, since many are doing slightly less grooming during this time at home.)
· an increase in risky or reckless behaviors
· thoughts about death or suicide or talking about it
Please seek help and support from your pediatrician or a mental health practitioner if you feel your child or adolescent is exhibiting any of these symptoms.
If you are immediately concerned about your child or a friend, text Crisis Text Line at 741741 or call the Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). These services are free, confidential and available 24/7.
Mrs. Catherine Bruno - 6th grade Counselor email@example.com
Mrs. MaryAnn Grear - 7th grade Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Brennita Keith - 8th grade Counselor email@example.com
The Crisis Center 205-323-7777 (24 hrs) TEXT 205-328-5465
Teen Link 205-328-LINK (5465) Kids Line 205-328-KIDS (5437) available 3-10pm
The Trevor Project 866-488-7346 Jeffco DHR 205-423-4900
Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-7233 Shelby Co DHR 205-669-3000
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 800 273-TALK (8255) OR text TALK to 741741
PIRC (Psychiatric Intake Response Center) - 205-638-PIRC (7472)”
NATIONAL SUICIDE PREVENTION AWARENESS MONTH
Next week, we will be acknowledging National Suicide Prevention Awareness Month. Each day of the week, students will be able to visit their school counselor's google classroom for information such as:
- warning signs that someone may be feeling suicidal or wanting to hurt themselves
- information about how to get help at our school
- free resources for students outside of the school
Feel free to look at this information with your student. The information takes less than 5 minutes to look over and is in a simple format.
If you would like to receive a copy of the information please contact Jennifer McCombs (District Intervention Counselor) at 205-439-2226 or firstname.lastname@example.org
DATES TO REMEMBER!
9/24 - Virtual Students pick up ordered Spirit T-Shirts - Main office- 10-2 pm
9/25 - Progress reports - Half-way day - Go to Inow Home Portal to view grades.
9/26 - XC @ Veteran's Park
9/28 - Football vs Berry @ HHS (Re-scheduled....note location change)
9/28 - Volleyball vs Lib. Park
9/29 - XC Hoover Championship @ Veterans Park
10/1 - Football vs Simmons @ HHS
BUMPUS 2020-2021 DEBATE TEAM
ATHLETIC TICKETS - PURCHASE THROUGH GOFAN
PE Instagram : bumpus_bucs_p.e
HHS Swim and Dive TEAM
Congratulations to the following Bumpus students who made the HHS Swim and Dive Team - Caroline Chambers, Lilly Fu, Jadyn Lite, and Ella Mayfield! They will compete on Sept. 29th @ the VHHS Sprint Invitational.
CROSS COUNTRY - The Cross Country Team will be competing in the Spain Park Invitational on Saturday September 26th.
GIRLS GOLF - Any 7th and 8th Grade girls interested in playing golf, please email or call Coach Heard to get more information!!
Email - email@example.com Office Phone - 439-2258
Tryouts for Girls Basketball, 7th and 8th graders, will be held after school on Monday, October 5th and Tuesday, October 6th after school from 3:30-5pm. Please make sure you login to Dragonfly and get all your info in BEFORE tryouts! You cannot tryout if you do not have the necessary documents uploaded. Please see Coach Holden or Coach Hudson if you have any questions. Thanks, and Go BUCS!'
7th and 8th Grade Boys Basketball tryouts will be Oct. 19-20 from 3:30 - 5:30 in the Competition gym. All students must have an AHSAA physical and Hoover consent form on file. Rides MUST be here on time for pickups. Any questions, please contact Coach Jeffries at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205- 439-2235.
WRESTLING - All 7th and 8th graders interested in wrestling, see Coach Smith in room A220, at the start of your ETA. Google Classroom code: zwrlcrq
BUMPUS FACE MASKS
The masks will continue to be available through 9/30, or until sold out. Thanks!
The Whole Scoop
Treat yourself to some delicious ice cream and other yummy treats at The Whole Scoop on October 1st from 4pm- 8:30pm. Bumpus will receive a portion of all sales during that time period!
A big thanks to all who came out to Chick-fil-A at the Grove on Tuesday night. Your support is greatly appreciated!!
Spirit shirts are available for purchase through MySchoolFees (MSF). AS-AXL are $15 and 2XL-3XL are $17. DEADLINE TO ORDER IS OCTOBER 18TH AT MIDNIGHT.
If you have a friend or family member that would like to purchase a spirit shirt, but they do not have a child at Bumpus, they may still purchase the shirts on MSF’s. The shirts are available under the public fees section. To access, the person would need to create an account on MSF (if they do not have one) and add Bumpus Middle School. If they already have a MSF account, they would just need to add Bumpus Middle School. Click the “show public items” tab, click “Bumpus Middle”- show fees and then select “spirit shirt”. Contact the School Bookkeeper with any questions regarding MSF.
Please Note: If you have already purchased a spirit shirt(s), those will start coming home with students this week! Virtual students that have ordered can pick their shirt(s) up in the school office.
It’s not too late to make a direct donation! You can do this by going to MySchoolFees (MSF).
Fax # - 205-439-2201 Email address - email@example.com
Help spread facts
The impact of the new coronavirus disease, COVID-19, is being felt all over the world. With lots of information being rolled out, it’s important to receive and share accurate information, so that you can take the necessary steps to keep yourself and those around you safe.
We believe we are better when we work together. That’s why we have designed a range of social media posts and poster templates to help our community share accurate information from the World Health Organization.
#stopthespread with these handy tips.
Follow these tips from the World Health Organization to keep yourself safe and help contain the spread of the virus.
1. Wash your hands with soap and water for 20 seconds.
2. Avoid touching your face, eyes, mouth, and nose.
3. Avoid contact with people who are vulnerable. And if you can’t, wear a mask.
4. Cover your cough with the bend of your elbow.
5. Disinfect surfaces you regularly use.
6. If you feel unwell, stay at home and call your healthcare provider.
7. Only share information from trusted sources.