October 2020: Parent Newsletter
We are excited to welcome our final phase of students who chose in-person instruction for the 1st nine week grading period, this coming Monday, Oct. 5th.
Detailed information about the return process, including safety guidelines and protocols can be found below. Please take a moment to read or watch the information your family needs. A copy of back to school procedures was also sent to your child's individual NISD email account. There is an infographic included for a shortened version of the information provided.
Below you will also find information on: AM/PM and lunch procedures, student training videos, Schoology parent account set-up, Counselor updates and events, News from the Library, PTA Reflections contest and Athletic updates.
As a reminder: The window for parents to select their child's learning location (Virtual or In-person) for the second nine week period ended at midnight on September 30th. This 1st grading cycle ends on Friday, Oct. 16, and the 2nd nine weeks begins Monday, Oct. 19th.
Stay well and stay positive Patriots,
Return to School Reminders
As an added safety precaution:
1. As of now, visitors are by appointment and on a limited and as-needed basis.
2. No food deliveries of any kind.
3. Anyone entering the building will wear a face mask and undergo the district provided health screener.
4. All in-person students will need the following everyday:
- Water bottle (all Patriots receive a water bottle on their first day back)
- Technology Device
- Hand Sanitizer
- Face Mask
QUICK GUIDE to the return process
(All students will need to pick up NEW Yellow Schedules in the Cafeteria, Monday, October 5, 2020.)
- School Doors Open at 7:55 AM (NOTE: In order to practice safe social distancing, students should not arrive on campus before the doors open at 7:55)
- Parent drop-off: Bike riders or Walkers may enter through the front of the school.
- Parent drop-off: Students exiting or entering vehicles in the left lane should use the driver side doors, those entering/exiting vehicles in the right lane should use passenger side doors. Please use the crosswalk.
- Breakfast is served until 8:30 AM (USDA- Free for all NISD students until Dec. 31, 2020)
- Students arriving to school prior to 8:00 AM will report to the cafeteria.
- Students arriving after 8:00 AM can either go to the cafeteria to eat breakfast or go directly to their 1st period class.
- Bus riders will be dropped off in the bus loop and enter through the cafeteria doors.
Health Screener Quick Tips
- Campus procedures for dismissal include staggering the groups of walkers, car riders, and bus riders to help manage student movement in the building and decrease the risk of potential crowding outside.
- Staggered release of students will be made by intercom announcement.
- Bus riders will be released as their bus arrives, non-bus riders released by announcement at the closing bell. (Sibling connections will be made outside of the building.)
All students need to be picked up after school by 4:20 PM, unless they are attending athletics, fine arts practice, a club or academic coaching.
- Students being picked up by a parent need to exit the front of the building and wait for their ride in the front of the school.
- Both lanes in front of the school should be through lanes and vehicles should briefly stop for their child to enter the vehicle, please do not park in these lanes.
- If parked in the parking lot, watch for pedestrians, students/families will be walking through.
- All pedestrians must cross at the designated cross walk in front of the school, no walking between cars will be permitted.
- Students exiting or entering vehicles in the left lane should use the driver side doors, those entering/exiting vehicles in the right lane should use passenger side doors.
AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM AVAILABLE SOON
See below for more information regarding Club LT
What will lunch look like?
- In the cafeteria, students will wear a face covering when waiting in line for food, and will practice social distancing. Before picking up food, they will use hand sanitizer. Chairs will be spaced at least 6 feet apart.
- Students may remove their mask while eating but will put their mask back on before leaving the table
- Social distancing of 6 feet will be maintained in the cafeteria
- Food deliveries are not permitted at this time
- Lunch will be a “grab and go” process.
- To view the lunch menu: https://schools.mealviewer.com/district/NorthsideIndependentSchoolDistrict,TX
Free Breakfast and Lunch Program
Starting Sep. 14, 2020, the United States Dept. of Agriculture (USDA) approved Free Breakfast and Lunch to enrolled Northside ISD students whether they are in-person or virtual learners.The USDA Free Meal Program ends Dec. 31, 2020.
After December 31, 2020:
Your child(ren) may qualify for free meals or for reduced price meals through the Northside ISD Child Nutrition Free and Reduced Price School Meals Program.
Households interested in this benefit must apply for the program every school year.
Meal benefits from last school year will expire on October 5, 2020 if there is not a current 2020-2021 meal application on file at the Free and Reduced Office.
PARENTS: Do you need a Schoology Parent Account?
Here is a video, link to a tutorial that can be translated, and a PDF step-by-step of how to create a Schoology Parent Account.
Here is the video link in English: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LNULROHfrw
Here is the link for parents to view it with other languages: http://ior.ad/7eBB
In this link, parents would need to click the following icon to change languages. (See picture)
DON'T COOK DINNER JOIN US INSTEAD :) THURSDAY OCT. 22 - 4-8 PM / PTA FUNDRAISER
Hello Patriot Parents!
As the new teacher-librarian at Rawlinson, I am excited to help our Rawlinson students become critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skilled researchers, and ethical users of information.
Even though school is very different for all of us this year, the library’s resources are still available to students through their Library Schoology Course and through partnered lessons with classroom teachers.
If you have a library book from last year, these can be returned at any time during the school day to the drop box at the front of the school. We appreciate your help in returning these book and putting them back in circulation!
Whether your student is attending school in person or schooling at home, they have the ability to check out books from our library. Students can access ebooks from the Library Catalog or through Sora, Northside’s online library. Written and Video directions for finding books through these sites can be found in your student’s Schoology Library Course and on the Rawlinson Library Page.
Curbside Book Checkouts
Beginning on October 5th, students can also check out physical copies of books from the library. These books can then be picked up curbside in the front loop. Find the Instructions below and on your students Library Schoology Course! Books can be picked up on Wednesdays and Thursdays between 11am-12pm or 4-5pm. NOTE: ALL BOOKS WILL BE QUARANTINED BETWEEN USE TO PREVENT THE SPREAD OF COVID.
Thank you Patriot Parents, and happy reading!
Corey L. Weber
PTA Reflections Contest
This year’s Reflection program theme is I Matter Because. Tell your story through dance, a short film, a poem or story, an original song, a photo or visual work of art. Please submit your completed entry form (attached) and original submission to the front office by Friday, November 13th.
Each entry must be the original work of the participating student. To enter the contest, at least one member of the student's primary household must be a current member of the Rawlinson PTA (www.joinpta.org).
RAWLINSON MIDDLE SCHOOL IS A VOTING SITE
Rawlinson is assigned as a voting center by the Bexar County Elections Department for the Tuesday, November 3, 2020 Joint General, Special, Charter and Bond Election.
The voting hours are from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
RMS Teachers are Prepared for anything!
Ms. Pena always models safety by wearing her PPE and was caught taking all necessary precautions during a fire drill.
DANCE CLASS w/Mrs. Jones
Mr. Perez Visits Rawlinson
Executive Director, Mr. Barry Perez visited Rawlinson to show support and to witness Virtual Learning and In-person instruction. Fun Fact: Mr. Barry Perez was once the Vice Principal at Rawlinson Middle School!
RMS Teachers are Prepared for anything!
Mr. Rawlinson Visits Rawinson!
We love when our namesake Mr. Ed Rawlinson, former Northside Superintendent stops in for a visit!
Mr. Rawlinson visits Mrs. Blocker's Class
Art Students have started a NEW Mural!!
Can't wait for everyone to see this beautiful mural that our very own Art students have created.