March 25, 2016
Fair Is Not Always Equal
I was first introduced to this concept in Curwin and Mendler's book, Discipline with Dignity. I read the book and heard them speak many moons ago.
The doctoring analogy is an easy one to understand and use with children. It speaks not only to behaviors and consequences but to instruction and differentiation.
I would encourage you to print this infographic and put it up in your classroom so it can be used as a jumping off point for conversations with students and parents.
1:1 Roll Out Plan:
After a recommendation and presentation from Supt. Dr. Allen Bourff and Asst. Supt. Dr. Jan Combs along with comments from numerous parents, the HSE School Board voted unanimously to approve a revised version of the 1:1 Rollout plan for K-4.
The recommendation addressed concerns of screen time, cost, student responsibility and teacher readiness in the following ways:
- Rental cost of iPads move from $125 to $90.
- Devices to be used for production, not consumption. Usage prohibited at recess, lunch and on bus.
- K-2 parents will be given the option of the device going home.
- HSE Schools will establish three Advisory Councils: K-4, 5-8, 9-12.
- Parents will receive notice any time a new App is added to the device.
- Parents reassured that devices will not replace teaching socialization skills and reading actual books or writing.
- Professional development will be appropriately offered to support.
During collab this week we began working on a possible Scope & Sequence for technology use and research/production use K-4. We will continue to work at this, tweak, and discuss.
I appreciate all the thinking, questions, and support you all have given to thinking about how we will integrate the tool of iPads into our classroom practice. There was a lot of feedback given at the Board Meeting on Wednesday. It will be incredibly important that we "get this right" in the August roll-out for K-4. Our work continues.
For Your Calendar
- Tuesday, April 12 4:30-7:00 - Elementary Learning Fair
- Tuesday, April 12 7:00 PTO Open Forum - CRES Fest Update, Exec. Board voting, etc.
- Thursday, April 14 5:00-7:00 PM - Kindergarten Round-up/Open House
- Friday, April 15 3:40-5:30 - Fun Friday sponsored by our Fourth Grade
- Friday, April 22 CRES Fest
Monday, March 28 Day 3
- 3:10 Collab Team 4 - Watch List/SOC's and Creating a Computer/Research Scope and Sequence
Tuesday, March 29 Day 4
- 1:05 STL - KW - Hale - Lisa's office
- 3:10 Collab Team K
Wednesday, March 30 Day 1
- 8:30 Elem. Principals' meeting
- 2:00 Office meeting
- 2:45 Staff/Student Basketball Game - Finae is organizing this
- 4:05 Discussion
Thursday, March 31 Day 2
- Jeans Day - Let's bring out the A Team to make this day a good one
Friday, April 1
- No School - Enjoy your break
Monday, April 11 Day 3
- 3:10 Collab Team 3 - SIP PD - Problem Solving
Tuesday, April 12 Day 4
- 8:00/4:00 Tech Tuesday
- 8:15 STL - MH - Snyder
- 9:30 Admin Meeting at FJH - Lisa gone
- 3:10 Collab Team 2 - SIP PD - Problem Solving
- 7:00 PTO Open Forum Meeting in the Art Room
Wednesday, April 13, Day 1
- Fire Drill today
- 2:00 Office meeting
- 3:10 Collab Team 4 - SIP PD - Problem Solving
Thursday, April 14, Day 2
- 7:35 CIT
- 3:10 Collab Team K - SIP PD - Problem Solving
- 5:00-7:00 Kindergarten Round-Up/Open House
Friday, April 15, Day 3
- Mix Match Day - Wear your most mismatched outfit
- 8:00 STL - TM - Cook
- 1:00 RtI meeting
- 3:10 Collab Team 1 - SIP PD - Problem Solving
- 3:40-5:30 Fun Friday sponsored by Fourth Grade