Fear as a Motivator
Megan Allen, Ashlyn Singer, Joy Kim
Fear- A distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc.
(the threat can be real or imagined)
Fear is the body's first recognition of danger, and is used as a warning mechanism to get to a safer situation. Fear is often derived from things we don't know, but it can be caused by knowing too much. There are different stages of fear, ranging from being a little frightened, or completely in survival mode. Fear is what motivates us to keep living. Without fear, there wouldn't be a need for life, because we wouldn't fear death or pain.
Example of motivation by fear
"'Then people started getting frightened.'
A murmur, almost a moan, rose and passed away. Jack had stopped whittling. Ralph went on, abruptly.
'But that's littluns' talk. We'll get that straight. So the last part, the bit we can all talk about, is kind of deciding on the fear.'
The hair was creeping into his eyes again.
' We've got to talk about this fear and decide there's nothing in it. I'm frightened myself, sometimes; only that's nonsense! Like bogies. Then, when we've decided, we can start again and be careful about things like the fire.' (Golding 62)"
1. How has fear been used as a motivator in other pieces of literature that we have read previously this year?
2. How is fear used as a motivator in our schools/ world today?
3. Which character/ characters are more impacted by the motivation of fear throughout the novel?
4. When can fear cause you to do good things? When can it cause you to do bad things?
5. Is it better to overcome your fear or surrender to it, in order to make progress?