KMS Band

2013-2014 Beginner Tubas

Now what?

Now that you know that your student will be learning tuba in the fall, you can begin taking the steps outlined in this flier. The tuba is a school-owned instrument. This means that you will rent the instrument from Crownover for the school year. The instrument rental fee is $100 for the entire school year. You will pay this fee at the start of the school year when these instruments are checked out. For now, you just need to obtain all of the necessary supplies listed below.

It is also important to be aware that beginner tuba students will actually play on euphoniums at the start of the year. This will allow the students to "grow into" the tuba, as the euphonium is in many ways a baby tuba. Euphonium mouthpieces will be provided for students during this initial stage; however, it will be important that tuba students obtain their tuba supplies prior to the start of the school year. Once each student has demonstrated a certain degree of proficiency on euphonium, he or she will then be moved to tuba.

1) Visit one of the music stores listed at the bottom, and purchase the required instrument supplies:

  • Helleberg mouthpiece
  • Al Cass valve oil, slide grease
  • Chromatic tuner/metronome
  • Essential Elements 2000 books 1 for Tuba (Yellow Border)
  • Essential Elements 2000 books 2 for Tuba (Red Border)

2) Visit any school supplies store and obtain the following classroom materials:

  • 1.5 – 2 inch three ring binder with pockets for use in band class only
  • 10 or more sheet protectors
  • Pencils

3) Visit a store like Target or Wal Mart and obtain the following:

  • Large black towel for the instrument to rest on the student's lap
  • (optional for tubas) Rolling luggage cart to make transporting the euphonium case less cumbersome. (examples)