Eaton Family Newsletter
August 11th, 2023
Dear Eaton Families,
Thank you to all of our parents/guardians who attended our PTA General Assembly Meeting and Curriculum Night on Tuesday. It was a great turnout. We appreciate your time and support of our teachers.
We kindly ask that our families follow all traffic laws and show kindness to others during drop off and pick up times. Parents enter our campus from three directions. We are fortunate that we have a traffic light to assist with traffic. Although NC law does allow us to turn right on red, we ask that you are mindful of those who are turning left on a green arrow or coming across at the green light on Netherlands Dr. Traffic onto campus is at it's peak at 7:30am.There is very little to no back-up at 7:10am. Please pull all the way up to the mailbox when unloading children, and be mindful to not leave large gaps in our car line.
August 23rd is a Designated Teacher Workday. There is no school for students.
School Picture Day is August 31st. The make-up date is October 26th.
Our 1st through 5th grades will begin welcoming volunteers in our building on August 14th. Kindergarten teachers will contact families about beginning volunteer dates.
All volunteers must complete these steps each school year:
- Review Volunteer Orientation Presentation
Read the Volunteer Handbook
Complete the Volunteer Assessment with 80% or Higher (You may retake the assessment if needed)
Email Mrs. Allen, firstname.lastname@example.org, so she can verify completion and add you to our volunteer list
Level 2 volunteers must complete the steps above, and complete a Background Check application. Background checks are good for three years from the date they are cleared.
Room Parents must be Level 2 volunteers. Any parent who wishes to attend a field trip during the school year must be a Level 2 volunteer. Please plan ahead, as it can take up to two weeks for background checks to process.
Again this year, all parents/guardians of NHCS students in grades 1-5 will be required to complete the beginning-of-year paperwork using the Scribbles online system. The online system allows parents/guardians the ability to complete this process from their laptop, cell phone, or desktop computer. If the parent/guardian has moved, please update the address on the beginning-of-year paperwork and upload the new proof of residence. Students attending Eaton will need to select their zone/district school in order to complete the application, it will then be transferred to Eaton for processing. The beginning of year paperwork will close October 1st, 2023.
Click HERE for step-by-step instructions.
Save the Date for Fall Festival
Please save the date for our Fall Festival, October 20th. Our PTA will need lots of volunteers to help make Fall Festival a fun and successful event for our students and families. A sign-up sheet will be shared closer to the event. Volunteer shifts are for 30 minute blocks of time. Thank you for your help!
NHCS Coffee, Curriculum, Collaboration, and Conversation Event
We are thrilled to partner with parents in our community to inform them about the excellent core curriculum resources that we provide in New Hanover County Schools along with our new implementation Xello. Xello is a software that supports students in career choices and parents with monitoring their child's graduation progress. Additionally, our event will feature representation from our special education curriculum specialists, child nutrition, transportation, CTE, technology, and school safety who will be available to assist parents and answer questions they may have. Families can benefit from Spanish translation services at all three sessions.
AUGUST 16, 2023
8:00-10 am Roland Grise Middle School
12:30-2:30 pm Ogden Elementary School
5:30-7:30 pm Murray Middle School
The school with the highest percentage of participation will win a free lunch for their AMAZING teachers!
Ice Cream Volunteers
Ice cream is offered in our cafeteria on Thursdays. If you are a Level 2 volunteer, and are interested in assisting with ice cream on Thursdays, please sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0F4BACA823A5FD0-2324
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Morning drop-off and afternoon pick up is located in the front of the school at the Gordon Road light. Please follow the flow of traffic, which lines up in front of the school and circles through the gravel lot.
- The bell will ring at 7:10am. Once staff members are in place to safely monitor students, students will be invited to begin exiting cars
- We encourage our students to arrive to school at 7:10am.Teachers have instructional activities for students when they arrive.
- Please make sure that students have their backpacks on and are ready to exit vehicles
- We ask that parents pull all the way up to our mailbox to unload
- After you unload you may pull out to the left to exit the parking lot
- Students may purchase breakfast in the cafeteria. Our amazing cafeteria staff members look forward to welcoming our students to school each morning
- We kindly ask that you do not leave large gaps in between vehicles during our drop off and pick up lines
- The tardy bell rings at 7:40am. Students must be in their classrooms by this time to be considered on time. If students are not in their classroom when the tardy bell rings, they will need a tardy slip from the front office to enter their classroom.
- Students who arrive at 7:40 are considered tardy and must have an adult accompany them into the building to check in.
- All families are given two signs with their last name and assigned number. Please have your sign displayed on the right side of your front window/dashboard.
- Leave the sign visible until after your children have entered the car.
- Only vehicles that have your sign will be allowed to pick up your child or children without going to the office to show identification. Please be mindful that if you give someone your sign, you are giving them permission to pick up your child.
- If you need sign replacements please contact Ms. Harrison at the front desk.
- Please remember to remain in your car when you are picking up your student in the afternoon. If your student needs support opening the door we are happy to help.
- Please do not leave large gaps in our pick up line
- We encourage parents to teach students to learn to buckle their safety belts. However, if your child is not yet able to do this, please pull up past the mailbox and/or park in a spot to assist your child. This helps to keep our carpool line moving smoothly.
- We do not allow parents to park at the side of the building and walk up with a sign to pick up children. You must use the pick up line. The only exception will be for families who walk from their home to pick up children and/or circumstances approved by administration.
Thank you for your help to ensure safety during our arrival and dismissal times.
All transportation changes (different than how your child normally goes home) must be submitted in writing.
If you need to pick up your child early from school, you must do so by 1:45pm. Please know that you will need your drivers license to sign your child out of school.
Student Support Updates
- 910-397-1544 ext. 71712 (Eaton)
- 910-790-2236 ext. 71309 (Codington)
Please see the attendance documents below.
News from Nurse Rogers
I'm so happy to be here to help keep our Eaton kids safe and healthy! My office hours are Monday- Friday 7:15AM- 3:45PM. My phone number is 910-397-1544 option 1. Email: email@example.com. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns about your child's health, safety, and well-being while here at school.
If your child has food allergies, asthma, or any other health condition please make me aware so I can be sure to support them while they are here.
We can keep medications here at school for your child, with the proper documentation, if necessary. There is a list of approved over the counter medications you can check in for your child. Additionally, there is a physician authorization form for all other medications that needs to be filled out by a healthcare provider to allow your child to have that medication here in the nurse's office. Any and all medication needs to be brought into the nurse's office by a parent/guardian and signed in with the appropriate paperwork.
All medication documents are linked here on my website:
Updates from Transportation
2023-2024 De-Assignment Procedures:
In an effort to reduce late arrivals and departures to and from schools, students who do not meet ridership eligibility will be permanently de-assigned from Transportation. Students will have an opportunity to be reassigned in the Spring and the 24/25 School Year. Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis when students inform Transportation of temporary situations such as illness, sports and club participation. Transportation eligibility includes:
- students riding at least 3 times a week
- parents following Pre K, K-2, and special education "meet at the stop" rules
- students following safety protocols
NHCS Child Nutrition Information
Eaton's Lunch Menu:
8/14 Turkey Ham & Cheese Sub (Hot or Cold), PB&J, Mixed Veggies, Spiced Apples
8/15 Pork Queso Nachos, Pizza Bites, Chicken Wrap, Southwest Black Beans, Corn Salad
8/16 Chicken Sandwich, Cheesy Bites, Chef Salad w/ Chicken, French Fries, Green Beans
8/17 Waffles w/ Chicken, PB&J, Green Peas, Mashed Potatoes
8/18 Burgers (Veggie Burger option), Hot Dog, Yogurt & Cheese, Fries
NHCS Child Nutrition Website (including menus)
MySchoolApps (apply for free/reduced lunch)
MySchoolBucks (lunch prepay)
All volunteers, both Levels 1 and 2, must complete volunteer training each school year.
All field trip chaperones must become a Level II volunteer, which requires a background check through NHCS. Background checks are good for three years. You can log into your account to check your expiration date, or contact Mrs. Allen. The NHCS background check system is linked below. Level 2 volunteers must also complete the orientation and assessment each year.
All volunteers must be at least 18 years old.
Parents, family, or community members volunteering to assist students in a supervised setting are not required to undergo a background check if they are continually supervised by school personnel during the school day.
Parents, family, or community members volunteering to assist students in an unsupervised setting away from school personnel are deemed Level II Volunteers. We also ask that all chaperones become Level II volunteers, as well as those interested in assisting in our media center and cafeteria at Eaton Elementary. An applicant designated a Level II Volunteer must complete the online application and the criminal background check. Applications must be completed at least two weeks prior to the time you wish to begin volunteering. The cost of background checks are $22.50.
Steps to Take to Become A Volunteer:
Review Volunteer Orientation Presentation
Read the Volunteer Handbook
Complete the Volunteer Assessment with 80% or Higher (You may retake the assessment if needed)
Level 2 Volunteers must also complete a Background Check application and pay $22.50
Email Mrs. Allen to let her know you completed the steps to become a volunteer
Eaton Volunteer Coordinator: Mrs. Allen, Assistant Principal
Updates from the PTA
- August 30 — PTA Spirit Night at Pizza Hut Pizza Hut in Ogden
- September 11-15 — Book Fair
- September 12 — Fall BINGO Night
- October 20th- Fall Festival
Please consider joining the PTA:
Eaton's PTA Website:
Please see the August PTA Newsletter, attached below.
Important Upcoming Dates
2023- 2024 Year-Round Calendar
August 17th Interim Reports
August 23rd Teacher Workday
August 31st Picture Day
October 20th Fall Festival
October 26th Make Up Picture Day
Our School's Why:
To promote academic excellence through inclusion, modeling, collaboration and challenging students to think in innovative ways.
We are creating a nurturing school community that prepares the whole child to be a problem solver, critical thinker, and empathetic global citizen.
Empowerment, Perseverance, Respect, Integrity, Academic Excellence