Reducing Fat, Sugar and Sodium
5 Tips for Reducing Fat in the Diet
- Select poultry, fish, dried beans, and peas and the lean meat for protein.
- Use eggs, live. and shellfish in moderation.
- Limit butter, cream, hyrogenated margine, shortenting and foods made with these products.
- Season vegtables with herbs, spoces, and lemon instead of butter.
- Use low fat and skim mil products instead of whole milk.
- Substitute plain low fat yogurt or nuttermilk for sour cream or mayo.
5 tips for reducing sugar in the diet
- Serve fresh fruits and vegtebales as snacks rather than candy or cookies.
- Drink fruit juices or unsweet tea intead of soft drinks.
- Add fruit to unflavored yogurt rather than flavored yogurt.
- Use spices for flavor instead of sugar.
- Read labels to determine sugar content.
5 tips for reducing sodium in the diet
- Substitute herbs and spices for salt when preparing foods.
- Taste food before adding more salt.
- Use lemon juice or balsamic vinegar instead of salt on vegetables and fish.
- Eat fewer salty snack items such as pretzels and chips.
- Read labels and compare foods at the store and buy those without salt.