- Transmission of data is fairly simple as it only travels in one direction
- No data collisions
- Extra computers can be added easily with little effect on performance - although you have to shut down the network to be able to do this.
- If a single machine is switched off, the network doesn't work
- If a cable breaks, the network doesn't work
- Data must pass through every computer until it reaches its destination. This can make it slower than other network layouts.
- If there are any problems with the network, they can be difficult to identify the cause.
How it works
In a ring network layout, all of the computers are connected to one another in a circle. The data passes from one computer to the next one and then all the way around the ring layout until it reaches the destination computer.