Parkland Weekly Update
Laura Kowalski Wins the Klopp Award for Exemplary Teaching
Parkland High School Biology teacher, Laura Kowalski, is the recipient of the 2013 Howard L. Klopp Award. The education department at Cedar Crest College presents this annual award to recognize excellence in teaching.
Ms. Kowalski has taught at Parkland High School since 2006. Faculty members from Cedar Crest’s education department presented the award to Ms. Kowalski at the high school on Tuesday, Nov. 19. The qualities that meet the selection criteria for the Exemplary Teacher Award include: a devotion to quality in education; the ability to focus on each student's strengths; a commitment to helping students achieve their full potential; concern for the students that extends beyond the classroom; outstanding service to school and community, and dedication to helping colleagues and advancing the profession.
Laura is pictured below and is holding her award. From right to left above is Principal Mr. Moniz, Mrs. Kowalski, Nancy King, Education Department Chair and Assistant Professor at Cedar Crest, Assistant Principal Mrs. Stavenski-Bennick, Joan Kern, Director of Field Experience and Student Teaching at Cedar Crest and Deborah Hartman, Instructor at Cedar Crest.
- The United Way TeenWorks board of directors has voted the Orefield Middle School Builder’s Club Senior Citizen Prom as the Project of the Year. They will be recognized on January 18th at the Northampton Memorial Community Center at a special banquet.
- Schnecksville Elementary students and PTO embarked on a community service project that culminated with a wrapping party of more than 75 Holiday Hope Chests that were created for Lehigh Valley Families in need this holiday.
- The community is invited to nominate Parkland Alumni to be inducted onto the Distinguished Wall of Honor at Parkland High School. Click here for more information.
- The 2014 Parkland School District Education Foundation Community Discount Card is here! Click here for an order form or stop in the Administration Center to purchase yours today.
- Registration for new students entering Parkland High School next fall will be held on Monday, February 24, 2014 and Tuesday, February 25, 2014. A snow make-up date is scheduled for Thursday, February 27, 2014. This after school registration is designated for those students currently residing in the Parkland School District but not attending Parkland schools. Appointments can be made by calling Mrs. Kris Chenworth, Registrar at #610-351-5610 or emailing email@example.com.
- The Orefield Middle School Builders Club, a community service organization, is sponsoring a district-wide Coats for Kids Drive. Donations of gently used coats, hats, scarves, gloves, fleece, snow pants, etc. may be dropped off in the collection boxes in the main office vestibule at O.M.S. from now until December 6th. Donations will benefit needy families right here in the Lehigh Valley.
- The Parkland High School Dance Team cordially invites all students kindergarten through grade 8 to attend the 2014 JUNIOR DANCE CLINIC on Saturday, January 18, 2014 from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. in the PHS auxiliary gym. The cost is $35.00 and includes three hours of dance instruction, healthy snack and each girl will receive an official PHS DANCE TEAM shirt to be worn for the half-time performance on Tuesday, January 21, 2014. Register here.
- December 3, Orefield Middle School Band Winter Concert at PHS 7:00 PM.
- December 4, Springhouse Middle School Chorus Winter Concert at PHS Auditorium 7:00 PM.
- December 4, Parkland: A Season for Giving 2013 CD Launch Party, Parkland High School Auditorium Lobby, 7 AM. Listen to the CD, interact with the students who produced the CD, and view live performances of some of the album’s tracks. Proceeds benefit Autism Speaks. Students in the class produced a unique arrangement of a familiar holiday song or created an original song for the CD during music production class. For sound clips, track listing and to order the CD online (see bottom left of web page), click here: http://www.reverbnation.com/parklandaseasonforgiving2013.
- December 4, Ironton Elementary D.A.R.E. Graduation, 9:30 AM in the cafeteria.
Students who have completed their sessions with local police about Drug Abuse Resistance Education (D.A.R.E.) will participate in a special graduation ceremony.
- December 5, Wellementary Session #2 Let’s Get Physical – Healthy Cooking demonstration and family Zumba fun, 6:30 PM. Elementary families are invited to register to participate in a fun, interactive, health-focused program at Springhouse Middle School. Families can sign up to participate in the program by pre-registering here. Program flyer: http://www.parklandsd.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Program-Flyer-December.pdf
- December 5, Orefield Middle School Chorus Winter Concert at PHS Auditorium 7:00 PM.
- December 6, Middle School Orchestra Winter Concert at PHS 7:00 PM.
- December 8, Parkland Cheerleading Booster Club Breakfast with Santa, PHS Cafeteria, Two Seatings: 9 and 11 AM. Tickets are $8 per person and include an unlimited pancake breakfast with one round of sausage, juice, milk, coffee, tea, hot chocolate and a photo opportunity with Santa. New this year is a themed basket raffle. Reservations are due by December 5. Send checks payable to PCBC to: Tina Dean, 2211 Holly Dr., Coplay, PA 18037 and include your name, phone, number attending and preferred seating time. Call 610-261-2254 with questions.
- December 9, Springhouse Middle School Band Winter Concert at PHS 7:00 PM.
- December 9, Ironton’s 5th grade Band/Strings/Chorus Winter Concert at 7:00 PM.
- December 10, Cetronia and Fogelsville 5th grade Band/Strings/Chorus Winter Concert at 7:00 PM at respective schools.
- December 11, Jazz Band Winter Concert at Springhouse 7:00 PM.
- December 11, Kratzer 5th grade Band/Strings/Chorus Winter Concert at 7:00 PM.
- December 12, Parkland High School Orchestra/11th & 12th Grade Chorus/Chorale Winter Concert 7:00 PM. Senior Citizen dinner precedes event in PHS cafeteria at 5:30 PM.
- December 13, Schecksville 5th grade Band/Strings/Chorus Winter Concert at 7:00 PM.
- December 14 and 21, Parkland High School Performing Arts Club Children’s “Shrek” Theatre Workshop 9:00 AM & 12:30 PM.
- December 15, PHS Chorale Winter Concert at Neff’s United Church of Christ, 7 PM.
- December 18, Parkland High School Band/9th & 10th Grade Chorus Winter Concert 7:00 PM. Senior Citizen dinner precedes event in PHS cafeteria at 5:30 PM.