FAC Weekly Update
August 28, 2020
Good afternoon, Fine Arts Center Family!
Week one is in the books! While it may have felt a little different (or a lot different) than past starts of the school year, we are moving forward together on the path. Thank you to our FAC Families for working with us throughout this transition. Thank you to the Faculty and Staff for providing a healthy educational environment for our students, and thank you to the Custodians for their tireless work on keeping the building safe and clean!
Here is the latest from the halls of the Fine Arts Center...
This Week's Student Leadership Lesson
"Ask yourself, Am I Really Teachable?
All the good advice in the world won't help if you don't have a teachable spirit. To know whether you are really open to new ideas and new ways of doing things, answer the following questions:
- Am I open to other people's ideas?
- Do I listen more than I talk?
- Am I open to changing my opinion based on new information?
- Do I readily admit when I am wrong?
- Do I observe before acting on a situation?
- Do I ask questions?
- Am I willing to ask a question that will expose my ignorance?
- Am I open to doing things the way I haven't done before?
- Am I willing to ask for directions?
- Do I act defensive when criticized, or do I listen openly for the truth?
If you answered no to one or more of these questions, then you have room to grow in the area of teachability. Remember the words of John Wooden: 'Everything we know we learned from someone else!'
Soften your attitude, learn humility, and remain teachable today.
From "The Maxwell Daily Reader," page 258 (August 24).
Observations from Week One
Students did a fantastic job in adhering to the new safety and health protocols! Thank you for going over the protocols with your child and sending them to school with an appropriate mask. All students were also supplied with two masks from GCS that they can choose to use or keep in their backpack as a backup in case they forget their mask at home.
AREAS FOR IMPROVEMENT
Our main issue was with students not knowing the appropriate time to come to school and not being aware of certain changes due to social distancing guidelines. The below information was covered in the Orientation Presentation video and slide show. Please review these items before next Monday so that we are all on the same page:
Building Hours - Attendance Plans 1 and 2
8:00 a.m. Classes
Building access at 7:45 a.m.
9:15 a.m. Classes
Building access at 8:30 a.m.
1:30 p.m. Classes
Building access at 1:15 p.m.
- Should these restrictions result in a hardship to your family relative to the parent’s ability to get to work on time, please call our Main Office. Before doing so, we respectfully request that you attempt to work out a resolution with your workplace. If no compromise can be found, we can accept a very limited number of students before the above building access times.
- If you have not done so, please read the emails and letters that I sent home. Many students who arrived at the wrong time, either in the morning or afternoon, had received my emails but had not read them. Students are sent the emails and therefore should get in the habit of staying informed.
- Students who attend the FAC in the afternoon and go to Wade Hampton in the morning need to stay at Wade Hampton until 1:15 p.m. Dr. Grant has space for these students to sit, socially distanced, and work on homework. We do not have such a space at the FAC.
- Studio Time is not available to students while we are under social distancing restrictions.
As always, please call or email with any questions!
Schedule for Week Two
Week of August 31, 2020
- Monday - "Blue Group," Last Names A-D; all other students are eLearning
- Tuesday. "Red Group," Last Names E-K; all other students are eLearning
- Wednesday, "Green Group," Last Names L-Q; all other students are eLearning
- Thursday, "Purple Group," Last Names R-Z; all other students are eLearning
- Friday - all students eLearning
STEPS TO RETURN TO SCHOOL IF EXPOSED to/SYMPTOMATIC With COVID
Week of September 7 - Change to Attendance Plan #2
- Monday, September 7 - No School, Labor Day
- Tuesday, September 8 - Red and Purple Groups (Tuesday/Thursday, E-K and R-Z)
- Wednesday, September 9 - Blue and Green Groups (Monday/Wednesday, A-D and L-Q)
- Thursday, September 10 - Red and Purple Groups (Tuesday/Thursday, E-K and R-Z)
- Friday, September 11 - All Students eLearning
Fine Arts Center - Greenville County Schools
Preparing dedicated students for 21st-century careers through rigorous, pre-professional arts training in a dynamic, inclusive, collaborative learning community.