#TPND Thunder Pride Never Dies
Petru's Fun Fact
Hello Thundercat families,
One more week of school. That is unbelievable to me. At the end of every school year, I know many of us to reflect on the moments it brought. For me, I started my journey as principal of Ronald Thornton Middle School on June 3rd, 2020. My first anniversary falls on our last day of school with the students. It is also my birthday. That is a lot of significance. Many things have occurred over this last year for all of us.
One of the things I have done is spent the year learning about the students, families, and faculty that make up Thundercat Country. I have walked the halls hundreds of times and I feel PRIDE in every step. I am proud of the determination and grit that make up our community of Thundercats. The 2020 school year was not an easy one. It was difficult for our families, our teachers, staff, and our community. It brought fear, uncertainly, change, and it also certainly brought grace.
Now, as we end the year, we can feel life-shifting back to a “more normal” existence. We can look back and know that we did it! I am thankful every single day for our school, community, and students at Ronald Thornton Middle School. I look forward to the bright 2021-2022 school year.
Go Thundercats! #TPND
Ronald Thornton Middle School
Summer School News
Students that signed up and paid for Summer Olab classes must attend a face to face orientation. Please use the link below to schedule your orientation time:
Please review the available slots below and click on the button to sign up. Thank you!
Yearbooks will be distributed on May 25 and 26 during all lunches to students who pre-ordered them online. Books for virtual students will be available at the front office starting on May 27.
If there are extra books available for purchase, they will be sold first-come, first-served at a later date.
Congratulations 8th Graders !
TO LOG INTO 8TH GRADE AWARDS A YOUTUBE LINK WILL BE SENT VIA BLACKBOARD & EMAIL
THE AWARDS PROGRAM WILL GO LIVE ON TUESDAY @ 6:30 PM
THANK YOU RTMS PTO FOR SPONSORING OUR LUNCH & 8th GRADE SHIRTS FREE OF CHARGE
SAVE THE DATE
What's Up for Summer: Summer Learning Resources
Parents: If you have medication in school clinic, please come between 5/24/21 to 6/2/21 during school hour (8:20am – 4:20pm) to pick up your medication. Medications that are not picked up by end of 6/2/21 will all be discarded.
If your child goes to 7th grade in next semester year, your child needs two more vaccines in order to be compliant with Texas law. You can email the record to Chengfang.email@example.com or drop it at the school clinic. Please be mindful that students who are not compliance with immunizations required by Texas laws must be excluded from school unless exemption (signed in accordance with the provisions of the law) is provided.
Tdap – 1 dose
Meningococcal – 1 dose
Thanks for your cooperation in the care of your child.
May is National Mental Health Month !!!
Mental Health Month raises awareness of trauma and impacts the physical, emotional, and mental well-being of children, families, and communities. Mental Health Month was established in 1949 to increase awareness of the importance of mental health and wellness and to celebrate recovery from mental illness. Would you recognize the symptoms of mental health struggles in yourself or a friend? And if you did recognize them, would you feel comfortable speaking up about it?
Mental health is essential for a person's overall health and wellness. Prevention works, treatment is effective, and people can recover from mental disorders and live full and productive lives! However, the most important thing that we want you to remember is that you are not alone! Here at RTMS, we want the entire Thundercat family to know that we are here to support you in every way. Also, students, please check Naviance every Monday for weekly information concerning mental health awareness. You can access your Naviance account via 1Link.
Starting Friday, April 23rd, there are vaccination opportunities for teens (16 years and older) every Friday evening and Saturday until the end of the school year. The “Vaccine for Teen” events are being held at Katy Mills Mall and HCC Missouri City. See the attached flyers for more information and to sign up for an appointment.
RTMS Athletics: Get Your Physical
Attention ALL FUTURE THUNDERCAT ATHLETES for the upcoming 2021-22 School year.
- Get a physical completed by a doctor. Turn the original in to Coach Alexander or Coach Dobbins ASAP or by July 1st 2021.
- Fill out Online Rank One Forms found. (Place a 0 in front of your ID number)
RTMS STUDENT ABSENCES DUE TO COVID OR QUARANTINE
RTMS Parent Information
Possible Quarantine Scenarios:
1. Student is exposed or tests positive, parent contacts school nurse and completes wellness survey. Student goes into quarantine. Student immediately goes on “on-line Classroom Guest” status.
2. Student assessed by school nurse/clinic, has symptoms consistent with COVID and is sent home. The student has three days to obtain a doctor’s note with a diagnosis.
a. Obtains a written diagnosis from the doctor:
· Positive for COVID – contact tracing occurs and the student does not return to school.
· Negative for COVID – student returns to school after three days.
b. Student does not go to the doctor for a medical diagnosis:
· Student will be quarantined for 10-14 days.
· Student will become a “Classroom Guest” at day four.
Work Flow Steps for COVID:
1. If the student will be out for more than three days, the student will become a “Classroom Guest.” To maintain Schoology systems, the student will receive links to an online teacher while out. However, they will continue to do the work of their F2F teacher.
2. AP will follow-up to ensure the student received links as a “Classroom Guest.”
3. Counselor will notify teachers when the student is expected back on campus to resume regular F2F instruction.
**Classroom Guest – term for new online learners who transitioned to online learning from F2F due to quarantine or medical reason.