Dog Sled History
See the evolution of dog sleds!
Types of Dog Sleds
Two main sleds are Basket sleds, and Toboggan sleds
- Basket sleds compose of mostly wood
- Because of their lightweight composure, they are one of the fastest and most popular sleds
- Toboggan sleds are made mostly of lightweight plastics
- they have a low center of gravity
- because of their low center of gravity, they are popular for carrying heavy loads
Other Branches of Dogsledding
- A mix between dogsledding and cross-country skiing
- A single rider is pulled behind a dog... On skis!
- Skijoring doesn't need a specific breed of dog
- As long as your dog wants to pull, you have yourself a fine team!
- It is one of the fastest growing sports in the U.S.
- Many parks don't allow skijoring
Carney, Steve. "The Ultimate Ski Lift." Dog Fancy. Oct. 2000: 24+. SIRS Discoverer. Web. 05 Apr. 2016.
"Dogsled.com." Dogsled. WordPress & Atahualpa, 2015. Web. 04 Mar. 2015.