Youth Get Involved
Girl Scouts: The Beginning of A Movement
Source #2: Girl Scouts Engage in the Fight Against Mental Illness Stigma with Mental Awareness Patch (Article)
2. Position: Girl scouts added the Mental Health Awareness Patch to the list achievements that can be awarded to the scouts. They want to eliminate the stigma associated with mental illness.
- From: Mental Health Weekly Digest
- Author: News Reporter-Staff News Editor
- "Developed by International Bipolar Foundation (IBPF), whose mission includes erasing the stigma of mental illness through public education..." (paragraph 2)
- people are becoming more interested in information related to awareness
- 1 in 4 people in the United States are diagnosed with a mental illness
The younger generation becoming more active about mental illness is a huge step into spreading more awareness, since the youth represents the future of society. Ever since the Girl Scouts introduced this new patch, the interest in learning about mental illness increased, especially because so many people are affected. Educational programs about mental illness kill two birds with one stone-1) supplying the thirst for knowledge for those who do not know much about the topic, and 2) spreading awareness throughout the world.