The Silent Killer
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is a molecule that is made up of one carbon atom and one oxygen atom (CO). CO forms during the combustion process. Usually the combustion results in the formation of CO2, however, when there aren't enough oxygen atoms, the carbon atom bonds with only one oxygen atom forming CO. Production of carbon monoxide gas is very common with fires where there isn't enough oxygen around, fumes from cars and trucks, gasoline engines, stoves, lanterns, gas ranges, and heating systems.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
CO most of the time is created as a poisonous gas that is both colorless and odorless. For these reasons, it is often called 'The Silent Killer', and this is also why you should beware and take precautions against carbon monoxide poisoning. Some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide include: headaches, nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, and loss of consciousness.
Few Simple Steps on How to Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Make sure that your house is properly ventilated.
- Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances checked by a qualified technician every year.
- Have a mechanic check the exhaust system of your car every year.
- Never leave your car running in the garage with the garage door shut.
- Install CO detectors.