How You Can Help Prevent Suicide
Catch The Warning Signs Before It's Too Late
The Warning Signs
These warning signs are just a very small amount of the things to watch for. If someone exhibits several of these examples, take action right away and get them professional help.Verbal Warnings:
- "I wish I were dead."
- "My Family would be better off without me."
- "I just can't go on any longer."
- "Nobody needs me."
- "I'm going to kill myself."
- Insomnia or excessive sleeping
- A sudden, unexplained recovery from a severe depression
- Isolation- either real or perceived
- Feeling out of control-test failure, caught shoplifting etc.
- A previous suicide attempt
Where Can Help Be Found?
A few examples of people or places that can help:
- School Guidance Counselor or Psychiatrist
- Suicide Hotlines
- Rehab centers (Ex. Sierra Tucson Depression Rehab Center)
- A responsible adult (in the beginning stages or smaller scale to start)
- National Foundation for Suicide Prevention website
Suicide is Preventable
Suicide is Preventable Because....
- In almost all cases the person is just asking for help.
- The person that is struggling just needs to be shown that people care for them.
- The person might be feeling lost, so you must show them that there are different ways to make life better.
- Show them their options like rehab centers etc.
- If they are feeling like there is nothing left to live for, show them that life has so much to offer. Suicide is not the answer.