The Importance of Ergonomics
Beware the Repetitive Strain Injury
But first, some ambience :)
Clair de Lune by Michael Ottosson
Stages of the Injury
This state lasts for weeks and isn't chronic- in fact, the symptoms lessen when the affected area is put at rest.
2) Moderate RSI
If left untreated at the first stage, longer periods of pain (for several months) will occur, as muscle and joint stiffness, swelling, redness, and warmth spreads over the affected area. In this stage, the pain persists at night, potentially disturbing sleep.
3) Severe RSI
This is when RSI becomes irreversible- there is constant pain, and you may experience fatigue even when well-rested.
- sit with your back straight and elbows at a right angle (arm rests are recommended).
- make sure your forearms are horizontal while using the keyboard or mouse
- adjust your monitor so that it is directly in front of you to avoid straining your eyes or neck
Also, you can try out these exercises for wrists and hands- not only do they prevent RSI, they feel quite soothing!
- Take regular breaks at work to stretch and move around.
- Exercise. Some people claim that incorporating physical activity into their routine eases their symptoms.
- use cold packs, elastic supports or a splint to help the affected area.
- Physical therapies such as yoga, acupuncture, and a massage can help to relax your muscles.
(However, if the pain persists, the best option is to go see your doctor.)
Posturevideos. "RSI - Hand and Wrist Exercise For The Office." YouTube. YouTube, 17 July 2015. Web. 04 May 2016. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYj83R8bsYs>.
"Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) - Treatment ." Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI). 27 Jan. 2016. Web. 04 May 2016. <http://www.nhs.uk/CONDITIONS/REPETITIVE-STRAIN-INJURY/Pages/Treatment.aspx>.
"Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI) ." Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI). 7 Aug. 2015. Web. 04 May 2016. <http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Repetitive-strain-injury/Pages/Introduction.aspx>.
"Repetitive Strain Injury. Symptoms of Repetitive Strain Injury | Patient." Patient. 5 Dec. 2014. Web. 04 May 2016. <http://patient.info/health/repetitive-strain-injury-leaflet>.
"Symptoms of Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI)." News-Medical.net. 2012. Web. 04 May 2016. <http://www.news-medical.net/health/Symptoms-of-repetitive-strain-injury-(RSI).aspx>.