School Community Newsletter 12/16/2019 - 1/5/20
Dear Parents and Guardians,
This past week was an exciting one for our Thomas family! We crowned a TMS Spelling Bee Champion, our 8th-grade Girls' Basketball team headed to State, BGHS-bound 8th graders heard a presentation on what to expect in their freshman year, and our Boys Basketball, Poms and Wrestling teams competed in events. And, holiday cheer was in full swing Friday night at the SHOWDOWN! Our Adopt-A-Family donations were incredibly generous, and with special thanks to our friends at KONA Ice, we surpassed our fundraising goals! The Student Council is thrilled to host a wrapping party Monday after school to support many of our Arlington Heights families. Special thanks to the TMS staff, especially Riley Wharton and Carol Golemo, for there leadership and dedication. We also wish to thank the TMS families who served as elves this weekend and picked up all the gifts with the generous funds raised this week!
This coming week will be filled with more excitement and anticipation of the break to come. We know the holiday festivities can also make this time of year more challenging for some. Please know that we are here to help and encourage you to reach out.
With the upcoming snow and ice, please plan to give yourself extra time as you head to Thomas. Please drive carefully and be patient as you drop off or pick up your child from school. Also, be mindful of students crossing streets and parkways.
- 8th Grade High School World Language Placement Letters
- Illinois Parent 5Essential Survey
- WINTER BREAK - NO SCHOOL: 12/23/19 - 1/3/20
Best wishes for a wonderful holiday season and a restful winter break!
Lori, Greg, & Nick
Congratulations Elite Eight 2019-2020 Girls Basketball Team!
2020 ILLINOIS 5Essentials PARENT SURVEY
High School World Language Placement Letters
If your child is currently enrolled in a world language class at TMS this year, a high school world language placement letter was given to your child last week. Please ask your child for this information.
TMS World Language Department
THE TEENAGE BRAIN (Thank you to the Delta Team for sharing this!)
Well, trying to figure out what is going on inside of a teenager’s mind seems near impossible. This can lead to many a trouble when trying to parent and teach them. If you’d like to learn a little more information about the topic, there are many online articles, but this one from Harvard Magazine is a good place to start!
SAVE THE DATES...
- Japan Exchange Informational Meeting - Monday, January 13th, 2020 at 6:00 pm in the TMS Commons - Hosting dates: May 14th - May 18th, 2020 - Traveling to Japan dates: June 15th - June 25th, 2020
- TAFT 7th Grade Parent & Student Information Night - Thursday, January 30th, 2020 at 7 pm in the TMS Large Gym
Absence Reporting & Requesting Homework
ONLINE REPORTING via TMS Homepage:
Click the ONLINE ABSENCE REPORTING BUTTON located on the TMS homepage and complete the details on your child's absence.
PHONE CALL TO REPORT AN ABSENCE:
1) Call the Thomas School phone number at 847-398-4260.
2) The auto-attendant will prompt you with these options:
- Press 1 to report an absence
- Press 2 to contact the school nurse
- Press 0 to remain on the line for the office.
3) Press 1 and report your child's absence.
ABC/25 t-shirt and poster design contest
Click here for the official rules and entry form. All entries are due by December 18, 2019. We can't wait to see your creative designs! Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for the most recent race updates.
Our Local Community Partners...
Link Together Coalition Meetings
All General Meetings 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm
- January 29th – General Meeting at District 21 Gill Administration Building
- February 26th – General Meeting at MacArthur Middle School
- April 29th – General Meeting at River Trails Middle School
Omni Youth Services - Looking for support? Omni's mission is to partner with parents and the community to provide support services to children.
Local High School Happenings...
BUFFALO GROVE High School
Elective Night & Activity Night: January 6th
HERSEY High School
Elective Night: December 19, 2019
Activity Night: April 7, 2020
Residency: April 7, 2020
SAINT VIATOR High School
Class of 2024 Parent Meeting: February 6, 2020
Class of 2024 Registration: February 20, 22, & 25 2020
Math Placement Test: March 31 & April 8, 2020
*For the most accurate and up to date information, please visit the high school websites or call the high school directly.