May 27th - May 31st
Friday, May 24th
- Last day to order Edukits/school supplies
Monday, May 27th
- No School, Memorial Day
Wednesday, May 29th
- 2nd Grade field trip to Adler Planetarium
Thursday, May 30th
- Harper Student Council Fun Fair, 3:15pm North Field
- Reminder to bring your paper towels and toilet paper to the Fun Fair for the last Community Service drive of the year
Tuesday, June 4th
- June/July Birthday lunch
Wednesday, June 5th
- 4th Grade Farewell lunch
Thursday, June 6th
- Field Day! (tug-o-war at 2:30)
- Nora Night! 6:00pm
Thursday, June 13th
- Last Day of School for Kindergarten students
Friday, June 14th
- Last Day of School, 11:55am dismissal
- 4th Grade Farewell Party, 3p-5p
*2019-2020 SAVE THE DATE*
Sunday, September 22nd
- Harper Hoedown (Raindate: Sunday, September 29th)
Assistant Principal Ryan's News to Note
The beets and green beans are planted! Our students have been busy at work in the garden during recess and it looks great! Before the end of the year we should see some results from their hard work and green thumbs.
At this week's Board of Education meeting, our district preschoolers were part of a big surprise for Dr. Lechner to celebrate his retirement. D39's preschool will now be the Lechner Early Education Program. This is a really special honor since it was Dr. Lechner who started and nurtured this inclusive preschool program years ago.
Student Council is excited to present: Fun Fair 2019!
Who: All Harper Families and Friends are welcome (Adult supervision is required)
When: Thursday, May 30, 2019 from 3:15-4:15pm (no rain date)
Where: Harper North Field
**Students can pre-order their ticket by bringing in $5 to their classroom teacher now through Wednesday, May 29. If tickets are not pre-purchased, students will have to purchase a ticket at the Fun Fair Entrance. Students can only purchase a ticket for themselves with their classroom teacher. Any siblings will need to purchase a ticket at the Fun Fair. See attachment-
Parent Forum: New Student Services Department Leader
Tuesday, May 28th, 6:30pm
620 Locust Road
It is now official that Dr. Romy DeCristofaro will be joining Evanston/Skokie District 65 July 1st. We would like your input as we search for the next leader of our Student Services Department. This important position oversees all D39 student and special education services, including the early childhood program.
Please join us at a Parent Forum:
Date: Tuesday, May 28th
Time: 6:30 PM
Place: Wilmette Junior High auditorium - 620 Locust Road, Wilmette
Dr. Kick Outdoor Education Scholarship Fund
- A Farewell Retirement Tribute – “The Dr. Kick Outdoor Education Scholarship Fund” – This PTO scholarship fund has been created as a retirement tribute to Dr Kick and her love of the Outdoor Ed Trips. The scholarship fund will offer financial assistance towards the Outdoor Ed tuition for Harper families for this year and future OE Trips. A portion of the proceeds from this years Movie Night (Peter Rabbit) will go directly to Dr Kick’s OE Scholarship fund. An online donation form is provided for any families wishing to donate. Please go to the PTO Website for more information and to donate directly to this wonderful tribute and cause. www.harperpto.com
Dr. Kick Retirement Ice Cream Celebration!
- Please join us for an ice cream social celebration for Dr. Kick on Tuesday, June 4th in the Harper Garden/playground area from 3:20 - 4:30.
- Dr Kick’s retirement note basket: A collection basket is located in the front lobby for dropping off any farewell notes, pictures, gifts or retirement messages to Dr. Kick. These messages will be presented to Dr Kick on June 4th at the Ice Cream social.
LAST CHANCE: SCHOOL KIT ORDERING DEADLINE IS TODAY! Today is your last chance to order a school kit for the 2019/2020 school year. Don't miss out, order your supplies by visiting www.edukitinc.com and typing in Harper to begin your order. Once your order is complete, you will receive a confirmation email and your student’s kit will be waiting for them in their classroom on the first day of school. To order for another District 39 school, simply go to www.edukitinc.com and enter the school name to find the supplies for that school. A portion of the sales from each school kit will be donated to the Harper PTO. Questions? Contact Erica Lockwood at email@example.com
- 2nd Grade Enrichment: Alder Planetarium Field Trip. On May 29th, the 2nd grade class will be going on a field trip to the Adler Planetarium in Chicago. The buses will depart Harper about 9:15am and will return at about 2:45pm. All children will need to bring a sack lunch.
- Thanks for your contributions to iGNITE!
A message from the PTO Treasurer
- Attention all PTO committee members - Please submit any outstanding expenses for the school year ASAP. You will need a signed expense voucher and a receipt. Place all completed expense vouchers in the Treasurer Folder in the front lobby. If you have any questions, contact Annie O'Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Harper Happenings First Edition 2019-2020
- Do you have an announcement for the first edition of the Harper Happenings for the 2019-2020 school year? If so, please submit a communication request by August 19th.
- Order Before They're Only A Memory!
- Harper Elementary School has ordered a limited number of extra yearbooks for late purchases. Act fast as these will go quickly! Click here to order. Not sure if you've ordered already? Go to www.jostensyearbooks.com and select "My Orders" or call Jostens at 877-767-5217
Destination Imagination (DI)
- Are you curious about DI? Come to an informational presentation to find out what Destination Imagination (DI) is all about!
- DI is a team-based creative problem solving program for kids grades K-12. This year, 13 Harper teams competed in the DI tournament here in Wilmette.
- There are several identical, 1-hr info presentations to choose from:
- 5/30, 7pm -Wilmette Junior High Learning Commons
- 6/4, 7pm -McKenzie
- 6/7, 9am - Central
- 6/11, 3:45 - 4:45 - Harper
- RSVP: HERE
- Join Cub Scouts Pack 8! Come and learn more at our Pack's Info Night (for parents only).
- All Boys Entering Grades K-5, you and your family are invited to join the fun and excitement of Scouting in Pack 8. The Pack 8 Cub Scout program is modified to work with your family’s busy schedule. Scouts offer educational activities designed to assist parents in building character, developing good citizenship and strengthening physical fitness in youth. It is fun with a purpose!
- The Harper Hoedown Is In Need of a Graphic Designer!
- Planning has begun for the 2019 Harper Hoedown and the Committee is seeking the talents of a graphic designer to create new designs for the event! If you or someone you know is interested in helping with the updating of signage and flyers please contact Noela Scarano at 678-525-6357 or email@example.com .
Highcrest Room Parents
- Have a 4th grader moving to Highcrest next year? Then here's your chance to sign up to be a room parent in advance! By signing up with the below link, you'll get first dibs to sign up to be room parent for your student's class. Being a room parent at Highcrest is a great way to get to know parents and students from the other D39 schools and is less of a time commitment than in elementary school. Check it out and sign up HERE.
Pass 39 May Newsletter
- Please open the word document below for the latest newsletter for May.
- Spring clean your home May 28th-June 1st! Donate old home furnishings to a good cause and avoid your belongings adding to our enormous landfills. Habitat for Humanity of Lake County will PICK UP FOR FREE acceptable furniture, lawn tools, appliances, lamps, rugs, etc. The list is long and will help others to reuse what some of us may no longer need to furnish their homes. Please see the flyer for all registration details!
Community Service Corner & News
- We are gearing up for our final community service drive of the school year! We will be collecting rolls of paper towels and toilet paper to help stock the shelves at Connections for the Homeless. We will do this in conjunction with the Harper Fun Fair on Thursday, May 30! Please plan to bring 1-2 rolls wrapped paper towels or a 4-pack of wrapped toilet paper to the fun fair or during the week leading up to it. Bins will be available outside of classrooms.
- During the Fun Fair, students, led by student council reps, will be constructing a building-wide tower of toilet paper and paper towels so the students can see their donations!
- If you are able to help us out and drive some of the donated items after the Fun Fair to the Connections office in North Evanston please let Laura know at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thank you in advance for your support of this drive and for your support of our drives throughout the year!
- 2019-2020 Connecting Kids Preschool Openings
- Housed within Romona School is the Connecting Kids Preschool Program. The half-day sessions for three, four and five year-old children are specifically designed to prepare children for District 39 kindergarten classrooms. With structured play, planned pre-academic instruction, differentiated learning, and vocabulary development, Connecting Kids provides an excellent foundation for all children. Reserve a spot for your child in next fall's three, four or five year-old classes.
- Registration is still open and spots are still available! Registration forms can be found online here.
The Wilmette Police Department & The Wilmette Public Library host a forum on Opioid Use in the Community tonight at 6:00 pm at the Wilmette Public Library.
The Center for the Gifted offers summer programs for Pre-K through 12 grades.
Winnetka Youth Organization hosts Junior Game Night for 7th - 12th graders on Friday, May 24th 6:00-9:00 pm.
Wilmette Baseball Association has opened Summer League Registration for students in Kindergarten - 3 grades.
Wilmette Historical Museum hosts Summer Scavenger Hunt June 17 - August 4th.
Oakton Community College hosts summer STEAM camps and classes for students ages 8-12. Registration is now open.
Love to sing? Youth Choral Theatre of Chicago offers a free vocal training class with flyer. Vocal classes available for children ages 4-18.
The Center Fitness Club schedule and various park district classes for children are posted.
Wilmette Food Pantry is open every Tuesday 10:30-11:30 am at Trinity United Methodist Church.
All announcements to be included in the Harper Happenings should be sent to Liz Hayes via the Communication Request Form by Mondays at 9 am. If you do not receive an email response within 24hrs, please send an email to email@example.com to confirm your Communication Request Form was received.
For more school information, visit the Harper PTO website.
For additional D39 community events, visit wilmette39.org