Lane Intermediate Community Message
October 6, 2017 Patriot Pride @LaneWAWM
Parent Teacher Conferences
- Please join us Tuesday, October 10th or Thursday, October 19th from 4:30-8:00 pm for Parent/Teacher Conferences. Please feel free to come to either date that is convenient for your schedule. No appointments will be scheduled. All conferences will last no longer than 7-10 minutes to respect the time of all students and parents waiting.
6th and Specialists grade will be in the Main Gym
7th and 8th grade will be in the Auxiliary Gym
- Lane Global will be in the Lane Lab
October is Kindness Month at Lane Intermediate!!!
There will be other KINDNESS events and activities throughout the month that will be announced!
Parent Sessions - GOOGLE DRIVE
Mrs. Smith, our technology integrator, will run technology sessions during Parent / Teacher conferences. The sessions will run at the top of the hour - 5:00 pm, 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm.
She will demonstrate how students can get logged in from home without an iPad. We will also access important school sites, like ALEKS, Google Classroom and more. We will go over the basic Google Apps for Education that students should be using to complete work as well.
Happenings at Lane!
October 10 -- Parent Teacher Conferences 4:30pm-8:00pm
October 10 -- Progress Report Distribution
October 12 -- Picture Retake Day
October 17 -- PTA Meeting in the Cafe 6:00pm
October 17 -- 2018 Washington DC Parent Meeting 7:00pm
October 19 -- Parent Teacher Conferences 4:30pm-8:00pm
October 20 -- PTA Glow Dance
October 27 -- NO SCHOOL
Attendance Matters - Get to Class = Comedy Sportz October 26th
Part of Lane Intermediate and the district's improvement processes is to improve overall attendance to 94% - making it to class on time helps us all reach this goal!
Lane Intermediate - School Resource Officer (SRO)
Lane's SRO is starting the week of October 2nd - any questions please contact Lane Administration.
Student Services News Welcome to the 2017-2018 School Year
As a Student Services team, we are excited to work with your children and look forward to their personal and academic growth this year. We will celebrate right along with you!
We also know that intermediate age children are challenged with many issues including those surrounding friendships, conflict resolution, self-care, dealing with strong emotions, stress, and more. If your child is struggling with issues that may impact his/her school performance, we encourage him/her to make an appointment with their school counselor to discuss and problem solve. Sometimes working through the issues with a child individually will help. Other times involving and collaborating with the student along with teachers and parents/guardians can help tremendously.
If your child wants to make an appointment with their counselor, he/she is asked to sign up using the scholar request app found on their iPad. Students are seen as soon as possible, but sometimes it may not be until the next day. If a student has an urgent request he/she may ask their teacher to check if the counselor is available or check with the main office secretaries for our availability. Parents are more than welcome and encouraged to call us at any time. Together we are all stronger.
School counseling is not therapy but instead an opportunity for your child to discuss issues that are affecting his/her ability to perform the tasks that school requires. We want to reassure you that we are committed to helping your child be the best he/she can be every day. We are also committed to keeping your child and the other children in our building safe. Therefore, if a child discusses being harmed in any capacity or if a child expresses he/she wants to harm another, we are required by law to seek help and contact parents/guardians, Child Protective Services, or law enforcement as appropriate.
Throughout the school year, our goal is to keep parents/guardians informed of Student Services happenings. Within the next few weeks we will be delivering classroom lessons to all 6th, 7th, and 8th graders on safe social media usage including the consequences of sexting.
We will also be leading lunch groups with students within the next month on topics such as Controlling My Emotions; Just for Guys: How to be a Champion; Just for Girls: Positive Friendships and Relationships; What do I do with all My Stress; and Dealing with Loss in my Life. If you do not want your child participating in any groups or counseling, please let us know. Look for more information on these and other topics in following communications.
Thank you for sharing your children with us. We are honored to be working with them!
Christine Piotrowski Kyle Malin
School Counselor School Counselor
6th Grade 7th Grade
8th grade (A-L) 8th grade (M-Z)
(414)-329-6600 ext. 6614 414-329-6600 ext. 7438
Clubs and Sports at Lane Intermediate
Times and dates for the following will be shared through the community message as well as by the staff leading the opportunities.
- Cross Country - Season in Progress
- Boy's Basketball - Please see Mr. Dooley for tryout information
- Chess/Game Club - will be once a week on Monday's or Wednesday's depending on what works best for the group, from 3-4:15 P.M. The main focus will be around Chess and developing a team that will be able to compete at the District Chess Tournament in the Spring. Each session will involve a component of learning the fundamentals of Chess. Those that want to come and play board games will also be encouraged to try my extensive collection of modern board games, the old classics, or any they see fit to bring in. Please see Mr. Malin with any questions.
- Saturday Open Gyms
- Student Advisory
- School of Rock - The Lane's School of Rock Club will meeting on Tuesdays from 3:00 to 4:30. Lane's School of Rock Club brings the garage rock experience to school. Activities include playing songs as a band, songwriting, Using IPad apps and other technology to create music, and setting up and running audio equipment for live performance and recording. All skill levels are welcome and no experience is required. Lane's School of Rock Club is a great place for students to express themselves, and have fun together in a relaxed atmosphere. No experience or equipment is required to participate.
The first School of Rock meeting will be next Tuesday, September 26th from 3:00 TO 4:30. Participating students should meet after school on the first floor by the elevator. If you have further questions please see Mr. Stolpe or Mr. Simons for details.
- Tech Club - Tuesdays 3:00-4:00 (Started Sept. 19)
- Hallway Beautification Club
- Yearbook Club
- Math Club/Mathlete - In Progress...please see Mr. Kloiber
- Media Club - Thursdays 3:00-4:00 (Started Sept. 21)
- Others to be announced.....
Inappropriate Bus Conduct Consequences
In the event that a student’s behavior jeopardizes the safety of others or there is bullying or defiance of the bus driver’s instructions, students may be suspended or (depending on the severity or frequency of the behavior) permanently removed from bus transportation.
Student will be warned and parent/guardian(s) will be notified.
Student will be removed from the bus for a period of 1 week (5 school days).
Student will be removed from the bus for a period of 2 weeks (10 school days).
Student will be removed from the bus for a period of 1 month.
Student will be removed from the bus for the remainder of the semester and/or as deemed appropriate by school administration and First Student.
Student will be removed from the bus for the remainder of the school year.