Poway High School Enrollment
Enrollment - 2021-22 School Year
Enrollment for the 2021-22 School Year
Please complete the digital enrollment packet online. Once we have accepted your pacekt, we will contact you with further instructions. When you complete the packet, you are given the option to turn in documents at a later time, but this may delay your enrollment until the documents are received.
Log in and complete the digital enrollment packet online at the ParentVUE portal:
If you do not have access to a scanner, there are multiple free phone apps that transform photos into PDF documents, including:
Getting Transcripts from a Previous School
We need a transcript AT ENROLLMENT, so that we know what classes to place your student in. You are responsible for getting the transcript for any of your student's previous high school work. The records request form you fill out in the enrollment packet is for the entire cumulative file, which will not be requested until your student has already been with us for a couple of weeks.
If you are having trouble getting a transcript from your student's previous school, the following tips should help.
- A visit IN PERSON usually yields more results than one over the phone or by email. If that's possible, start there.
- When you call your student's previous school, call the main line and ask to speak to the person who handles records.
- Tell the school that you need a copy of your child's "Unofficial Transcript." It doesn't need to be in a sealed envelope, or have an official seal. Copies are fine, as long as they are legible.
- They can fax the transcript directly to us (Our fax number is 858-748-1132), email it directly to us (Email: email@example.com), or give it to you to bring to us.
- Let them know that we need it immediately because we have to be able to place your student in the proper courses - The grades for current classes may not yet be available. It is okay if the transcript has blanks for work in progress. We can update later with official grades when they become available.
- If your student hasn't fully withdrawn or hasn't returned books or paid fines to the original school, please do that, so the school doesn't put a hold your student's transcript.
- Many schools charge to have transcripts sent to places like employers or colleges. They SHOULD NOT CHARGE for a transcript that is being sent to a new high school. If the website or voicemail for the records person only gives a paid option, be persistent and ask to speak to a person.
Accepted forms of Residency Verification:
- Deed to Home
- Mortgage Payment Receipts or Coupons
- Escrow Papers for New Home
- Property Tax Receipt
- Current Bill from Local Utility Company, including Cable TV
- Driver's License
- Military Orders (Base Housing Office Written Verification)
- Rental Agreement
- Rent Receipt
- Bank Statement
- Any other Legal Document(s) which establish home address within school boundaries
If a second party is providing residence verification, they are required to provide their two (2) proofs of residence in person, with a valid form of identification.
If you are unable to provide residency because you qualify for the McKinney Vento Act or are a foster youth, we may be able to help with enrollment via our Youth in Transition program. Please email details of your situation to firstname.lastname@example.org
Inter/Intra-District Transfers (IDTs)
If you live outside the Poway Unified School District boundary and want to attend Poway High, you will need to apply for an Inter-District Transfer. IDT applications are now closed for the 2020-21 school year.
Once an IDT has been approved, you will need to complete the four enrollment steps above. For more information and for the applications, visit the PUSD Transfers Page - UNLESS you are a student at a PUSD middle school transitioning to PHS, then you just need to send a copy of your approval email and two proofs of residence to email@example.com
For returning students and students from our feeder schools, the CRF process happens in February/March for the following school year.
Did You Know?
Enrollment and registration are not the same thing. Every student must enroll once before starting in the district. Registration happens every year to update information. For students coming from feeder schools (who live in the PHS boundary), enrollment is transferred automatically. For all other students, an enrollment packet will be needed.
Did You Know?
We are a public school, so we offer FAPE (free appropriate public education). What that means: you can enroll a student who lives in our boundaries at any time during the school year. What that doesn't guarantee: that your student will be able to keep or earn credits for their semester/trimester/quarter from another school.
Poway High School is on a Trimester/3-by-5 system. Students can take 5 classes per day, 3 trimesters a year. What that means: You can finish a full "year" of a subject in 2 Trimesters. This is generally great for students and gives them more opportunities for advancement or remediation.
However, if you are transferring to us from a semester or quarter school mid-year, it can be complicated and confusing.
Our Trimesters are divided as such:
Tri 1: August 18 - Late November
Tri 2: Late November - Mid March
Tri 3: Mid March - June 2
There are a couple of ways you can minimize the impact of losing credits to a mid-year transfer.
- If your student is close to finishing a semester/quarter at their previous school, find out if they can finish and earn their credits BEFORE withdrawing.
- If you have to leave before your student's credits are earned, ask the previous school to give you Leaving Grades with the percentage earned, as well as a full high school transcript (It does not have to be official and we need to see the transcript to ensure we enroll students in the correct courses. Schools frequently say we will request records for you, but the records don't get requested until after the student starts school here.). This step is very important.
- Check our website to see if the courses your student is currently enrolled in are available at our school. Direct transfers have a better chance of earning credit.
This process is especially tricky at the winter break because students who transfer from a school that ended their semester in January, will arrive to us in the middle of a trimester. It is not uncommon for students to spend the rest of the trimester auditing a class instead of earning credits because we are too far into the trimester to add a new class.
For freshmen and sophomores, a mid-year transfer is easily overcome with our trimester system, because they can make up classes they might lose. For juniors, losing classes can be more problematic. For senior students who are short on credits, a mid-year transfer can mean the difference between graduating and not. We try to help students get the credits they have earned, but if we see a possible obstacle to graduation, we will let you know.
Note: To earn credits for courses, a student needs to be sitting in classes by the 10th day of the trimester.
A - Em: Christy Brown
En - Lea: Jerrah Smith
Leb - Ra: Blanca Arreguin
Rb - Z: Jerilyn Padua-Reyes
Intervention/CTE: Karly Wardwell
Counseling Assistant: Jodie Hughes
Career and Guidance Technician: Jaime Brown
Registrar: Michelle Bourget
Scheduler: Barbara Longworth
Support groups, Individual support, Alcohol/Nicotine/Other Drug Education
A-F: Gannon Burks
G-M: Monique Kanouse
N-Z: Aaron Little