Meet and Greet Tomorrow!
& Other Important Back to School Information
Meet and Greet
All K-2 schools have their Meet & Greet scheduled for Friday, July 29th from 1:00-3:00. This is a brief opportunity for parents, students and teachers to meet one another and for students to familiarize themselves with the school and the classroom.
In order to be efficient and keep things running smoothly, Kindergarten families may arrive between 1:00 and 2:00, while 1st and 2nd graders may arrive between 2:00 and 3:00. The amazing GL PTA will be stationed in the media center - please pay them a visit!
Kindergarten Meet Up
On Sunday, July 31st, the GL PTA will host all kindergarten parents and students to meet and connect on the playground from 4:30 PM - 5:30 PM.
Class assignments were made available on July 26th via the Parent Portal. Class placement is a high priority for our staff and we are very intentional about this process each year. Class changes will only be made under extreme circumstances.
First Day of School
We will welcome students for our first day of school on Tuesday, August 2nd. Our school hours are 8:20-2:50. Students may be dropped off in the mornings at 8:00 am. Breakfast will be offered between 8-8:20 each morning. Dismissal begins at 2:50. The GL PTA will host parents for coffee in the front of the school (weather permitting) immediately after drop-off.
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Kindergarten students that walk to school should enter through our front entrance. Parents can give them a huge hug and your well-wishes right outside the door, and we will escort them into the school to their teachers. Kindergarten students arriving by car will enter the building through our side doors near the auditorium at the carpool circle. There they will be united with a staff member who will escort them to the auditorium to meet their teacher before being walked to class.
For more information on a day in the life of a Glennwood kindergartener, please watch this video.
Arrival and Dismissal
Providing safe arrival and dismissal routines are a high priority for our staff. Please carefully read over the following procedures.
Annual Data Update in Infinite Campus - IMPORTANT
All families must complete the annual data update before the first day of school. Directions on how to complete the annual update will be sent from CSD in the next week. If you run into any issues completing the annual data update, please contact Michelle Reynolds at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at 404-370-4435.
It is essential for parents or guardians to complete the Annual Data Update by the start of school. Go to https://www.csdecatur.net/adu to get started. The ADU is how you:
Make sure we have your current contact information
Provide your student's health information
Complete mandatory district sign-offs
Please review the K-12 District Handbook and the Code of Conduct and Restorative Practices Handbook before completing the update. Help drive OUR SCHOOL to be the first to reach 100%! Families new to CSD who enrolled on or after July 14 do NOT need to complete the ADU; new families who registered before July 14 do need to complete it because the ADU has updated handbooks and sign-offs. Go to https://www.csdecatur.net/adu to get started!
For parents new to CSD, you will need to set up an account in the Parent Portal which is in our information system, Infinite Campus. Please click here to learn more about how to set up an account. Please reach out to Patrice Moore, District Registrar Enrollment Specialist, with any questions.
Welcome Back from Nurse Beth
Welcome to the 2022-23 school year! My name is Beth Barrington, and I am the Glennwood school nurse. I look forward to getting to know our new students and families and welcoming back our returning students. Please review these back-to-school health reminders and reach out to me anytime with questions. The easiest way to contact me is through my email at email@example.com. For urgent communication, please contact the main school number. Additional health information is located on the CSD website under the Health and Safety
- All students are required to have an updated immunization record on file or a notarized GA form 2208(Affidavit of Religious Objection to Immunization) in order to start and remain in school.
- Please complete the Annual Data Update in the Infinite Campus Portal as soon as possible, including the health information portion. You should also receive a CSD Health Card in your child’s folder at the beginning of the year. If your child has a health condition that may require treatment at school, please be sure to include that information in the Annual Update and on the CSD Health Card. You can also reach out to me directly through email or by phone to provide additional information regarding your child’s health care needs at school.
- All medications require an updated Medication Authorization form each school year. I am unable to administer medications without this form completed in its entirety. Please note that prescription medications require the prescribing provider’s signature. All prescription medications must be in the original pharmacy packaging with the pharmacy label attached. Over-the-counter medications must be sealed in the original packaging. Please label these with your child’s name. I am unable to administer any medications provided without these parameters.
- Medical Care Plans(asthma, diabetes, allergy, seizures) for your child must also be updated prior to each school year. For the safety of your child and to ensure the most accurate, up to date health information, we are unable to accept a medical care plan from the previous school year.
- PLEASE have a current and working phone number of a parent or guardian in Infinite Campus in the event your child needs your urgent attention.
The CSD COVID-19 Mitigations Plan for the 2022-23 school year may be found here. Our current community levels of COVID-19 are in the high category, and masking indoors is recommended for all staff and students. If you plan on having your student mask indoors at school, please pack additional masks (4-5) in their backpack. We do have a supply of disposable student masks should your child need a replacement.
As always, regarding COVID-19 and other communicable illnesses, please monitor your child for symptoms of illness, and keep them home from school when they are sick, even if they test negative for COVID-19. Staying home when sick can lower the risk of spreading infectious diseases. If you have questions as to whether your child is well enough for school, please feel free to reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Helpful Glennwood Contacts
- If you need help with general school or registration questions, Michelle Reynolds is our Office Clerk - email@example.com or call 404-370-4435 ext. 0.
- For medical-related questions, Beth Barrington is our School Nurse at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 404-370-4435 ext. 1.
- If you need help with curriculum or academic questions, contact our Instructional Coach, Ms. Jill Tolsma at email@example.com.
- If you need help with a counseling request, contact our School Counselor, Mr. Jonathan Blase at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you need help with administrative requests, contact our Assistant Principal, Summer Clayton at email@example.com.
- For instructional technology or library questions and help with the Glennwood website, contact our Library Media Specialist, Dee Anna Rittenhouse at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We Need Your Help!
We are sorting out school supplies on August 1st at 10:00am. Our goal is to have all these items sorted and delivered to the classrooms before school starts, but we need your help! You can sign up HERE! You are welcome to bring your child (children) to help. We will meet in the cafeteria.
Questions? Please reach out Communications Chair, Nydia Almond at email@example.com
Cheers and Tears
Cheers and Tears is a long-standing Glennwood tradition on the first day of school. The event takes place after morning drop-off on Tuesday, August 2nd at 8:00am – 9:00am. Please join us to toast (or cry) with other Glennwood parents, as we commemorate the first day of this unusual school year. We will have coffee, so come and join us!!
The Glennwood Elementary School Leadership Team (SLT) is an elected committee consisting of Glennwood parents/guardians, staff members, a community member, and a district representative. The purpose of the SLT is to make decisions that support the continuous improvement of the school in accordance with the provisions of the District Charter. This year we will have ONE parent vacancy on the SLT and will have the SLT election in late August. If you are interested in filling one of the vacancies, please complete this form. If you have any questions regarding the SLT, feel free to contact Dr. Brookins.
Dr. Holly Brookins (GL Principal)
Summer Clayton (Assistant Principal)
Jill Tolsma (Staff)
Marnie Kaplan (Staff)
Courtney Simon (District Rep)
Natasha Vorspel-Reuter (Parent rolling off)
Lisa Loveall (Parent)
Lauren Wattenmaker (Parent)
Sarah Jones (Parent)
K-5 Google Workspace Password Resets
Friday, July 29, students in grades K-5 will have their CSD Google Workspace account password reset to the default password which is student plus their ID number For example, if Chinua Achebe were a student with ID number 98765, his default password would be student98765. After this reset occurs, students may change their password themselves here.