Fun in Fourth Grade
A Newsletter About Our Fantastic 4th Grade "Chastain-ians"
Heartfelt Thanks & Shout Outs
I want to give a HUGE shout out to some super readers. We've had three kiddos read nearly non-stop since school began and as a result, have reached our MILLION WORD READER CHALLENGE! Congratulations Arda A., Yathin M. and Will C. I am so proud of your dedication to meeting this goal. Keep reading!
Baseline assessment summaries were given to kids to take home on Friday. Please check your child's homework folder for an overview of your child's current performance levels in relation to end-of-year benchmarks.
English Language Arts
- Based on individual assessment data, students were assigned personalized Accelerated Reader points goals for the first trimester. Students earn points by reading books of their own choosing and take AR quizzes on what they have read. Mid-trimester Accelerated Reader Goals will be checked on Sept. 14. At this point I will check to see how students are progressing towards meeting the trimester AR goal. They should be approximately 50% of their goal by this time.
- We are continuing to read our class novel, The Westing Game, finding explicitly stated and inferred details. We use these details in the text to study characters and how they contribute to the plot of our story.
- Beginning Monday, students will be introduced to using Spelling City to practice the Westing Game vocabulary words that were introduced last week. Just like spelling activities, they will practice vocabulary game activities at home as well. We will test on these 10 vocabulary words in class on Friday, Sept. 11.
- We continue discussing the characteristics of good writing. Our focus next week will be on using evidence to support a statement or opinion.
- For spelling homework this week, students will play games on Spelling City to learn the spelling patterns in "List 11." This list is on contractions and corresponds with the work we are doing in grammar next week. On Friday, we will take the test in class. Students have usernames and passwords for this website on a label inside their "Super Magnetic Binders."
- We will be continuing with our work in Chapter 2 which covers concepts relating to adding and subtracting whole numbers. Click this link for the family overview of the math covered in this chapter from McGraw Hill.
- 4th grade standards relating to this chapter include: B.1-B.9 and C.1-C.7. On Tuesday, 20 minutes of IXL homework will be assigned due on Friday. They may choose any of these strands listed. Students needing an extra challenge may work on 5th grade strands: D.1-D.11 if their pre-test data indicates this to be necessary or students have already mastered the assigned 4th grade strands.
- In social studies, we began studying California's place in the world. Next week students will be looking at geographic features of California's regions.
Other Important Reminders
- Scholastic book orders are available to students. Currently, I am only taking orders online. It is easy to place an online Scholastic book order. Click this link and use the classroom activation code: L6L3V. Orders will be placed on Sept. 15.
- Want to order Westlake Charter spirit wear? Click here for an order form. Orders are due by Sept. 15.
- A friendly reminder about your child's comfort in the classroom...Our classroom is located far away from the nearest drinking fountain. It is very helpful to provide your child with a water bottle that can be used in the classroom. Also, because we are in a portable classroom, the temperature can vary quite a bit (hot and stuffy when the air conditioning is not running, and something akin to an arctic blast if seated near the vent when the air is on.) It can be helpful to have your child bring a sweatshirt to prevent a chill if he or she is seated next to the air conditioning vent.
- Conveniently, WCS provides all classroom supplies for students so that parents need not battle for the last spiral notebook at Target. : ) If you are willing and able, donations of $25 for the supplies provided can also be paid at http://westlakecharter.com/about/supply-field-trip-and-t-shirt-donations/. A suggested donation for field trip fees are also at this link. Thank you for considering!
- Sept. 7: Labor Day -- No School
- Sept. 9: Parent Google in Education Night from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. in the DP cafeteria
- Sept. 10: WCS Board Meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Pebblewood Campus in Room P11
- Sept. 11: Crazy Hair Spirit Day
- Sept. 17: WAVE Bingo Night from 6:30-8:00 p.m. in Del Paso cafeteria
- Sept. 24: WCMS Chili Cook-Off from 6:00-8:00 p.m. on Pebblewood blacktop
- Oct. 1: Picture Day