Dolphin Parent Connection
March 2020 Volume 5, Issue 7
A Message from the Principal
Upcoming Events and Important Dates
March is Youth Art Month, National Nutrition Month, and National Women's History Month
· Monday, March 2nd: Reading Month Begins: Book Character Dress-up Day
· Monday, March 2nd: SOL Math Tutoring @ 2:45-3:50 PM (select students in 3rd-5th)
· Monday, March 2nd--Friday, March 6th: School Social Worker Week
· Tuesday, March 3rd: Staff Work Day--No School for Students
· Wednesday, March 4th: Progress Reports Issued for Select Students
· Wednesday, March 4th: PTA Dolphin Academy @ 2:45-3:30 PM
· Wednesday, March 4th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:15 PM (5th graders)
· Wednesday, March 4th: Anchored4Life Club @ 2:45-3:50 PM (3rd-5th graders)
· Thursday, March 5th: SOL Math Tutoring @ 2:45-3:50 PM (select students in 3rd-5th)
· Friday, March 6th: Family Paint Night @ 6:00-7:30 PM (registration details will be sent soon)
· Monday, March 9th: SOL Math Tutoring @ 2:45-3:50 PM (select students in 3rd-5th)
· Tuesday, March 10th: Running Club @ 7:15-7:45 AM (open to all Shamrock Final Mile participants)
· Tuesday, March 10th: Maker Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM (5th graders)
· Tuesday, March 10th: Battle of the Books City Semi-finals @ 5:00 PM (VB Central Library)
· Wednesday, March 11th: PTA Dolphin Academy @ 2:45-3:30 PM
· Wednesday, March 11th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:15 PM (5th graders)
· Wednesday, March 11th: Helping Hands @ 2:45-4:00 PM (2nd-5th graders)
· Wednesday, March 11th: SCA Meeting @ 2:45-4:00 PM (3rd-5th graders)
· Thursday, March 12th: SOL Math Tutoring @ 2:45-3:50 PM (select students in 3rd-5th)
· Friday, March 13th: Third Grade Field Trip to see Moana
· Monday, March 16th--Friday, March 20th: SCA Canned Food Drive
· Monday, March 16th--Friday, March 27th: Helping Hands Spring Flower
· Monday, March 16th: SOL Math Tutoring @ 2:45-3:50 PM (select students in 3rd-5th)
· Tuesday, March 17th: Running Club @ 7:15-7:45 AM (open to all Shamrock Final Mile participants)
· Tuesday, March 17th: Art Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM (4th graders)
· Tuesday, March 17th: Music Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM (4th graders)
· Wednesday, March 18th: PTA Dolphin Academy @ 2:45-3:30 PM
· Wednesday, March 18th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:15 PM (5th graders)
· Wednesday, March 18th: Helping Hands @ 2:45-4:00 PM (2nd-5th graders)
· Thursday, March 19th: Beach Bags City-wide Food Drive
· Thursday, March 19th: SOL Math Tutoring @ 2:45-3:50 PM (select students in 3rd-5th)
· Friday, March 20th: Reading Month Spirit Day--Dress Like a Word Day
· Friday, March 20th: Helping Hands Spaghetti Dinner--see additional info below
· Saturday, March 21st: Operation Smile Shamrock Final Mile @ 11:00 (Oceanfront)
· Monday, March 23rd: SOL Math Tutoring @ 2:45-3:50 PM (select students in 3rd-5th)
· Monday, March 23rd: Garden Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM (3rd-5th graders)
· Tuesday, March 24th: Maker Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM (5th graders)
· Tuesday, March 24th: Fifth Grade Field Trip to see Music Man
· Wednesday, March 25th: Spirit Day at Mod Pizza @ 10:30-9:00 PM https://www.groupraise.com/events/110851
· Wednesday, March 25th: PTA Dolphin Academy @ 2:45-3:30 PM
· Wednesday, March 25th: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:15 PM (5th graders)
· Thursday, March 26th: SOL Math Tutoring @ 2:45-3:50 PM (select students in 3rd-5th)
· Friday, March 27th: End of 3rd Marking Period
· Friday, March 27th: Reading Month Spirit Day: Flashlight Friday--bring a flashlight for Drop Everything and Read
· Monday, March 30th: Beginning of 4th Marking Period
· Monday, March 30th: SOL Reading Tutoring @ 2:45-3:50 PM (select students in 3rd-5th)
· Tuesday, March 31st: Fire Safety Assembly for Grades K-3
· Tuesday, March 31st: Fourth Grade Field Trip to see Music Man
· Tuesday, March 31st: Art Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM (4th graders)
· Tuesday, March 31st: Music Club @ 2:45-4:00 PM (4th graders)
· Wednesday, April 1st: STEM/Robotics Club @ 2:45-4:15 PM (5th graders)
· Wednesday, April 1st: Anchored4Life Club @ 2:45-3:50 PM (3rd-5th graders)
· Wednesday, April 1st: Fourth Grades classes (Martinette & Volkman) to the Planetarium
· Thursday, April 2nd: Spring Picture Day
· Thursday, April 2nd: Fourth Grades classes (Chavarria, Koach, & Kurowski) to the Planetarium
· Thursday, April 2nd: SOL Reading Tutoring @ 2:45-3:50 PM (select students in 3rd-5th)
· Thursday, April 2nd: Spirit Night at Lucky Oyster @ 5:00-8:00 PM
· Friday, April 3rd: Helping Hands Spring Flower Pick-up @ 4:00-5:15 PM
· Saturday, April 4th: Spring Clean-up Day @ 9:00 AM-12:00 PM
March Is Reading Month at Red Mill
- March 2nd - Dress Up as Your Favorite Character: Come to school all decked out as your favorite character to help kickoff Reading Month! For example, Pete the Cat, Amelia Bedilia, or Harry Potter!
- March 13th--Buddy Reading Day during morning meeting (upper grade class will be paired with a lower grade class).
- March 20th - Dress Like a Word Day: For example, you could dress up in your favorite camo gear for the word “camouflage” or dress in the colors red, white, and blue for the word “patriotic.” Be sure to have your word on display!
- March 27th - Flashlight Friday: Bring a flashlight to school for a special time of reading. As a class, students will enjoy a special time of reading with the lights out and their flashlights.
Helping Hands Spaghetti Dinner & Spring Flower Sale
March is a busy month for Helping Hands. We will hold our annual Spaghetti dinner on Friday, March 20th. Two seating times will be offered: 5:30 PM & 6:45 PM. Proceeds from the dinner will go to support Next Generation Animal Services and Wild Baby Raccoon Rescue. Please see attached order form for more information.
Additionally, Helping Hands will hold their spring flower sale March 16th--March 27th. The flower pick-up date is April 3rd. See order form and flower selection options below.
SCA Canned Food Drive
The SCA will be holding their second annual Survivor Island canned food drive the week of March 16th. Staff members need your food donation to remain on the island. Which staff members will be kicked off the island? And who will be the ultimate survivor? All non-perishable food donations will be given to the city-wide Beach Bags food drive and a local food bank.
March Is Youth Art Month
March is Youth Art Month! We will have student artwork on display at MOCA from March 4th through April 5th. We will also have artwork on display at Anderson’s on Sandbridge Road from March 6th through April 1st. Please come out and see our wonderful student artists!
MOCA Art Show Participants
- Evan from Ennis’ Class (Evan was chosen for this year’s Youth Art Month Invitation & Poster)
- Cami from Wright’s Class
- Grace V. from Barrios’ Class
- Piper from Petermann’s Class
- Mr. Schmidt’s Classroom Personal Symbol Totem
Anderson’s Art Show
- Lola from Barrios' Class
- Grace from Ginn’s class
- Emily from Petermann’s class
- Kennedy from Ennis’ class
- William from Tobin’s class
- Liam from Petermann’s class
- Zac from Murphy’s Class
- James from Reed’s class
- Tyler from Kurowski’s class
- Alani from Hare’s class
- Zara from Hare’s class
- Michelle from Bakner’s Class
- Kendall from Pierce’s Class
- Sadie from Pierce’s Class
- Izzy from Petermann’s class
- Stella from Patterson’s class
2019-2020 Yearbooks On Sale Now
You can pre-order your 2019-2020 RMES Yearbooks. Yearbook order forms are available in the Art Room. You can also pre-order yearbooks online at ybpay.lifetouch.com with code 13007620. Standard yearbooks are $20.00 and personalized yearbooks are $25.00.
March PE News
Operation Smile Shamrock Final Mile
Register to run with Red Mill in the Operation Smile Shamrock Final Mile! Saturday, March 21st, 11 AM https://register.hakuapp.com/?event=e43edd9eb215ded263e0
Let's turn out in big numbers to represent Red Mill.
If you would like to order a Red Mill Final Mile t-shirt to wear on the day of the event, order form and money must be turned in no later than Wednesday, March 4th. Order form is below.
In preparation for the Operation Smile Final Mile in March, Ms. Parker will be sponsoring a morning fitness club for students registered to participate in the Final Mile race. If your child is registered to run in the Final Mile race on March 21st and is interested in participating in the fitness club, we will meet in the gym from 7:15 – 7:45 AM on Tuesdays beginning January 28th until March 17th. Students may be running outside so they should have appropriate clothing for the weather. In case of rain or extreme cold, the fitness club will participate in indoor fitness activities in the gym. Students are still responsible for recording their progress on their mileage trackers at home. Your student must be registered for the Operation Smile Shamrock Final Mile in order to participate in this club. Please print and return the attached permission slip to Ms. Parker.
School Counselor Corner
In March, classroom counseling lessons will focus on college and career awareness. Students will explore the world of work through hands-on play and independent research, and they will begin to identify careers of interest. You can support this work at home by visiting Virginia Career VIEW online at www.vaview.org – here students can explore a variety of careers through games and interactive activities.
Please feel free to contact me by phone (648-3572) or e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have any questions or concerns.
Volunteer of the Year:
Congratulations to Anna Campbell, our Red Mill Elementary “Volunteer of the Year!” Mrs. Campbell has been giving her time to our school for many years. She has coordinated the copy room, helped make our Silent Auction a success, helped many children in the library, and she now substitute teaches in the classroom. She truly makes a difference at Red Mill!
During the month of March, the PTA will hold our “Spring Dolphin Academy!” It will be on Wednesdays immediately after school until 3:30 PM. These free extra-curricular offerings allow students to explore a variety of educational, yet fun classes. An email was recently sent out with all the details on classes and how to sign up online. You can also check the Red Mill PTA Facebook page for more details. We are excited to once again host these sessions and thank our volunteers for offering their time!
We could use a few assistants to help with check-in and dismissal. Please email email@example.com if you are able to help on Wednesdays in March.
Spring Family Fun Night:
We are planning a fun, casual night at the beach on Friday, May 1st from 5-7 PM. Bring your own picnic dinner. We'll provide the DJ and games! We'll be at the shelter/picnic table area of Little Island Park. No need to RSVP.
We hope you enjoyed the “Dolphin Splash Variety Show.” The students did an excellent job and displayed bravery to perform in front of a crowd. A special thanks to Keegan Daley who volunteered many hours to organize the event and to Alan Gamboa, our sound technician. Thank you also to Alex Gilligan for her back-stage help and decorations, as well as Mr. Cordero for the pre-show entertainment.
School year 2020-2021:
Much of our PTA executive board will be turning over in the Spring and we’re excited to announce that we have chosen new board members! We will officially announce them once they’ve taken over their duties.
However, we always need volunteers to be chairpersons for various events throughout the year as well as parents to help on the day of the event.
5th Grade Parents Needed:
If you have a 5th grader and would like to help plan the celebrations for the end of the school year, please let us know if you can help with either the end-of-year social, crossing over ceremony, or wall handprint painting.
The Red Mill PTA is offering two $1,000 scholarships to any graduating high school senior, moving on to higher education, who attended Red Mill Elementary School for a minimum of two years. The application can be found on Scholarship Central at vbschools.com and the deadline to enter is April 21st. If there are any further questions, you can contact the chairperson, Heather Holmgren, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The PTA is postponing the board planning meeting that was scheduled for March 10. We will post updates on the Facebook page and the bulletin board in the foyer.
E-mail email@example.com or go through our Facebook page – Red Mill PTA - with any questions or concerns.
Dismissal Change Reminders
Free Access to Virginia Beach Public Library Digital Resources
Did you know that Virginia Beach students have digital access to the Virginia Beach Public Library? Through a partnership between Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) and Virginia Beach Public Library (VBPL), all K-12 students have year-round public library digital access.
Browse for resources using this link VBPL's Digital Library or access the Virginia Beach Public library through Clever. When prompted for a library card or account number, enter the following:
Login: S + VBCPS Student ID number. Example: S1234567
Password or "PIN": Date of birth in MMDD format. Example: a Jan. 1 birthday would be 0101
- Students only need their login and password to access digital resources 24/7. No physical library card is issued.
- Student accounts include public computer access at all VBPL locations except for the TCC/City Joint-Use Library.
- VBCPS accounts expire 30 days after a student graduates or leaves the VBCPS district.
- Access to Hoopla and Newsbank resources is not included in VBCPS student accounts.
- Students may also hold a Youth Library card (with parent signature) to check out physical items from the library.
Not Receiving Text Messages from the School?
Our records indicate that we still have some families not receiving text messages from the school with important reminders and transportation changes. If you have not received any text messages from Red Mill this school year, you may have not yet Opted in to receive text messages. See below for directions on how to Opt In or Opt Out of text messages.
How do I know if I have Opted-in?
You can check if you are opted-in by texting “Y” or "YES" to 67587.
How do I opt-out?
You may opt-out at any time by texting “STOP” to 67587.
What if I opted-out but later decide I would like to opt-in again?
As long as your child’s school has your text-enabled phone number on record, you may request to begin receiving text messages by texting “Y” or "YES" to 67587. If the school does not have your text-enabled number on record, you will need to contact the school.
If you would like to do any of the following regarding your child's lunch account, please visit https://www.schoolcafe.com/virginiabeachcps
· Make Payments
· Set up Auto Pay
· Set Purchase Restrictions
· Get Low Balance Alerts
· Submit Applications
· View Purchases
· View Menus
Students and their parents are encouraged to visit the Academic and Career Planning webpage to view and engage with K-12 career resources, middle and high school academic and career planning documents, and career pathway guides. Likewise, the Destination Graduation site offers students and families grade-level specific information and resources to help students and families navigate the journey from preschool to high school graduation.