Developing Critical Readers
Engaging Students in Authentic and Rigorous Reading Workshop
June 9, 2016 / San Antonio, TX
Teach Critical Thinking Strategies and Provide "Just Right" Practice
Specifically designed for educators in grades 1st-8th Grades
- Close VS. Critical Reading
- Effective Guided Reading Instruction
- When and How to Engage Students in Close Reading Tasks
- Critical Figure 19 Thinking Skills Proficient Readers Use
- 5 Steps for Planning and Teaching Small Group Lessons
- Purposeful Text Annotations
- Writing Responses to Reading
- Reading for Authentic Purposes
- Engaging Students in Rich Text Discussion That Deepens Understanding
- Gradually Increasing Text Complexity
- Using technology in Reading & Writing Instruction
- Fiction, Nonfiction, and Poetry Text Sources for Small Group Reading
- Example Lesson Plans and Tips for Planning
- And Much More!!!
Goals of the Seminar
- Understand tenets of effective small group reading instruction
- Identify critical thinking strategies and ways to engage students in applying the strategies to deepen comprehension
- Use real world topics to engage students
- Identify and explain comprehension strategies (Figure 19)
- Examine and implement authentic, rigorous reading practice activities for grades 1-8
- Explore engagement strategies for struggling students
Meet the Presenter
Developing Critical Readers Workshop
Thursday, June 9th, 8:30am
77 Northeast Interstate 410 Loop
San Antonio, TX
Holiday Inn- San Antonio Airport (North Star Mall)
77 NE Interstate 410 Loop
San Antonio, TX
8:00am - 8:30am Registration
8:30am - 11:30am Morning Session
Lunch is on your own.
12:30pm - 3:30pm Afternoon Session
Wifi will be provided
B.Y.O.D. (Bring your own device)
6 hours of professional development earned
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
$195 per participant
Administrators attend for FREE with registration of 3 or more teachers!
**10% discount for groups booking 3 or more! ($175 Per Person)
*** Register for 2 or more days of our Summer 2016 Professional Development and receive a 10% discount on each day's price! ($175 per day)
You can register by Faxing, Calling, or Emailing your registration form in.
Purchase Orders are accepted.
Please Make Checks or Purchase Orders out to Kelly Harmon & Associates
Call (817) 583-1290
Fax (972) 369-7327
For more Information please contact us today!
Other Workshops Offerings
We offer all of our workshops as onsite trainings! Contact us for more information!
Check Out Kelly Harmon's Book!
Kelly Harmon & Robert Marzano teamed up to write Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes. The book is part of the Essentials for Achieving Rigor Series.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes: Classroom Techniques to Help Students Develop Proficiency explores explicit techniques for mastering this crucial strategy of instructional practice. It includes:
- Explicit steps for implementation
- Recommendations for monitoring students’ ability to develop fluent thinking
- Adaptations for students who struggle, have special needs, or excel in learning
- Examples and non-examples from classroom practice
- Common mistakes and ways to avoid them