November 4, 2022
Thoughts from Dr. Pacatte
Last week, the Illinois State Board of Education released the latest version of the Illinois State Report Card. These report cards provide information on each school and district in the State of Illinois. Information and data related to enrollment, demographics, attendance, and state test results are analyzed and the State provides a designation of Exemplary, Commendable, Targeted, and Comprehensive. I'd like to recognize all four schools in our district for being designated as Commendable. Despite the events of the recent past, many of our staff and students were able to continue focusing on learning. Our Learning Recovery program, designed to support students demonstrating significant loss of learning as a result of the pandemic contributed to this designation. There is absolutely room for growth, and we continue to diagnose our performance and identify areas where we can provide additional support.
Please click this link to visit Myirc and find our District and school information.
Tweet of the Week
Clocks fall back Sunday morning!
Here are a few reminders and information about School Breakfast and Lunch during the 2022-2023 School Year.
- If your child(ren) is Paid or Reduced, please communicate with your child(ren) about purchasing meals. Let them know if it is okay to get breakfast and lunch at school.
- Ala Carte options available to students in grades 6-8 ONLY at River Trail and Viking. A positive balance must be on a student’s account to purchase these items.
- All students that qualify for Free Lunch through direct certification or approved by an application for free will receive their 1st meal free; if they get another lunch meal, the cost will be $4.50. If your student is approved for reduced lunch, the price for the 2nd lunch will be $4.50.
- Notifications on lunch balances for all students are sent to parents/guardians on Wednesdays at 7am via email through your Skyward Family Access.
- Families that do not qualify for free lunch and a fee waiver via direct certification can apply by logging into your Skyward Family Access and applying electronically or picking up an application form from your child's school office. Click here to view instructions.
- For students with food allergies, please fill out a Medical Authority Modified Meal Request Form and have it signed by your child’s doctor. The forms are also available in the school office of your student. Please submit it back to your child's school office when completed.
- For more information or updates on lunch services please visit the Gurnee School District 56 website.
What is Summer 2022 P-EBT?
Gurnee School District 56 families qualify for the Summer 2022 P-EBT. Please click on the link below to view more information from the Illinois Department of Human Services.
If you have questions about P-EBT, please contact the toll-free P-EBT Helpline number at 1-833-621-0737 from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm, Monday thru Friday, excluding State holidays. You can also submit an inquiry via our P-EBT Website. Gurnee School District 56 does not have any information on how to set-up or how to troubleshoot issues with your P-EBT card. You will need to contact the P-EBT Helpline number.
Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee
The Bilingual Parent Advisory Committee (BPAC) had their first meeting of the year. The families learned more about the D56 One-Way Dual Language program and had a great time together playing lotería (bingo), doing Zumba, reading books, and socializing.
Halloween Celebration at D56!
Día de los Muertos
River Trail students celebrated and learned more about Dia de los Muertos. Mrs. Foster‘s class and Mr. Ramirez‘s class taught other classes about the ofrenda (altar) that is used to honor their loved ones who had passed away. We honored members of the River Trail family who have passed away with an ofrenda.
The 4th Annual Pumpkin Time-bomb! A success for this spirited class of 7th graders.
Gurnee Park District
Each age group will be divided into teams with a maximum of 10 players each. Age groups may be combined if numbers are low. Boys and girls will be on separate teams. Starting November 28, practices are held once per week from 6:45 – 8 pm. Games will be played on Saturdays starting January 13, ending March 11.
Village of Gurnee 28th Annual Jon Callaghan Memorial Turkey Trot
28th Annual Jon Callaghan Memorial Turkey Trot 5K Fun Run&Walk
Come join us for the...Jon Callaghan Memorial Turkey Trot 28th ANNUAL 5K fun run & walk. One of the goals in the run/walk is to encourage the community to come together and get to know each other in a relaxed atmosphere.
When Halloween is over and your pumpkin is getting a little squishy, don’t dump it in the trash, smash it—at one of several Pumpkin Smash composting events held this Friday and Saturday! See the full list of drop offs for your old pumpkin: https://swalco.org/433/Pumpkin-Composting
Lake County Health Department
Help prevent the spread of severe respiratory illnesses like influenza, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), and COVID-19 by taking appropriate precautions.
If you have not already, get your annual flu vaccine and an updated COVID-19 booster. Visit Vaccines.gov to find a location near you.
Lake County Rental Assistance Program Now Open
NEWS: Lake County Rental Assistance Program Now Open. Apply at lakecountyil.gov/4578
Lake County renters who faced financial hardship during the COVID-19 pandemic may apply for the new Lake County Rental Assistance (LCRA) Program, which provides help for individuals paying rent. The application period will run from Oct. 11 - Nov. 15, 2022.
Lake County is working with community partners to help keep families in their homes as we continue to work together and move forward from the COVID-19 pandemic. Eligible households may receive up to six months of assistance with rent.