CRS Rice Bowl

For Lent For Life

About

CRS (Catholic Relief Services) Rice Bowl is a Catholic organization that hands out tiny cardboard boxes or more commonly known as rice bowls for people to empty their spare change into at the end of every day. The money that gets donated is sent to over 40 different countries around the world. The donation gifts also not only gets sent to different countries, but different causes too. CRS Rice Bowl also provides meatless recipes for people to fast meat every Friday during Lent ( A 40- day period starting on Ash Wednesday and ending Easter Sunday.)
Big image

Donate

25% of money donated remains with the church collecting money where they are given for hunger and alleviation efforts in their communities. The other 75% goes to


  • agricultural projects that help farmers improve harvests
  • water and sanitation projects that bring clean water to communities
  • microfinance projects that support small businesses
  • mother and child health projects offer health and nutrition services
  • education projects that provide resources and training
Big image

Evidence of the Problem

  • Almost 1/2 of the world's population- 3 billion people live on less than $2.50 a day
  • nearly 1 in 4 people live in conditions that harm health and safety
  • about 795 million people in the world do not have enough food to lead a healthy life
  • over 1.3 billion people in the world live in extreme poverty- less than $1.25 a day
  • nearly 1 billion children live in poverty worldwide
  • according to Unicef, 22,000 children worldwide die each day due to poverty
  • 805 million people worldwide do not have enough food to eat
  • 2,300 people worldwide die each day from a lack of adequate access to clean drinking water

Long- term effects

  • Each year, nearly 17 million children are born underweight because of poor nourishment before and during pregnancy
  • In young children, hunger delays the development of the cognitive and emotional level. These include reading, language, memory, attention, and problem- solving capability
  • Each year, over 2 million children experience severe eyesight issues and some are permanently blinded because of a lack of vitamin A.
  • Malnourishment can greatly impact a child's immune system making them more susceptible to infectious diseases
Big image

Sources

"The Long-Term Effects of Hunger." 2 Degrees Food. N.p., 21 Apr. 2014. Web. 19 May 2016. <http://twodegreesfood.com/2014/04/the-long-term-effects-of-hunger/>.

"CRS Rice Bowl." CRS Rice Bowl. N.p., n.d. Web. <www.crsricebowl.org>.

"Affects of Hunger on the Brain." N.p., n.d. Web. <www.30hourfamine.org/2011/affest-of-hunger-on-the-brain/>.

N.p., n.d. Web. <www.dosomething.org/11-facts-about-global-poverty>.

N.p., n.d. Web. <www.habitat.org/getinu/events/world/housing-facts>.