Castle View Family Newsletter
September 30, 2022
Hello, Castle View Families:
Please note the finals schedule next week!
- On Wednesday, October 5, students will take finals in period 2A. The bell schedule will be normal.
- On Thursday, October 6, students will take finals in periods 1 and 2(B) and be dismissed early at 11:20.
- On Friday, October 7, students will take finals in periods 3 and 4 and be dismissed early at 11:20.
Also, please consider joining us at the October SAC Meeting on Wednesday, October 5 at 6:30 in the back of the library. We will be discussing the results of the SAC family survey, the new schedule, and analyzing achievement and perception data to make recommendations for our Unified Improvement Plan. I hope to see you there.
As always, thank you for sharing your kids with us. It is our honor to serve them.
Jeena Templeton, Ed.D.
Principal, Castle View High School
Mark your calendars with these important dates:
Included in this section are our Home, Varsity Athletics and Activities. We'd love to see you there!
Oct 3: Official October Count Day
Oct 4: Senior class panoramic picture at 9:00 am.
Oct 5-7: Term I Finals (See schedule below- Early Dismissal on Thursday, Oct 6 and Friday, Oct 7).
Oct 5: Senior Photos DUE for the year book! (See submission info below!); Homecoming tickets and Showdown shirts for sale during lunch; SAC Meeting at 6:30pm in the CV Library
Oct 6: Football at 6 at DC Stadium; Volleyball at 6 at CV
Oct 8: Marching Band at Douglas County Marching Invitational at DC Stadium at 11am
Oct 10 & 11: Extended Advisement Schedule for Showdown Practice
Oct 12: Optional Fall SAT testing ~ Extended Advisement Schedule
Oct 13: Homecoming Football Game @ 6 at DC Stadium; Volleyball at 6 at CV
Oct 14: Showdown schedule during the day (see details below); Homecoming Dance at 7:30-10:30 at CV
Oct 17-21: Fall Break ~ No School for Students
Homecoming Week Details
- Camo vs. Tie Dye theme day
- Extended Advisement: Song and Cheer Practices by grade
- Panda Express Food night (all day)
- Night Event: Unified Kickball vs. Staff team, 4pm @ CV Baseball Field
- Crazy Hat Day
- Extended Advisement: Song and Cheer Practices by grade
- Smash Burger Food Night (all day)
- Night Event: Powder Puff Football, 6pm @ CV Turf (9th vs. 10th begins at 6; 11th vs.12th immediately after)
- BBQ Dad vs. Soccer Mom theme day
- Extended Advisement: Testing in Progress. Final event practices if supervised by adult. No song/cheer.
- Crumbl Cookies & Freddy's (tentative) Food night
- Night Event: Ruff n Tuff Volleyball, 5pm @ CV Gymnasium (9th vs. 10th begins @ 5, 11th v. 12 immediately after)
- TO BE DETERMINED Spirit Day!
- Advisement: Senior Cap & Gown Meeting. Otherwise it's normal academic Advisement.
- Chick-Fil-A food night (both Castle Rock Locations, all day)
- Night Event: Homecoming Football vs. MVHS @ 6pm. Blackout Theme. Homecoming Royalty @ Halftime
Friday 10/14: SHOWDOWN DAY
- Wear your Showdown Shirt theme day
- Special Showdown Schedule (see below)
- Showdown 12:20-2:55
- Black Rock Coffee food night (all day)
- Night Event: Homecoming Dance, 7:30-10:30pm @ CV Commons/Gym/Courtyard
Showdown Day (Friday, Oct 14) Schedule:
Period 1 7:40 - 8:30
Period 2 8:35 - 9:20
- 2A 8:35 - 8:55
- 2B 9:00 - 9:20
Period 3 9:25 - 10:10
Period 4 10:15 - 11:00
Advisement 11:05 - 12:35
- (9th/11th) Lunch 11:00 – 11:35
- (10th/12th) Lunch 11:35 – 12:10
Showdown 12:20 – 2:55
22-23 Yearbook Information
1. Purchasing a yearbook. Families can purchase a yearbook through My School Bucks or by visiting jostensyearbooks.com.
2. Senior photos. Senior photos are due on Oct. 5, 2022 at 3 pm. Please see this link for important submission instructions: https://cdn5-ss14.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_11439508/Image/UPDATED%20CVHS%20Class%20of%202023%20Senior%20Mailer.pdf Late photos will not be accepted.
3. Senior recognition ads. An early-bird discount is available until Oct. 20, 2022. The final deadline will be Dec. 15, 2022. Information about senior ads can be found here: https://cdn5-ss14.sharpschool.com/UserFiles/Servers/Server_11439508/Image/castle%20view%20teaser%202023.pdf. There is limited space available, so we recommend getting senior ads submitted as soon as possible.
The first step to finding the money you need for college: Completing the FAFSA®
Register now for a free virtual event:
Wednesday, October 5 at 7pm ET | 6pm CT | 5pm MT | 4pm PT
Join our experts for a discussion on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®). We’ll share helpful tips and information to help you complete your FAFSA® and find the money you need to pay for college.
Space is limited, so please register early!
College and Postsecondary Fair!
WINTER SPORTS REGISTRATION will open Monday, October 24, 2022!
The following three things MUST be done before your athlete will be able to participate in tryouts or first practice:
1. Registration on the sabercatsports.org website for the sport participating in (out of building athletes need additional paperwork completed BEFORE registering)
2. Upload a current physical as part of the registration process- they are good for one calendar year from date of visit and you can use your Dr's office form or the one on the website
3. Payment of the $200 participation fee on MySchoolBucks is REQUIRED to be cleared.
Winter sports at CVHS include:
*Ice Hockey (Co-Op team with Rock Canyon and Douglas County High Schools)
*Girls Swim & Dive (Co-Op team with Douglas County and registration is on their athletics website)
*Girls Wrestling (Co-Op team with Douglas County and registration is on their athletics website)
Questions? Reach out to Cari Gillespie - firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-387-9013
Attention Class of 2023!
Post Grad Newsletter September 29
MLO and Bond Information
On August 23, the Douglas County School District Board of Education unanimously voted 7-0 to place a $60 million Mill Levy Override (MLO) and $450 million Bond on the 2022 ballot.
If passed by voters, these new funds would be used at our school to:
Increase teacher and staff pay
Enhance safety and security systems
Refresh student and staff technology
Make much needed repairs and upgrades to our building
Seal exterior walls
Install new intercom system
Upgrade theater and stage lighting and sound systems
Our teachers in the Douglas County School District earn, on average, $18,000 less compared to a neighboring school district. Additional MLO funding, if passed by voters, would help the school district provide teachers and staff, including the amazing staff at our school, a competitive salary.
DCSD teachers, on average, would receive a 9% pay increase, as reflected in these salary schedules
Classified staff members, such as bus drivers, educational assistants, custodians, etc., would receive a 9% pay increase
Other staff, including school principals and administrators, would receive a 6% pay increase
A $450 million Bond, if passed by voters, would help DCSD construct three new neighborhood elementary schools in quickly growing neighborhoods (The Canyons in Castle Pines, Crystal Valley Ranch in Castle Rock, and Sterling Ranch in Highlands Ranch). It would also provide for building expansions at Mesa Middle School in Castle Rock and Sierra Middle School in Parker to help reduce crowding and plan for growth. The Bond would also assist DCSD in implementing safety and security upgrades, and updating and repairing its existing school buildings (including ours), to provide safe, efficient, quality learning environments for students and staff.
If the MLO and Bond are approved by voters, Douglas County homeowners will pay $1 per week per $100,000 of home value. For example, a Douglas County resident with a home valued at $500,000 would pay approximately $250 more per year if both measures are approved.
You can read more about Douglas County School District’s funding challenges on our website. Thank you for continuing to be an engaged and informed member of our school community!
Fall 2022 Assessment Schedule- OCTOBER 12TH
As a reminder, students who signed up for the Fall 2022 optional assessments will complete testing on October 12th, 2022. For all other students, that day will be an extended Advisement schedule.
Students who are testing will receive an email next week with their testing location, and testing locations will be posted by the front doors on assessment day. Testing students will be excused from their 1st, Advisement, and 2nd hour classes and will only be required to make up essential work from that day.
- If you are calling your child out of school for an early dismissal, please call the attendance line at 303-387-9002, give us the reason for dismissal, the time they should be dismissed and the estimated time they will be returning.
- You have up to 24 hours to call in any excused absence for your child.
- Students who accumulate 4 tardies within a term will serve a 30 minute after school detention.
- Students who accumulate 4 unexcused absences within in term will serve a 60 minute after school detention.
Thank you for help ensuring our students in are in class and on time. Encouraging consistent attendance helps your child get better grades, develop healthy life habits, avoid dangerous behavior and have a better chance of graduating from high school.
CVHS Birthday Grams!
Say “HAPPY BIRTHDAY” to your Sabercat with a BIRTHDAY GRAM on the marquee out in front of the school!
For only $10, your student will get a special shout out on our sign on their birthday!!! A perfect opportunity to show them love - and an awesome place to get that photo or selfie!
Use this link to order and pay for your birthday gram! Payment will be done through My School Bucks, link at end of order form.
Deadline is 10 days prior to your student’s birthday.
(Birthdays must fall within our regular class schedule, they will not run on breaks nor over the summer. You may schedule NOW for birthdays through the last day of class in May!)
Castle View High School
Our mission is to transform high school learning through meaningful Relationships, Relevant learning, and a Rigorous academic environment where every Castle View student will graduate with the skills and knowledge necessary to be successful in the 21st Century.