Trail Blazer News
Conducted by our Communication Crew
Clara: What is your favorite specialist?
Clara: What is your favorite color?
Clara: What is your shape?
Clara: What is your favorite food?
Clara: What is your favorite holiday?
Clara: Who is your favorite teacher?
Evan: Mrs. Morris.
Elise: Who is your best friend?
Evan: Ansel Decean.
Elise: What is your favorite animal?
Elise: What is your favorite book?
Evan: My Side of the Mountain.
Elise: Do you like art?
Kathryn: What is your favorite movie?
Kathryn: What is your favorite day of the week?
Kathryn: What is your favorite month?
Kathryn: What is your favorite number?
Kathryn: What is your favorite season?
Kathryn: What is your favorite game?
Kathryn: What is your favorite state?
Evan: North Carolina.
10/6/15: PTO Meeting 6:00 p.m. at Hillcrest
10/7/15: Walk to School Day
10/15/15: Fun Run
10/16/15: Early Release Day
10/26-10/27: No School
10/30/15: Fall Carnival
Wish List: We would greatly appreciate your support!
- Peanut Free Snack (We do not have snack for next week!)
What We are Learning
Reading: We are focusing on nonfiction text features as we explore books about weather and maps.
- RI.2.5 Know and use various text features (e.g., captions, bold print, subheadings, glossaries, indexes, electronic menus, icons) to locate key facts or information in a text efficiently.
Writing: We will continue our Personal Narrative unit this week, and students will continue to use the writing process (brainstorming, drafting, revising, editing, conferencing, and publishing). We are focusing primarily on organization, adding details, and temporal words.
- W.2.3 Write narratives in which they recount a well-elaborated event or short sequence of events, include details to describe actions, thoughts, and feelings, use temporal words to signal event order, and provide a sense of closure.
Fundations: We will begin Unit 4 on Monday. We are focusing on closed syllable exceptions, closed syllables, glued sounds, vowel teams, and r-controlled sounds.
- RF.2.3 Know and apply grade -level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding.
- RF.2.3.D Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- RF.2.3.A Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one syllable words.
Math: We will continue our Money Unit on Monday by focusing on coin identification and counting groups of coins. It is a wonderful skill to continue practicing at home.
- 2.MD.C.8 Solve word problems involving dollar bills or quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies; using symbols appropriately
Science: We will continue our study of weather through creating weather journals, exploring live weather through Google Earth, and creating interactive science journal entries.
- 2.E.1 Understand patterns of weather and factors that affect weather.
Social Studies: We will use continue our map unit by exploring maps our our school and community using GoogleEarth in addition to traditional maps. Students will design their own maps which include symbols, legends, and cardinal directions.
● 2.G.1.1 Interpret maps of the school and community that contain symbols, legends and cardinal directions.