Speakable Items • Mac OS
What are 'Speakable Items'?
- This tool allows users that are visual impaired, who have mobility or dexterity limitations, or with learning disabilities.
- It can be found in all Mac OS computers by going to System Preferences > Accessibility > Speakable Items
- To use Speakable Items you simply turn on the service and hold down one key (default to ESC) and ask "Open Speakable Items Folder". A list of everything you can see will appear.
Some screen shots of the device in action!
In the Classroom
A teacher could allow students to use this assistive technology is many ways. Below are just a few examples of simple ways a teacher can incorporate this technology.
- Provide student with external microphone/headset combination
- Student can dictate to the computer to open Internet browser to conduct research
- Student can dictate to open various applications to complete classwork.
- Speakable Items can work with the built-in voice capture that allows students to speak responses and the computer types it for them