Week at a Glance
HOLIDAY FUN WEEK!
This is the week of our progressive luncheon and white elephant gift exchange!
Many staff members have signed up to bring in yummy treats and other luncheon items throughout the week. Sign up sheets are still posted in the lounge in case you need to check to see what others are bringing. All paper products will be furnished so you don't have to worry about that. Look below for a reminder of what each day's luncheon treat is.
Also, don't forget that this Friday is the last Ugly Sweater Friday and white elephant gift exchange. We'll meet in the multipurpose room at 7:30 a.m. to exchange gifts.
It's hard to believe that winter break is upon us! Happy Holidays to all! I wish you each a wonderful winter break filled with joy!
- PAC luncheon
- Dessert day!
- Week 17 of ELA curriculum guide
- Josh at WC most of day
- 7:30 a.m.--staff collaboration--ISTEP (Reminder, you will need to bring laptops to collaboration.)
- 9:00 a.m.--NEU convocation in gym--See below for alternate specials schedule.
- 3:00 p.m.--safety training in the MP room--Reminder, no students may be present in the building including staff members' children.
- 6:00 p.m.--archery practice
- Salad day!
- 7:30 a.m.--meeting--Jessica P. & Karen
- 8:30 a.m.--meeting?--Josh & Karen
- 10:30 a.m.--meeting--Clea & Karen
- 11:50 a.m.--meeting--Beth & Karen
- 12:30 p.m.--fire inspection
- 12:30-3:30 p.m.--Janelle North at WC (Meet in conference room until 1:45 p.m. and then in w/Janelle in Karen's office from 1:45 p.m. until case conference is done in conference room.)
- 1:45 p.m.--case conference--Deb, Katy, Chelsie, Erin M., & Karen
- 2:40 p.m.--student council meeting
- 2:50 p.m.--RTI meeting--gr. 3 & 4
- 3:00 p.m.--meeting with potential WC family--Karen
- Dips day!
- 7:30 a.m.--staffing--Megan, Jessica P., Deb, Erin M., & Karen
- 8:30 a.m.--case conference--Megan, Jessica P., Deb, Erin M., & Karen
- 8:30 a.m.--data meeting--Caitlin and Kari
- 9:55 a.m.--Kids on the Block program; gr. 3
- 12:55 p.m.--data meeting--Kurt, Angie, Kari & Karen
- 2:00 p.m.--data meeting--Janelle, Jessica W., Kari, & Karen
- 2:00 p.m.--possible case conference--Deb, Katy, Chelsie, Erin M. & Karen
- 2:50 p.m.--Gr. 3-6 NWEA training in MP room if no case conference is needed.
- 6:00 p.m.--Family Coding/Make It-Take It event--cafeteria, MP room, & media center
- 6:00 p.m.--archery practice
- Soup day!
- NCA work/planning--Karen & Beth all day
- 8:30 a.m.--Submit Student of the Week nomination
- 12:45 p.m.--Karen visits Amber's class for activity
- 2:40 p.m.--NEHS meeting
- 3:00 p.m.--meeting--Karen & Chelsie
- 4:00 p.m.--case conference--Chelsie, Karen, Beth, & Heather H.
- 6:30 p.m.--boys basketball practice
- Appetizer day!
- Josh at RC all day
- 7:30 a.m.--white elephant gift exchange in MP room
- 2:15 p.m.--Jar Wars in the gym!
- Winter break starts as soon as the kiddos are gone! :-)
ALTERNATE SPECIALS ON MONDAY
- CODING EVENT: Just a reminder that the family coding event is this Wednesday from 6:00-7:15 p.m. Please let me know if you are able to help out with the event. We will need several people to help run the games/simulations and assist families as they make games to take home. Chelsey will be leading parents and students in a coding activity, and she could use some help monitoring families as they complete the project. We also could use a photographer for the night too. Everything will be planned and set up for the event; we just need help facilitating the activities.
- NEU CONVO: Many thanks to sixth and first grade staff for planning the NEU convo for this month! It will be a great one!
- NWEA TRAINING: NWEA training will take place for grades 3-6 on Wednesday provided that I don't have a case conference that afternoon. I will keep you posted . . .
- JOSH'S SCHEDULE: Josh's schedule has changed a bit this week. He will be at RC and WC on Monday and then at RC all day on Friday. Just wanted to give you a heads up!
- JAR WARS: It's pie time! Let's meet no later than 2:15 p.m. in the gym on Friday to watch our lucky staff members get a pie in the face! :-)
PBIS FOOD FOR THOUGHT
On Friday I was at a PBIS conference in Indy. Much of what was discussed we have already developed or are on our way to developing, and it was good to see that we are on the right track!
One of the discussion points had to do with schoolwide and classroom incentives. The presenter talked about the need to have a goal or benchmark for the school/class and to include all in the "reward" stating that positive peer pressure can be a motivator for students. EX. Our goal is to reduce the number of office referrals by 10% during the month of December. She didn't say that individual "gotchas/rewards" were entirely bad, but encouraged the group in attendance to look more at schoolwide or class incentives instead. I'd have to say that challenged my thinking a bit. While we have done some schoolwide incentives, we also tend to do many individual rewards. For example, this past week, we had incentives for students who met the benchmark for earning Blue Ribbons on Study Island. After her discussion, I am thinking that she would suggest that we set a school goal for the number of ribbons earned and then all celebrate for achieving that goal.
What are your thoughts on school vs. individual incentives/rewards? Do we focus on one or the other? A combo?