By: Ryan Jay Worm
What is it?
- Underage drinking is when people under the age of 21consume alcohol.
Facts about underage drinking
- It is responsible for over 4,300 deaths yearly when underage drinking occurs.
- Underage drinkers consume more drinks per drinking occasion than adult drinkers.
- There have been over 189,000 emergency room visit in one year by people under age of 21 for injuries.
- Today the average age an American girl has her first drink is 13 and for a boy it's is 11.
Consequences of Underage Drinking
- Higher school absences and failing grades.
- Physical and sexual assault.
- Higher risk for suicide and homicide.
- Death from alcohol poisoning.
Resources for Underage Drinking
- Should talk to your doctor or counselor if you drink under the age.
- Phone Number: Whatever your doctors or counselor number is.