5th Grade News
February 22, 2016
- Please remind your child to complete his/her Think Through Math homework. The students should be completing 90 minutes of Think Through Math each week. The fulfillment of this requirement will be reflected as a separate assignment in math ("% completed" grade).
- Please encourage your child to return his/her library books. There are a lot of outstanding books that other students would like to check out. Thanks for your help on this one!
- We will be taking the math and reading PRACTICE STAAR this week (Tuesday and Wednesday). We will share your child's information with you next week.
Curriculum This Week
Practice Reading STAAR test: Wednesday, February 24
Summarize a reading passage
Identify main idea and details
Analyze a reading selection in order to determine the theme
Practice Math STAAR test: Tuesday, February 23
- Classify quadrilaterals
Recognize the properties and vocabulary of "special quadrilaterals"
Calculate the volume of rectangular prisms
Combine volumes of rectangular prisms
TEST: March 3
Topics 10 & 11: Algebra & Ordered Pairs and the Plane
- Understand and communicate the importance of earth's weather patterns
- Differentiate between weather and climate
- Understand and communicate the importance of the constitution and the way it has shaped America
What's on the Calendar?
23 Practice Math STAAR
24 Practice Reading STAAR
1 Picture Day (class picture and spring picture)
Puberty film/discussion (girls)
2 Practice Science STAAR
Puberty film/discussion (boys)
3 Open House 6:00 - 7:00 p.m.
4 Spirit Assembly 8:00 a.m.
7-11 SPRING BREAK
18 End of 3rd nine-weeks
24 Report Cards
25 NO SCHOOL (spring holiday)
29 Math STAAR
30 Reading STAAR
11-15 Spring Book Fair
21 Progress Reports
9 Math STAAR Retest
10 Reading STAAR Retest
11 Science STAAR
19 Haggard Field Trip (tour of school)
12-26 MAP Testing
27 No School (Teacher Work Day) (or a snow make-up day)
30 No School (Memorial Day)
2 Class Party (9:30 - 10:30)
Graduation (6:30 - 9:00 p.m.)
3 LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
8:00 - 9:00 Spirit Assembly
12: 00 EARLY RELEASE
Click to see 5th grade's Instagram pictures. Follow us on Instagram. Since our account is private, be sure to send an email to your child's homeroom teacher notifying her of your Instagram username.