The Friday Forecast
The Week of May 23-26, 2022
Shining Stars! WVUSD Honors Mustangs Making an Impact!
Last night, the Board of Trustees recognized Daniel Ji, Betsy Castellanos, Anaya Falcon, Abbie Laurel, and our new teachers!
🏅Daniel Ji was given the Superstar Student Award for all his success in Robotics, Cyber Security, and FBLA this year as well as investing multiple hours into community service from serving the homeless to teaching young kids robotics and coding.
🏅 Betsy Castellanos was given the Partner in Education Award for her involvement in the Walnut High Community Club and Latinx Parent Alliance Group. She has volunteered over 400 hours as a bilingual aide on our campus this school year helping our Spanish-speaking students.
🏅 Anaya Falcon was recognized for becoming the first State Wrestling Champion in Walnut High School History. Anaya went 32-0 this season winning a CIF Championship, CIF Southern Section Master Championship, and a State Championship - The Wrestling Triple Crown!
🏅 Abbie Laurel was recognized for being the Walnut High School board representative this school year.
🏅 Our new teachers were recognized and introduced to the Board of Trustees!
Schedule Next Week:
MONDAY - May 23
- *Periods 1-6 Regular Schedule - 7:50 am-2:45 pm
- Senior Breakfast 9am-1pm
TUESDAY - May 24
- *Periods 6 & 5 Minimum Day Finals Schedule - 7:50 am-12:05 pm
- Senior Graduation Practice 7:45am - Meet in the Gym
WEDNESDAY - May 25
- *Periods 1& 3 Minimum Day Finals Schedule - 7:50 am-12:05 pm
- Graduation Practice 7:45am - Meet in the Gym
- Senior Awards Night 6pm PAC
THURSDAY - May 26
- *Periods 2 & 4 Minimum Day Finals Schedule - 7:50 am-12:05 pm
Graduation Commencement Ceremony at 6:00 pm
Distribution of Diplomas 7:30 pm at the Gym
- Last Day of School
FRIDAY - May 27
- Summer Break Begins!
News and Announcements
IMPORTANT SENIOR DATES NEXT WEEK!
- Friday, May 20 - Senior Sunset - 6:00 pm in the Stadium
- Saturday, May 21 - Grad Night - 6:30 pm (Bus leaves at 7:00 pm) - Student Parking Lot
- Monday, May 23 - Senior Breakfast - 9:00 am in the gym
- Tuesday, May 24 - MANDATORY Graduation Practice - 7:45 am in the gym
- Wednesday, May 25 - MANDATORY Graduation Practice - 7:45 am in the gym
- Wednesday, May 25 - Senior Awards Night at 6:00 pm in the PAC
- Thursday, May 26 - Graduation! Seniors must arrive at the gym no later than 4:15 pm!
Yearbooks are Here!
To Tell You The Truth!
Walnut High School Cayuse released their yearbook to our Seniors yesterday and the rest of the school today - Volume 54!
A big shoutout to our yearbook advisor, So Hee Tan, & our yearbook students for putting together over 350+ pages recapping the entire school year. So much behind-the-scenes editing and late nights went into this yearbook!
FIVE ADDITIONAL MUSTANGS SIGN TO PLAY AT THE NEXT LEVEL!
Cesar Chavez - Cal State LA
Chris Perez - Augustus
Jacob Mikkelson - Montana Tech
Paris Webb - University of Arizona
Abbie Laurel - Cal Poly Pomona
FINALS WEEK SCHEDULE | May 24th-27th
We wanted to share our finals schedule to help our students prepare. May 23 will be a 1-6 regular schedule. We will start our finals schedule on May 24.
Important Graduation Information
Graduation will be held on Thursday, May 26, 2022 at Ken Gunn Stadium. The graduation ceremony will begin promptly at 6:00 pm. We are almost one week away from graduation and wanted to share some important information leading up to that special day.
- PARKING: Our student parking lot gates will open at 4:00 pm. We highly encourage you to carpool as there is limited parking in this lot. Parking on the street is available.
- SENIOR CHECK-IN: Graduates must arrive in the gymnasium by 4:15 pm to get checked in.
- GATES OPEN: Gates will open for general admission into the stadium at 5:00 pm. Handicapped seating is available starting at 4:30 pm. This week, seniors must visit Mr. Schultz to put guest names down on the handicap entrance list.
- GRADUATION TICKETS: Graduation tickets will be passed out to Seniors during graduation rehearsal on May 25.
- VIP GRADUATION SEATS & PARKING: Walnut High Community Club is offering VIP graduation seats and parking. Your WHCC donation for the seats and parking may be tax deductible as they are a 501c3 non-profit organization. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.
- LIVE STREAM: We plan to live stream the ceremony over YouTube live for friends and family who cannot attend. We will send that link out to you next week to share with others.
- PROHIBITED ITEMS: Any items that obstruct the view of someone sitting behind you are prohibited. This includes balloons, umbrellas, and large signs. We ask that you do not bring air horns or loud noise makers to the ceremony and are considerate of the people sitting around you.
We will continue to send updates as we get closer to graduation. We are excited to celebrate with you on this fantastic day for you and your grad!
CLASS OF 2022 | CHECK OUT STARTS TODAY!
- IB STOLE AND GRADUATION HONOR CORDS: Please stop by the ASB department for your stole and cords. IB stoles are $20.00 cash only, and cords are FREE, but you must qualify.
- SENIOR BREAKFAST: May 23 from 9 AM to 1 PM. Senior breakfast is a great chance to create memories with your classmates. Enjoy good food, photo booths, an entertaining hypnotist show, raffle prizes, and more! Buy your tickets at the ASB office for $25. Don’t miss out!
- RETURN YOUR CHROMEBOOK: If you checked out a Chromebook from WHS or the District for Distance Learning, please return Chromebooks to the TDC.
- PURCHASE TWO ADDITIONAL GRADUATION TICKETS: Seniors can purchase two additional tickets at $15 each at the ASB office. Purchase must be in cash or a check made out to Walnut High School. We will sell these two additional tickets until we run out of tickets. Tickets will be handout out to students the day before graduation at the second graduation practice.
- HANDICAP SEATING: If any of your guests need handicap seating, please stop by the ASB room to fill out the names required. It will count towards your ticket limit. Handicap seating is allowed to have one escort (18+) and will count towards your ticket limit.
Seniors: Your Google Drive Will Be Gone at the End of the Month!
THE CLASS OF 2022 CLASS PRESENTS : SENIOR breakfast
SENIOR Brunch is scheduled for Monday, May 23rdfrom 9-1 pm in the Gym. $25 or free with ASB card. Dress semi-formal.
Ticket purchase includes:
- Tasty Breakfast
- Photo ops and backdrops
- Raffle Prizes
- Hypnotist Show
- Good Music and Good Company!
CONGRATULATIONS KAITLIN CHHENG
CLASS OF 2022 | COLLEGE COMMITMENT SHOUT-OUT
It's that time of the year when our Seniors start deciding their next steps and which school they will be attending. We want to celebrate where they are attending school next year! Once they decide which school they plan to attend, please fill out the google form, upload a photo in their college gear with their acceptance letter, and we will feature our Seniors! Over the next six weeks, we will be recognizing this huge milestone in their life! We can’t wait to celebrate with you! (The google form is only accessible to WVUSD student accounts).
Best Buddies Prom
IMPORTANT TEXTBOOK ANNOUNCEMENT
IMPORTANT TEXTBOOK ANNOUNCEMENTS:
- Seniors must return textbooks no later than May 20th. Missing books may lead to a delay in receiving a diploma.
- All other grade levels have till May 27th to return textbooks.
- Location: Textbook Room and Library
- Questions? Please contact Tania at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SUMMER REGISTRATION VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!!!
Nutrition Services Department Refund Request
Mustangs Forever Fundraiser - VIP Graduation Seats & Parking
Enjoy your grads special day up close! Mustangs Forever VIP grad seats + parking package is now available.
A wonderful way to celebrate your grad’s milestone while helping our school.
Your WHCC donation may be tax-deductible as we are a 501c3 non-profit organization (EIN 84-3038734).
Congratulations Class of 2022!
Thank you for supporting our students and school!
Congrats Marquee Grad Shoutout!
Only 10 names per week starting in May on a first come first serve basis. Don’t miss out on your preferred week! There is a $25 donation requested and all funds go back to supporting our students and school.
New Bell Schedule for 2022-2023
In 2019, Gov. Gavin Newsom signed Senate Bill 328, which requires high schools next fall to start no earlier than 8:30 a.m. SB 328 is rooted in over three decades of research on teen health, sleep patterns, and brain chemistry. Its goal is to align school start times to support better sleep habits, student health, and performance in school.
Working closely with our staff and the district, we began preparing a plan to minimize disruption to our existing bell schedule and make any operational adjustments (transportation, food service, etc.) to support these changes.
Earlier this month, we finalized our new bell schedule that will go into effect starting next school year. To help you prepare for the changes in our start time and end times, we wanted to give you access to the updated schedule which will go into effect on August 8, 2022.
If you have trouble with the attachments, you can click below to access the files:
- Monday - Friday Bell Schedule
- Detailed Bell Schedule, including Minimum Days, Finals, and Rally Schedule
Thank you for being so understanding, patient, and flexible as we work through another change.
Don't Wait Until Tomorrow! Be Part Of The Cast Of Metropolitan Educational Theatre Network!
2022 Summer Sports Camp Schedules are out!
Walnut High's 10th Annual Golf Tournament
WHS Boys Basketball Summer Showcase
Water Polo Summer Info!
Buzzard's Peak Summer Aquatics Academy
Soccer Summer Camp
We look forward to seeing new faces and returning athletes.
Email Coach Blackford with questions at nBlackford@wvusd.org
1st Annual Volleyball Golf Tournament | June 1, 2022
The Walnut High School Girls Volleyball Program will be hosting their 1st Annual Golf Tournament on Wednesday, June 1, 2022, at Los Serranos Golf Club. This event raises vital funds to support our girl's volleyball program. These funds will be used to purchase much-needed equipment, tournament fees, transportation, meals, and supportive coaching staff to help them succeed on the court.
Our goal is to always provide a safe, instructive environment for all of our athletes to learn and develop skills to be better volleyball players, but more importantly, productive members of society and fielding a competitive program.
To continue to make this experience a reality for our program, we are reaching out directly to area businesses, family, and friends and offering the opportunity to help by becoming a sponsor.
Included in this letter is a brochure with a variety of sponsorship packages for you to review and details about the tournament. All donations to our volleyball program are tax-deductible. Our Tax ID # is 95-6003446. Your support for this event will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your consideration. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Contact details are below.
Go Mustangs Volleyball!
Procedure on Reporting a covid 19 case
Use the Walnut High School COVID 19 Reporting Form to report all Covid positive cases and known exposures. This will help facilitate the contact tracing process. Someone from the school health team will contact the person who submitted the form within 48 hours of the form submission.
Visit our website at www.walnuths.net and click on the button labeled REPORT A COVID-19 Case in the top left-hand corner. Parents can upload vaccine records, positive tests, and report details related to positive cases and possible exposure.
The information will go directly to the attendance office and our school nurse.
COVID testing: May 23-26
The following walk-up COVID-19 testing opportunities are available next week for WVUSD staff. Please note: WVUSD ID is required at time of testing.
Monday, May 23:
Diamond Bar High School
8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. STAFF ONLY
3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Tuesday, May 24:
Walnut High School
8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. STAFF ONLY
3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday May 25:
South Pointe Middle School
3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Please register using BOTH links below if you would like to be tested at a WVUSD school site: https://labportal.coronainfo.com/pre-register/walnutschool
No appointments are needed, but preregistration is requested.
Additional Testing opportunity offered by the City of Walnut:
Thursday, May 26:
Walnut Senior Center
4:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Walk-ups only - 300 Capacity
(Not a WVUSD-Sponsored Event)
CELEBRATE YOUR CHILD'S BIRTHDAY ON OUR MARQUEE!
BIRTHDAY MARQUEE is now available! If you have a student that has a birthday coming up, be sure to make a birthday dedication on the WHS marquee! All proceeds goes to support WHS students and staff so RESERVE YOURS TODAY!
Great idea for WHS staff, teachers and Alums too!
9th GRADE (Class of 2025)
Wil Lares (A – Lo) email@example.com
Sonia Nunez (Lu – Z) firstname.lastname@example.org
10th GRADE (Class of 2024)
Nathan Newman (A – Li) email@example.com
Jenny Alegre (Lo – Z) firstname.lastname@example.org
11th GRADE (Class of 2023)
Jennifer Tucker (A – Lim) email@example.com
Jeff Jacks (Lin – Z) firstname.lastname@example.org
12th GRADE (Class of 2022)
Ethan Doiron (A - Li) eDoiron@wvusd.org
Corolar Schultz (Lo – Z) email@example.com
ADP (Academic Design Program)
Viviana Hoyos firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer Peiten jLPeiten@wvusd.org
College Application & FINANCIAL AID Night | RECAP
Our GLCs held a College Application and Financial Aid Information Night over YouTube Live. Below the video contains the Frequently Asked Questions during Financial Aid Night 2021.
GET ON THE PATH TO BEING COLLEGE & CAREER READY!
This short video provides a variety of College and Career Readiness Resources for this years Seniors.
STUDENT CLASSROOM EXPECTATIONS
Students must attend every class, every day, and be on time. In order to receive daily credit, students are to bring all necessary materials to class. Students will not be excused from class to get materials. Homework and class assignments are to be completed on time and to the best of the student’s ability. Only behaviors befitting the learning environment are acceptable. Students are to comply with all reasonable requests of any staff member. Dress code will be enforced.
ATTENDANCE COUNTS | Reporting a Student Absence
Attendance is an essential part of each student's educational plan at Walnut High School. A parent/guardian must contact the attendance office for full-day absences by the end of the day. This procedure helps us fulfill required attendance monitoring obligations and helps ensure our students' safety.
Any student who arrives 30 mins late to school must check in to the attendance office either with a parent/ guardian or a phone call from their parent/guardian.
If a parent/guardian wishes to dismiss a student before the end of a typical school day, the parent/guardian will have to check out the student and must present their ID to the attendance office.
Attendance Reporting Hotline:
10 & 11 Grades: 909-594-1333 Ext. 43642
9 & 12 Grades : 909 - 594-1333 Ext 43625
SCHOOL LUNCH POLICY
Due to safety concerns, we DO NOT accept student lunches in the office. We understand the importance of student nutrition, but we encourage students to either purchase lunch at school or bring their lunch from home. Food, drinks, or other items are NOT to be passed to students through the fence. This is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
Please Note: Parents can now access the Food Services Department from our website under the Parents tab. On that page, parents can set up and deposit funds into their student's lunch account for purchasing lunch on campus.
VIRTUAL TOUR OF WALNUT HIGH SCHOOL
Never been on our campus? We used a 360-degree camera to help you get familiar with Walnut High School. We encourage you to click on the link, use your computer or mobile device to move around, and see what Walnut High School has to offer. Use this virtual tour to click on photos, learn more information, as well as hear voice-overs from our staff members. Below is a quick overview of our virtual tour and a map of all our scenes.
Our Virtual Tour is located on our webpage under "About Us" if you ever need access for future reference.