Knights' Monthly News
Our Guiding Principles
Our Mission:At NMS, we exist to ensure Every Child learns and makes impactful choices that igKNIGHT a purposeful future.
By 2024, NMS will be a Model PLC School.
The educators at NMS believe...
Every Child will have their ARMOR ready!
Every Child will learn from collaborative educators!
Every Child will learn at high levels!
Every Child will receive differentiated academic and behavioral support!
Every Child will develop their social and emotional skills!
Every Child will be celebrated for academic and behavioral mastery AND progress!
"The 2nd 9 Weeks is Here"
Dear Parents and Guardians,
The 2nd 9 Weeks is upon us! We are hosting Curriculum & Report Card Distribution Night on Thursday, October 14th at 5:30 pm. We would love to see you at this event as we will provide you with take-home activities to reinforce essential standards AND you will be able to pick up your child's report card.
The beginning of a new grading cycle brings new opportunities. We strive to make sure our students learn at the highest levels and ask for your help with this goal. Please help us by:
- Making sure your child attends school every day and arrives by 8:15 am.
- Access Skyward to monitor your child's grades throughout the grading cycle.
- Stay in contact with your child's teachers to monitor your child's progress.
- Encourage your child to always do his/her best.
- Celebrate your child's progress in school.
- Support all campus events.
We appreciate your partnership and look forward to making sure your child reaches his/her potential. Please let us know if we can better serve you and your child.
Your igKNIGHTed Principal,
Dr. HP Hyder, III
Our ARMOR Models
Please help us make sure your child is dressed in his/her ARMOR every day before he/she leaves home. Nothing can stand in the way of a KNIGHT in his/her shining ARMOR.
"October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month"
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month! Breast cancer has impacted millions of families around the world. I'm sure many of us can name family members and friends who have been impacted. This disease has directly affected my family as my mother is a breast cancer survivor!
To honor those who lost their lives to the disease, those fighting it now, and those who survived, every Friday in October is PINK Friday! So, go dig around in the closet and help your child find something PINK.
I cannot wait to see our students in PINK every Friday!
House Bill 4545
Before we can begin the accelerated instruction, 6th grade parents whose child did not pass a STAAR test, must participate in an accelerated learning committee meeting to develop an educational plan for the student and monitor progress. The law does not require parents of 7th and 8th graders to participate in the committee meetings. However, these students will receive accelerated instruction.
Below is a list of the possible content areas, by grade level, that a student may need to receive accelerated instruction for:
6th Grade - Math, Reading, and/or Science
7th Grade - Math and/or Reading
8th Grade - Math, Reading, and/or Writing
When providing accelerated instruction, HB 4545 recommends that the instruction be provided in a 1-on-1 or small group environment, with no more than 3 students in a small group. In order for us to meet the needs of more students, we will be sending a letter home asking for a waiver of the recommended group sizes.
As a means of aligning with the proposed group sizes, we will be offering accelerated instruction during advisory, extended blocked classes, after-school, and on Saturdays. Our students will engage in whole group mini-lessons, teacher-led small groups, and independent practice activities. By following this model, we are confident that our students will receive individualized attention from the teachers and make the expected progress.
Thank you in advance for your support and participation in the accelerated learning committee meetings.
"This Month's Happenings @ NMS"
Week of October 11th
- Tuesday, October 12th - 2nd 9 Weeks Begin
- Wednesday, October 13th - 6th & 7th Grade ELA and Science PSAs & 8th Grade PSAT Testing
- Thursday, October 14th - Curriculum & Report Card Distribution Night @ 5:30 pm
- Friday, October 15th - Hispanic Heritage Month & GT Referral Window Ends
- Saturday, October 16th - Saturday School @ 8 am-12:00 pm & B Team VB Tournament (7th Gr. Spring Branch MS & 8th Gr. @ Spring Forest MS)
Week of October 18th
- Monday, October 18th - 8th Grade Social Studies PSA
- Tuesday, October 19th - 6th-8th Grades Math & 8th Grade ELA PSAs
- Wednesday, October 20th - 8th Grade Science PSA & Early Dismissal Day @ 12:30 pm
- Thursday, October 21st - 8th Grade Science PSA
- Saturday, October 23rd - A Team VB Tournament (7th Gr. @ Spring Oaks MS & 8th Gr. @ Landrum) & Middle School All Region Orchestra Auditions
Week of October 25th - Red Ribbon Week
- Tuesday, October 26th - Girls' Basketball Try-outs Begin
- Thursday, October 28th - Knight Street @ 6 pm-7 pm
- Doors open @ 7:45 am for car riders and walkers. Please do not drop off your child before this time as there is no adult supervision.
- All students are required to wear their ID badges every day.
- All students must be in uniform every day.
- All students must turn off and stow their cell phones in their backpacks during the school day.
- Breakfast is served from 7:45 am - 8:15 am.
- Dismissal begins @ 3:55 pm.
Every Day Items
Reporting COVID Positive Cases
We understand that you may have reservations about sharing this sensitive information. Please know that all information shared will remain confidential and will only be shared with individuals who have a need to know.
"I think every day is a new day, every day is a new opportunity, and every day is a new chance."
– Jennifer Winget