Fifth Grade Newsletter
February 7, 2018
Get your Smencils for Valentine's Day
Class Party Money
If you have any questions or concerns about this or are unsure if you have paid, please contact Katie Augustine, PTA Treasurer (email firstname.lastname@example.org)!
Valentine's Day Festivities!
Our Valentine’s Day party will be on Thursday, February 14th at 1:30. A link will be sent out next week to preregister.
Valentine's Boxes -To keep things organized, we ask that students bring in a shoe box, brown bag, or a grocery sack (double bagged in case suckers make holes!) for collecting their Valentine goodies.
Optional Valentine’s Day Activity- We LOVE this 5th grade activity because we have some really creative kids!! Students can join the optional Valentine’s Box class competition and let those creative juices flow. In this competition, students will bring in a “box” that competes in one or more of the following categories:
- Best Use of Household Products
- Best Use of Valentine’s Day Theme
- Most Creative
- Best Overall
Students in the class will vote on their favorite box using a ballot. There will be prizes for one winner of each category. The box should not be larger than a copy paper box. Students may begin bringing boxes in on Monday, February 11 (NOT BEFORE) or keep their box a secret until the 14th! The ideas are endless. May the best boxes win!
February is a great month to celebrate friends and spread kindness. The Smith Elementary KC Club invites you to participate in these activities promoting friendship. February 11-14
- Monday Spread kindness by giving away compliments today. They don’t cost you a thing but they are priceless to others.
- Tuesday “True Blue” friend. Wear jeans or any blue clothing. Show others that you are a TRUE friend with your words and actions.
- Wednesday Mix It Up day. Wear mismatched clothes. At lunch we ill mix it up and sit with somebody new.
- Thursday Happy Valentine’s Day. Wear red and bring your cards for all your friends.
Symphony Field Trip
Also, please remember that this is a dress up event. Just like you wear different clothes to play sports that you would wear to school, we want them to understand the importance of this event and dress accordingly. Girls should wear a dress or skirt, or nice pants and a blouse. Boys should wear slacks and a nice shirt. We ask for no jeans with holes or t-shirts. We appreciate your help in making this a special event for our wonderful 5th graders.
Cold Weather and Recess
- We will go out for recess if the temperature/wind chill is ABOVE 37 degrees.
- If the temperature/wind chill is BETWEEN 32 and 37 degrees, we will go outside for half of recess.
- We will have indoor recess if the temperature/wind chill is BELOW 32 degrees.
- Teachers check the temperature/wind chill shortly before recess time (10:00 am).
Reading - Main Idea in Nonfiction
Writing - Research-Based Opinion Writing
Science - Earth and Space Review
Social Studies - Civil War
Order Your Yearbook!
February 7 - Rising 6th grade parent meeting at Clark Middle School 6:00 PM
2/11-2/14 - Friendship Week
February 14-Valentine's Party 1:30-2:30
February 15 and 18-No School
February 19 - 5th Grade Symphony Field Trip