Self-Propelled Boxcar Derby
Raven Correspondence School, Anchorage Office
Feel the NEED for SPEED!
Friday, Sep. 25th, 12:45-2:15pm
2020 West 48th Avenue
Cost: $20/participant - You may use allotment funds if SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY or ART is on your student's ILP.
What is it?
A fun and engaging competition in which students will be challenged to design their own self-propelled derby car! At home, students will:
- Use a standard pinewood derby kit to construct their own car.
- Design a unique and original way for their car to propel itself forward without being pushed.
- Paint and/or decorate their car.
Then, all the student participants will gather together for the competition!
Deadline: In order to participate, you must e-mail Valerie (email@example.com) by Friday, September 4 with:
- Student Name
- Student Grade
- Entry Type - Individual or Group
- Requested Payment Type - Allotment or Cash (payable at the Anchorage Raven Office by 4:30pm on Friday, September 4th)
Rules & Competition Information
Supplies: Each individual participant or group is limited to $20, including the cost of the derby kit but not including shipping costs, to:
- Construct your car using a standard pinewood derby kit.
- Paint or decorate your car.
- Make your car GO!
12:45pm: Arrive, Help Set Up and Get Your Car Ready!
1:00pm: Competition Begins
2:00pm: Awards Ceremony
2:15pm: Help Clean Up and Go Home!
There will be 4 award categories:
- Fastest: The car that's able to go the fastest speed, starting from a flat, stopped position and without being pushed.
- Farthest: The car that's able to go the farthest distance from a flat, stopped position without being pushed. We will measure distance by farthest point on the car's trajectory path compared to its starting point.
- Flashiest: The car that looks the most awesome! This is an award on which all participants and spectators will vote. Each person will be able to cast two votes.
- Freshest: The car that has the most innovative design for its self-propelling properties.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.