A newsletter for Walden Families
February 19, 2021
February 23: Signs of Suicide (SOS) parent night.
February 24: Incoming 7th and 8th grade guardian optional informational zoom
February 25: Signs of Suicide (SOS) parent night.
March 2: PTA Fundraisers at Freddy's
Walden shares about Character Strong
Park Hill's SOS Signs of Suicide Prevention Program Virtual Information Night
During this challenging year, we have been teaching students about mental wellness and how to seek help if they are worried about themselves or a friend. To help us do this, we are using a program called Signs of Suicide, or SOS.
Thousands of schools have used SOS, and studies show that it effectively teaches students about depression and suicide while reducing the number of students’ self-reported suicide attempts. Through the program, students learn about the signs of depression and suicide, that it is treatable, and how to ACT if they are concerned: Acknowledge, Care and Tell a trusted adult. We also help students identify whom they can turn to at school for help.
Please join us as we share with families how we are using SOS in our schools. We are offering four separate sessions for parents and guardians: 6 to 7 p.m. on February 16, 23, 25 and March 4. Pick a session from the drop-down box. After you register, we will send you a confirmation email with information about joining the webinar.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Character Strong Awards for February! Congratulations!
Congratulations to these Walden students that participated in the spelling bee!
Income based VIRTUAL students only - Free eye exams and glasses.
If you have questions please call Katherine Kraai, Social Worker at Walden Middle School 816-359-6811
Vision and Hearing Screenings
Session 3 Intramurals Information
For 3rd Quarter Intramurals, we will again be offering in-person homework help for all students, including students who are a part of Park Hill Online.
Here are the important details:
- January 26th – February 25th, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:15-4:50pm
- 40 students max per day, spaced at least 6 feet apart in the cafeteria, with a seating chart
- If you do not want your student to attend in person, but they are working at home and have a question, they can reach out to one of the hosts of the intramural via Microsoft Teams. The available teacher will be indicated on the SignUp Genius. You do not need to sign up for this.
- Busses will be available to take students home after intramurals – we will make a seating chart for the bus as well
- Your student can sign up for both Tuesday and Thursday if you want, but if you sign up for a day your student does not attend school, you will need to provide transportation to Walden, but they can ride the bus home.
- Signing up:
- Signups will close at 10am on the day of the intramural.
- You can sign up for each day you want your child to attend, but we ask that if you later discover your student will not have anything to work on, you remove their name from the signup.
- If you have multiple students attending, please sign up for that many slots, so that we do not go over the 40 student limit.
- SIGN UP HERE
Character Strong at Walden! Congratulations to our Champions and Model!
Student Antigen Testing
Starting on January 4, Park Hill School District started to offer antigen testing to students who have COVID-19 symptoms. We already offer this to staff members. If your child has symptoms, please contact the school nurse at 816-359-4244.
If your child is experiencing symptoms of Covid-19 and are wanting to have them tested, here's how:
1.) Must be a student in the Park Hill School District.
2.) Must have symptoms.
3.) Call School nurse for consult 359-4244, once verified you will be given a number to make appointment for testing site.
4.) Click and print this consent form below. (Fill out prior to your child's appointment.)
Please contact me if your child has an exposure or symptoms of Covid, or if you have any health or wellness concerns at any time.
Heather Howell, BSN, RN
Walden Middle School Nurse
Welcome to Park Hill's Parent University!
Park Hill Parent University provides resources for families as they engage with their child in online learning. Topics include a variety of resources related to operating district devices, navigating online learning tools and building resilience through social and emotional learning.