GCA Parent Newsletter: January 2016 Edition
In this edition:
- A motivational message from Mr. Thomson
- Question of the month
- Learning Coach strategies for success
- Parent Meeting dates & links
- Parent University
- Capitol Day
- Regional Family Engagement News
- K12 Learning Coach Workshop
- PTSO News
- ... and more
Question of the Month:
Interested in what other Learning Coaches have to say? Click below for Questions from previous months:
October: "Why did you choose GCA?"
Do you have questions? Well, we've got answers!
Weekdays at 12:00 pm and a 7:00 pm evening session once per week. Check the GCA Events Calendar for dates, times, and room link.
Can't make a live session? Submit your question below and we'll be in touch.
LC Strategy #1: MIC One-Pager
-Susan Edwards, Region 3
Are you a GCA Volunteer?
District Town Hall Parent Meeting!
Thursday, Jan. 21st, 7pm
This is an online event.
Please join GCA Head of School Matt Arkin, board members, school principals, and other administrators for a district-wide parent meeting to hear all about HOT TOPICS for the upcoming quarter. The meeting will conclude with breakout rooms for each of the 12 GCA regions to meet with their regional parent leaders. Don't miss it!
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Upcoming Parent Meetings:
Parent Meeting - Thursday, February 18, 2016 @ 7:00 pm (click to enter live meeting)
Parent Meeting - Thursday, March 17, 2015 @ 7:00 pm (click to enter live meeting)
Parent Meeting - Thursday, April 14, 2015 @ 7:00 pm (click to enter live meeting)
Town Hall Meeting - Thursday, May 19, 2016 @ 7:00 pm (click to enter live meeting)
Parent University Recordings:
October 2015: Understanding Assessment Data
November 2015: Student Ownership and Motivation - Part I (at the end of the parent meeting)
December 2015: Counseling and Family Resources - where to go for help (at the end of the parent meeting)
December 2015: Teaching my child to take ownership of his/her own learning
November 2015: High School Math - Learning Coach Survival Skills
December 2015: High School Clubs 101
K12 Learning Coach University
This month's sessions:
Tuesday, January 12th @ 12:30 pm - Integers/comparing, additions, and subtraction
Wednesday, January 13th @ 4:00 pm - Tips and Tricks for the Online High School
Tuesday, January 19th @ 12:30 pm - Intro to essay/Phrases; Verbals and Verbal Phrases
Tuesday, January 19th @ 4:00 pm - Quick Take Blackboard Collaborate Tips and Tricks
Monday, January 25th @ 1:00 pm - Tips and Tricks for the Online High School
Tuesday, January 26th @ 12:30 pm - Integers/multiplication and division
As a new or returning learning coach, you may be reluctant to ask for help; it may feel more comfortable talking to other learning coaches in similar situations, if you have questions The Coach Cafe is the place for you.
The Coach Cafe will have experienced learning coaches available to help answer your questions. The Coach Cafe is accessed via the GCA PTSO Website, click the Coach Cafe link (black coffee cup) along the sidebar. We looking forward to helping you.
Please fill out the survey below to let us know the questions you want answered during the next two sessions:
Capitol Day 2016!
GFPVE Capitol Day - January 27, 2016
Highlights of the event include:
- Free t-shirts. The first 250 students that check-in the morning of the event receive a free t-shirt.
- A Scavenger Hunt for the students at the State Capitol. Every student that successfully completes the hunt is entered in a prize drawing. Last year's prizes included a Nintendo DS, iPod, and headphones.
- A free Chick-fil-A box lunch is provided for the first 500 RSVPs. A request will be made for a donation of $5/box lunch on RSVPs over 500. Once we achieve 500 RSVPs it will be noted on this website and the RSVP link.
- Great Guest Speakers. In years past leaders like State Senate President Pro Tem David Shafer have been the keynote speaker and he has been a great champion for our schools.
- Important Legislative Visits. Parents visit the Capitol to meet with their local legislators and share stories about why they chose online education as the best option for their child.
With your support, we can have our best ever event in 2016!
Don't Miss Capitol Day 2016! Be a part of movement and the excitement! Follow the link below to register:
Clayton, DeKalb, Fayette, Fulton, and Henry Counties
Bartow, Cherokee, Cobb, Douglas, and Paulding Counties
3-Day Summer Seminars for High School Students!
Are you between the ages of 14 and 26? Are you new to economics or want to acquire the superpowers of economic thinking that will help you see the world in a whole new way? Join top students, successful business leaders, and top-notch teachers & professors to discover the relationship between personal and social wealth and the virtues of an enterprising life at a 3-Day Summer Seminar, taking place in Georgia and other states around the U.S. at various universities. Applications are now being accepted and the earlier you apply, the better chance you have at getting in. Visit www.fee.org/seminars and click on the FEE Seminars tab. Tuition & Travel scholarships available! Special Instructions for GCA students:
· Please list Georgia Cyber Academy as your school on your application. (Not GCA or another acronym)
· Check the box for "I would like to apply for a tuition scholarship" on your application (1st 100 accepted students from Georgia Cyber Academy are guaranteed a full $79 tuition scholarship (covers tuition, dorm lodging, and all meals) and will be reimbursed upon seminar completion.
· Write why you believe you qualify to receive a tuition scholarship on your application
· Students are welcome to apply for the travel scholarship as well, but this is not guaranteed
· Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. Thank you.
2015-2016 PTSO Membership Dollar Drive!
$1 PTSO Memberships
For a LIMITED time, all 2015-2016 PTSO memberships are $1!!! ANY and ALL money you give to the PTSO goes back to GCA and your Region in the form of events and opportunities for you and your students!
We Love Clubs!
Does your student want to connect with other students who share a common interest? Clubs are the way to do that! Many clubs are sponsored by GCA teachers or Learning Coaches, and others are offered at the national level by K12. A state list of in-person clubs is growing, so be sure to see if there are any clubs happening close to you!
Fundraising from home:
Bring items to any GCA Event or mail them to:
2387 Rodgers Dr. SE,
Conyers, GA 30094
If you have any questions, or would like to help with our Labels for Education collection drive, please contact our Labels for Education Coordinator, Shirley Lester, at (470) 269-3643 or via email at email@example.com or visit: http://www.gcaptso.org/fundraising.html to learn more.
Thank you for your support.
Box Tops for Education
Bundle these into groups of 50 using rubber bands, envelopes or baggies. Label each bundle with "50" on the outside.
Labels for Education
Separate 1-, 5- and 10-point UPCs, beverage/sauce caps and Bonus Certificates. Place them in paper lunch bags, envelopes or clear plastic bags. Label each bag with the total amount of UPCs and point values contained inside.
Note: Make sure the Bonus Certificate bundle is marked “Bonus Certificates” and is packed with the first box/packet of your submission.
Please do not use staples or excessive amounts of tape as these materials are not recyclable.
There's a Facebook group for Learning Coaches who live near you...
Get in touch with other Learning Coaches for community building and support. Click on your region below to get started.
Region 8 (Chattahoochee, Clay, Muscogee, Crisp, Dooly, Harris, Macon, Marion, Quitman, Randolph, Schley, Stewart, Summer, Talbot, Taylor, and Webster. Harris, Marion, Muscogee, and Chattahoochee counties)
GCA Board of Directors Meeting
The Georgia Cyber Academy is governed by a Board of Directors composed of nine community leaders, some of whom are GCA parents.
The next Board Meeting will occur on January 20th.