Adams Family newsletter
February 13 - February 17
From the Principal's Desk
We hope that you all are enjoying the beautiful weekend. The sunshine is wonderful.
You should have received information from your student regarding the Adams PAC spring fundraiser. If you did not receive a flier, please contact your child's teacher or the office.
Winter conferences are fast approaching so please make sure you look for the online sign up. The dates for conferences are Tuesday February 21 and Thursday February 23.
Let's have a great week.
Adams Winter Conferences
February is "I Love to Read" Month!
A reading calendar will be sent home with each student. Students will track how many minutes they read each day. If students reach their grade level minute goal, they will have earned themselves a free book. The books will be passed out after spring break.
Additionally, in each grade level the class with the highest number of reading minutes will have earned an extra free book per student in that class. Updates will be shown every Friday in February on the Redhawk News.
My request is for you to pass out calendars (these will be in your mailboxes on Monday), collect calendars at the end of the month and encourage students to participate.
Grade level reading goals:
- K/1 - 250 minutes
- 2/3 - 400 minutes
- 4/5 - 500 minutes
Here is what counts as reading:
- Read to self at home or school
- Read to someone else at home or school
- Listen to reading at home or school
Adams Parent Advisory Council (PAC)
Items from our PAC
2/5 Spring Fundraiser Kickoff
- At a fall PAC meeting, we sampled pastry puffins to consider as a spring fundraiser. They were, overwhelmingly, popular!
- This week, we'll launch it!
- Our sales goal is $5000 (for new playground equipment) OR each student to sell 3 products. Special grade 5 challenge: any money raised will go towards an end-of-year field trip!
- Sales are open until Tuesday, February 21.
- Here's the link to students' online account: https://store.myfundraisingplace.com/RegisterSeller/26863863-5100-4011-b107-1e4370ad019f
MONDAY 2/13: PAC meeting 6:30-8 p.m.
- Note: it's on Monday, so that everyone can spend time with their favorite people on Tuesday: Valentine's Day.
- Come find out what is happening at school, and help create events for our students, families, and community.
- Come @6 to socialize. We'll bring treats! Meeting starts @6:30.
- You can join meetings virtually, if you like. Here's how to connect: meet.google.com/uyk-otey-hra OR scan the QR code.
- For the kids: fun activities! Bring your students to play with their Adams friends while you connect with other adults.
2/17: Free Family Movie @ Coon Rapids High School
- There will be a talent showcase, movie, and concessions (for purchase)
2/22: Restaurant Night @LeAnn Chin's
@101 89th Ave NE, Blaine @ 11a.m. -8 p.m.
- A portion of sales will come back to support events and activities at Adams
Birthday grams: Parent Advisory Council will deliver treats to students and staff throughout the year to celebrate birthdays! Cost: $5 You can order or donate a birthday gram here. (https://my.cheddarup.com/c/2022-23-birthday-grams?cart=94ace1c1-1f50-4cb4-9ac3-298fee1f5acf%21%2142034918)
From our volunteer service coordinator (VSC)
We love our volunteers!
As always, THANK YOU for taking the time to support the community of Adams Elementary. Even small acts of kindness make a big difference. Our hallways are brighter and our students are benefiting from the various ways our volunteers have contributed.
BOOK FAIR: We are looking for volunteers to help students with purchasing books during Winter Conferences. Morning and evening hours available. Sign up here!
KINDERGARTEN: Work with our Kindergartners to build their reading and math skills (2-hour training is provided and required).
1ST GRADE: Come in once a week to help our First Graders with simple reading and math activities.
WORKROOM: Cut laminate, make copies, and prepare paper projects either in the workroom or at home.
COKE GIVES: Turn in codes on box flaps (where you open the box to access the cans) or bottle caps so we can enter them and earn money for Adams!
Do you, a grandparent or your high schooler want to help at Adams? Today is a great day to sign up!
Character Strong - Empathy
From our School Social Worker
Cold Weather Rule: It’s Cold Weather Rule Time again (CWR)! CWR runs from October 1st to April 30th every year and provides protections to eligible utility customers from having electricity/natural gas shut off during this time. Customers may need to request protection and commit to a payment plan.
Attached, please find Cold Weather Rule FAQS. Additional Flyers in multiple languages can be found here, if useful.
Many Energy Provider’s Websites contain Cold Weather Rule information, you may click on each provider below for more information/ application to apply for protection.
For information about Energy Assistance Programs for (2022-2023) in Anoka County, including income guidelines and applications, please visit the ACCAP site- The Energy Assistance Program began October 1st and ends May 31st, 2023:https://accap.org/energy-assistance/. Links for additional utility assistance programs, including The Salvation Army’s Heatshare, can be found here as well.
- Please note: Some programs may require a denial for local county assistance, etc. to quality. Please check each site to see what program requirements are.
- Further information on Anoka County Emergency Assistance programs that may assist prevent utility shut offs for eligible households: https://www.anokacountymn.gov/199/Emergency-Programs
From our Parent Educator
Please see February's Parent Press.
Summer School 2023 Info
Please use the link below for some information regarding summer school. Adams is fortunate to be a summer school site this year.
Adams Redhawks are Kind, Safe, Respectful and Responsible
This e-newsletter is published by Adams Elementary School. Questions, comments or concerns about the school e-newsletter? Contact us.