MoASSP Messenger February 14, 2020
Volume 33 Number 18
WELCOME BACK TO MoASSP
- Jason Haniger New Mark Middle School email@example.com Assistant Principal KC
- Robert Geist New Mark Middle School firstname.lastname@example.org Assistant Principal KC
- Bridget Collins Villa Duchesne and Oak Hill School email@example.com Principal SL
- Fritz Long Duchesne High School firstname.lastname@example.org Principal SL
- Brad Snell Northwest High School email@example.com Principal SL
Please share this link with colleagues who are not members of MoASSP. They are missing out. There is exceptional value in a MoASSP membership.
IN THIS ISSUE OF THE MESSENGER
- See who has joined MoASSP in recent days.
- Happy Valentine's Day
- FREE Computer Training for teachers
- Spirited debate at the Capitol
- POY Announcements
- New MoASSP Online Community
- Missouri Scholars 100 Deadline is Feb. 21
- New General Session at the Spring Conference called INSIGHT for Leadership
- Videos for inspiration and building community
- ACT resources
- A request from Educators Rising
- Principals can be the key to improved math and reading
- Our travels took us to Southeast Missouri in recent days
- You still have time to register for the Reid Workshop Feb. 19
UPDATE FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, Clark Mershon
HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY
FREE COMPUTER TRAINING FOR YOUR TEACHERS
There is still funding available to support teachers wanting to take the Computer Science Assessment through Pearson or to attend “approved” training programs.
- CLICK HERE for more information on training
- CLICK HERE for funding reimbursement
- Attention Middle School Principals
- If you are in a K-8 environment, there is free computer science training through MOREnet. CLICK HERE to see the dates and locations for training this spring.
SPIRITED DEBATE THIS WEEK AT THE CAPITOL
Throughout this week, I was able to live stream many of the hearings and debates on the House floor. The Legislative Bulletin will be coming out later today with a complete summary of what has happened in Jeff City during this sixth week of the session. Be ready to respond to a call to action about charter expansion SB 603 and SB 649, charter recovery SB 525, and probably property assessment HB 1710. We aren’t sure what the House will do as HB 1710 has not yet been put on the calendar as of yesterday. The Senate Bills are in the top five on the calendar, so there is a good chance they will be brought up in the Senate next week. STAY TUNED AND BE READY RESPOND. I have also included an update below on how many new principal advocates have joined Phone2Action in recent days and state senators contacted. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK PRINCIPALS.
We announced the Jim L. King Missouri MS and HS Principals of the Year on Monday. Congratulations to Dr. Mike Straatmann, Principal at Truman MS in Lindbergh Schools and Dr. Eric Johnson, Principal at Winnetonka HS in North Kansas City Schools. In case you missed it, I have included the press releases below.
We rolled out our first ever MoASSP Online Community this week. I invite you to take a gander and see what this new collaborative tool is all about for MoASSP members. MoASSP Connect is a way to bring secondary school leaders together in a collaborative venue to share ideas, solicit the advice of peers, and participate in an ongoing conversation. "MoASSP Connect" is under the umbrella of the Ed Leaders Network (ELN), and we will follow their "Code of Conduct." Several have already posted to the community. We invite you to do the same and begin using this statewide collaborative tool to connect with colleagues. For more information, CLICK HERE.
MISSOURI SCHOLARS 100 DEADLINE IS ONE WEEK FROM TODAY
The deadline is approaching for nominations for the 26th Annual Missouri Scholars 100. All nominations are due in our office by 4:00 PM on February 21. CLICK HERE for all the information you need. If you have questions, don't hesitate to call our office at 5763-445-5071 or email Mary Davis.
48TH ANNUAL SPRING CONFERENCE
We're excited about a new General Session at the Spring Conference, called "INSIGHT FOR LEADERSHIP." Check out below the ten presenters who will be sharing INSIGHT on Tuesday, March 31. To register for the conference, CLICK HERE.
A COUPLE OF VIDEOS FOR INSPIRATION & BUILDING COMMUNITY
I've included two videos below for you to consider as you think about inspiration and building community for your next staff meeting.
MSIP 6 APPROVED
The State Board of Education at their monthly meeting on Tuesday approved the new standards for MSIP 6. For more information, CLICK HERE. The new standards will go into effect on February 11, 2022. Here is an article from St. Louis Public Radio.
STATES REQUIRING FASA TO GRADUATE
An interesting article on how three states are moving toward a new graduation requirement, requiring all seniors to complete a FASA application.
In case you missed it in the last Messenger, you can access ALL the ACT resources through the "Library" within the MoASSP Connect. CLICK HERE.
A REQUEST FROM EDUCATORS RISING
Educators Rising members are high school students considering a career in education. They need volunteer judges for state competitions. State winners qualify to compete at national competitions. Please share it as appropriate. Register to be a judge at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/3SGCV6N
Whether you are aspiring, emerging, developing, or transformational, wherever you are on the "Principal's Journey," it is a "matter of principal(ple)." Clark Mershon
YOU MIGHT THINK ABOUT OPENING OR CLOSING A STAFF MEETING WITH THIS VIDEO BELOW BY "JUST ASK PUBLICATIONS"
NEW GENERAL SESSION AT THE SPRING CONFERENCE...INSIGHT FOR LEADERSHIP
- Monica Fulton: Rolla MS
- Ed Gettemeier: Hardin MS
- Josh Hume: Sweet Springs HS
- Andy Jackson: LaPlata HS
- Eric Johnson: Winnetonka HS
- Clint Ross: Lawson HS
- Gena Sitton: Advance HS
- Mike Straatmann: Truman MS
- Theresa Wilson: Carl Junction HS
AN IDEA ON HOW TO BUILD COMMUNITY WITHIN CLASSROOMS...WATCH THIS 60 SECOND VIDEO
VISIT TO SCOTT CITY IN SOUTHEAST REGION
MoASSP CALLS ON STE. GENEVIEVE HIGH SCHOOL
SASSP Aspiring Assistant Principals' and Athletic Directors' Workshop Last Thursday At Ed Plus in St. Louis
You Still Have Time to Register for the Reid Workshop Feb. 19: Developing Investigative Interviewing Skills
IF YOU ARE NEEDING TECH SUPPORT FOR ELN CONTACT ALEX DILLON
As a member of MoASSP, you have access to the Ed Leaders Network (ELN). If you have forgotten how to access your ELN subscription, contact Alex Dillon, Tech Support Specialist for ELN. Alex's email is firstname.lastname@example.org. Or, you can call Alex at 217-321-9571.
MoASSP office receives phone calls from school districts requesting to post principal vacancies. We have included three popular job posting sites below for your information.
Missouri Administration Jobs
Missouri Administration Jobs
2019-2020 BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- NASSP Coordinator for Missouri: Chris Hoehne
Ste. Genevieve HS
- MoASSP President: Marc Spunaugle, Lincoln HS
- MoASSP President-Elect: Jim Pritchett, Rolla HS
- MoASSP Past President: Ed Gettemeier, Hardin MS
- MoASSP Treasurer: Kathryn Greer, Francis Howell North HS
- At-Large Non-Public: Valerie Todd, St. Mary's HS
- At-Large Assistant Principal: Jennifer Strauser, Eureka HS
- At-Large Middle Level: Jonathan Apostol, Monett MS
- Kansas City (GKCMPA): Jeff Meisenheimer, Lee's Summit North HS
- Northwest: Robert Bowers, Lathrop HS
- Northeast: Scott Daly, Hallsville HS
- Southeast: Dan Hecht, Kelly-Benton HS
- Southwest: Keith White, Buffalo HS
- South Central: Kelle McCallum, Washington HS
- Central: Brandon Harding, Cole Camp HS
- St. Louis (SASSP): Jonathan Shultz Francis Howell HS
2019-2020 REGIONAL PRESIDENTS
- Central Region: Jarrod Steffens, Clinton HS
- GKCMPA: Kayla England, Lee's Summit West HS
- Northeast Region: Andy Jackson, LaPlata HS
- Northwest Region: Clint Howren, Savannah MS
- SASSP: Gary Jansen Crestview MS (Rockwood SD)
- South Central Region: Joe Stammers, St. James HS
- Southeast Region: Gena Sitton, Advance HS
- Southwest Region: Jack Randolph, West Plains HS
Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals
The vision of MoASSP is to serve ALL middle level and high school administrators.
The mission of MoASSP is to improve secondary education through positive leadership and the enhancement of student performance.