CSA Lincoln Newsletter
Principal's Notes and Highlights
The 5th graders announced during Town Hall Meeting this morning that ISTEP testing (grades 3-6) is next week. It was met with more than a few groans from the audience, but was quickly replaced with a roaring cheer when we announced this year's theme. If you didn't know, we have a dodgeball championship belt. It's a pretty big deal. Mr. Sterling even shared a few pictures of field trips his class has taken recently with the championship belt (pictured). So to have some fun with the next week of testing, classes can earn a bid to the CSA Lincoln Dodgeball Tournament by listening to their coaches (teachers), staying focused, competing well, supporting each other and participating in the theme days (see below). Each grade level has different color headbands to unify them and classes will be coming up with their team name.
I know ISTEP isn't the most important thing we will do this year, but in anything we do, we should do our best with the goal of being successful. Our school has been a leader in the district on state test scores the last two years and we celebrated that this morning. We appreciate your help in making sure they come to school ready to "compete" these next several days.
ISTEP THEME DAYS (All grades are encouraged to participate!)
Tuesday-Our MATHLETES will be taking the math portion of the ISTEP. We have headbands for our mathletes as they work up a good sweat. Workout clothes are encouraged. Mr. Shipley even suggested he may wear tights...
Wednesday- "Be in the Zone". Baseball gear and ball caps are welcome as our students focus in on the test. Eye black (less is more) is welcome. Please leave the equipment bag at home.
Thursday- We will be "Dunking on ISTEP". Time to break out the basketball jerseys!
Friday- Our professional wrestlers will "Take down ISTEP". Mr. Shipley is a big professional wrestling fan so we hope you'll get in on the fun. We might even have an award for best dressed!
Have a great weekend!
Updates and Upcoming Events
- School Safety Update-We recently reviewed our safety procedures and found an opportunity for improvement. Starting Monday, the downstairs door will lock at 7:45 a.m. instead of 8:00 a.m. Any student that arrives after 7:45 a.m. will need to enter through the main office doors. A staff member will now be positioned at the downstairs entrance for morning duty to monitor student entry. We ask that parents drop their student off at the door. If you want to walk them in the building, you'll need to come to the main office. Thank you for your cooperation.
- ISTEP and iRead(3rd Grade only) Dates: We will be testing every morning between Tuesday, February 28th and Friday, March 2nd for ISTEP. iRead (3rd grade only) will also test Monday, March 5th and Tuesday, March 6th in the morning. Please try and schedule doctor appointments around those dates. Also, please let us know if you will not be there on those dates so we can plan accordingly. Thank you!
- Helping the Homeless- Sydney and Sophie (5th Grade) approached me a couple weeks ago with an interest in helping those who are homeless. They have been working extremely hard on their own time and will be working with local businesses on their own. Here is an outline of what they are sharing with the community. We are very proud of their initiative and desire to go above and beyond!
- Abby, Braelei, Emily and Cali (3rd Grade) have been working on an independent project about CSA Lincoln. Please check out this video of their interview with Kindergarten students. Excellent work ladies!
- CSA Lincoln is collecting Pop Tabs for Ronald McDonald House as part of Key Club's (North and East High Schools) 17th Annual Aluminum Tab Collection Contest. Please send in your tabs to school. The tabs collected will be turned into money that supports the Ronald McDonald House! See flyer (below) for more information.
- The Staff vs. Student Basketball Game will be held on Wednesday, March 7th. We will be having a Paw Pack Party for all grades after school on that date. The cost is $5 and will include a snack after school before the game and we will escort your students over to Central Middle School to watch the game. The game will start at 5 p.m. Admission to families or students who only want to attend the game is free. A permission slip will be coming home soon. Proceeds of the event will go to support the 6th Grade Chicago Trip.
Husky Gram Winners
Last call for Pacers Prize Package contest entry!
You still have until midnight tonight to enter the contest on the community Facebook page! All you have to do is show us that CSAL is your assigned Kroger Rewards card organization and your name will be entered into the drawing to win a Pacers Prize Package that features 2 tickets to see the Pacers on March 5th!
Post a picture of your Kroger receipt (It shows your rewards organization printed at the bottom)/screenshot of your account page (log into/set up your account at www.kroger.com under the "Savings and Rewards" heading) showing CSAL as your Community Rewards organization (#11083) to the contest post pinned on the CSA Lincoln Community Facebook Page.
The giveaway game night is fast approaching and TODAY IS THE LAST DAY TO ENTER with the winner being announced on Monday, Feb 26th.
Pacers Prize Package Winner Announcement - 2/26
CSA Lincoln Pacers Night - 3/23
DARE ICE SKATE NIGHT
Our annual DARE ICE SKATE NIGHT will be on Saturday March 3rd from 6-8 p.m. We would like to invite 5th and 6th graders and their families out to Hamilton Center for this event. Admission is $5.00 per person. Food and drinks will be available for purchase.
Lt. D. Matthew Harris
Public Relations Officer
Columbus Police Department
123 Washington Street
Columbus, IN 47201
CSA Lincoln on Instagram/Facebook/Twitter
Facebook: CSA Lincoln Community
WHAT IF WE NEEDED YOU TO KNOW...
WHAT IF there was an EMERGENCY? WHAT IF we needed to GET INFORMATION TO YOU? This is a QUICK and EASY way to communicate needed information TO YOU!
Click here to join the CSA Lincoln group.
Click here for directions on how to receive text message updates from Mr. Findley